    Internet.

    How do I check to see what is running ?

    Bob

    Bob, May 8, 2007

  2. Bob

    HH Guest

    What operating system? If XP, right click on the Taskbar and select Task
    Manager. There is a tab for open applications and one for smaller utilities,
    etc., called Proccesses. Also, clicking the Performance tab will reveal how
    much CPU usage going on.

    HH

    HH, May 8, 2007

  3. Bob

    Tester Guest

    On Tue, 08 May 2007 07:28:45 -0400, Bob <> wrote:

    > Every time I do a cold start with my Presario V5000 something is
    >running that hogs the CPU for 1 ~ 1 1/2 hours. This has been going on
    >for a week now. No, it is not a virus and does not try to access the
    >Internet.
    >
    > How do I check to see what is running ?
    >
    > Bob

    There's a program called MSCONFIG. It is included with Windows but, at
    least in my experience, it usually isn't installed.

    Try running msconfig.

    If that doesn't work, try running cmd and in the cmd box run the
    following commands:

    cd \I386
    expand -r MSCONFIG.EX_
    expand -r MSCONFIG.CH_
    move msconfig.exe \windows\system32
    move msconfig.chm \windows\system32

    Now you can run msconfig

    On the right tab you can see the startup programs and you can stop
    them from running on startup.

    You can also use Regedit to control what runs on startup but it is a
    very sharp knife and you should always back up what you remove.

    Almost everything that runs on startup runs in the branch

    or

    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

    There is also RunOnce and RunOnceEx in both of these.

    There is also a startup folder in your start menu.

    There are also "services" and these are harder to find.

    For example, I ran services.msc and changed the Lightscribe service
    from automatic to manual because I don't have Lightscribe media and it
    seems silly to have Lightscribe running when I can't use it.

    It seems that every damned thing one installs seems to need a startup
    program. A program that you run once a month needs to install a
    startup hook that makes it load a few seconds faster but, in the
    meantime, is eating up ram, disk space and cycles.

    Programs need to check for updates. Apple's update program from
    Quicktime wants to install Ituner. Ituner needs to install a service
    to run with an Ipod whether or not you have an Ipod.

    Tester, May 8, 2007
  4. Bob

    Bob Guest

    On Tue, 08 May 2007 07:28:45 -0400, Bob <> wrote:

    > Every time I do a cold start with my Presario V5000 something is
    >running that hogs the CPU for 1 ~ 1 1/2 hours. This has been going on
    >for a week now. No, it is not a virus and does not try to access the
    >Internet.
    >
    > How do I check to see what is running ?
    >
    > Bob

    It turns out it was a "process" that was running. I could halt all
    processes from loading at boot and the problem went away. I was in the
    process of eliminating the process's from loading one at a time,
    tedious. I am not certain, but it appears as though the CD player was
    some how involved. Maybe the computer was looking for a lost disc I had
    used some time ago.

    While the problem was happening the "Autoplay" dialog box with the
    wagging flashlight would briefly pop up. If I was extremely quick I
    could click the "Cancel" button on that dialog box and the hard drive
    would quit thrashing. That led me to insert a CD in the drive to see
    what would happen. Nothing. The CD would not play. I gave up for the
    day. This morning I booted the machine and presto, problem gone.

    So for now, my laptop is back to normal. Hopefully it stays that way.
    Or almost back to normal anyway. I still have a persistent keyboard
    problem. The computer skips key strokes occasionally, very annoying. HP
    says it is a keyboard driver conflict with one of the pieces of software
    I have installed. HP said the Quick Launch Buttons software they use is
    the keyboard driver for this notebook and it will not work without Quick
    Launch running.

    Bob

    Bob, May 10, 2007