Sony Laptops

Discussion in 'Laptops' started by Krishna N, May 4, 2004.

  1. Krishna N

    Krishna N Guest

    Hi,

    I am thinking of getting myself a new notebook and have been spending the
    past few days dipping in and out of the various website and stores trying to
    find the best price to performance combination.

    I have been leaning towards a Sony (K13 specifically) lately. On paper it
    does seem to have the right specs for the buck (~$1300). I have also seen a
    few postings in this newsgroup over the course of the last couple of years
    which spoke quite negatively about the reliability of the Sony machines and
    were specifically derogatory about the support and the service. I realize
    that some of these postings were quite a while back and that things do
    change quite rapidly in the electronics world.

    I would appreciate it very much if anybody out there can post some more
    recent experiences with their Sony laptops or had anything to say to a
    prospective buyer like me.

    Thanks in advance,
    Krishna.
    Krishna N, May 4, 2004

  2. Krishna N

    Mouse Guest

    I pretty mucht think that the opinion about Sony has not changed in this
    newsgroup (have been following for quite a while now) ...

    Mouse, May 4, 2004

  3. Krishna N

    hawk Guest

    I think Sony reliability and service is un-even. I have had two Sonys
    and both have been very reliable laptops. And very good features and
    performance for the price. (PCG-F420 and PCG-GRT150) But service has
    been iffy. PCG-F420 had an LCD problem, Sony said send it to a service
    center and if you want to spend the money we will work on it. Pretty
    poor advice. PCG-GRT150 hardware volume control buttons quit working.
    Sony advice to re-install the hot key utility was right on target.

    I bought both of my Sonys at U-Bid. They are factory refurbished with
    full factory warranty equal to a new computer. But the price is much
    less than new.

    Regards, hawk

    hawk, May 4, 2004
  4. This is the silence before the storm....

    I think there are a few questions (!) about their service, but the laptops
    are pretty good.

    Duncan.

    Duncan James Murray, May 5, 2004
  5. Krishna N

    John Doue Guest

    Duncan James Murray wrote:

    > This is the silence before the storm....
    >
    > I think there are a few questions (!) about their service, but the laptops
    > are pretty good.
    >
    > Duncan.
    >

    > "Krishna N" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Hi,
    >>
    >>I am thinking of getting myself a new notebook and have been spending the
    >>past few days dipping in and out of the various website and stores trying

    >>find the best price to performance combination.
    >>
    >>I have been leaning towards a Sony (K13 specifically) lately. On paper it
    >>does seem to have the right specs for the buck (~$1300). I have also seen

    >>few postings in this newsgroup over the course of the last couple of years
    >>which spoke quite negatively about the reliability of the Sony machines

    > and
    >
    >>were specifically derogatory about the support and the service. I realize
    >>that some of these postings were quite a while back and that things do
    >>change quite rapidly in the electronics world.
    >>
    >>I would appreciate it very much if anybody out there can post some more
    >>recent experiences with their Sony laptops or had anything to say to a
    >>prospective buyer like me.
    >>
    >>Thanks in advance,
    >>Krishna.

    For what it is worth, I very recently compared all the laptops displayed
    at a Circuit City store and I have to say, the only one which really had
    a quality display was a Sony. Sorry I did not note the model. I would
    therefore suggest that anybody considering the purchase of a laptop
    should carefully, if possible side by side, the quality of displays.b
    The clarity of the traditional icon and their names was very telling.

    Remember, the specs do not tell the whole story.

    --
    John Doue
    John Doue, May 5, 2004
  6. Krishna N

    Dan Koren Guest

    I have had quite a bit of experience with Sony
    laptops. More than half a dozen have seen use
    in my hands and those of my 3 kids. Here's a
    summary of our experience with VAIOs.

    Sony bundles a lot of 3rd party software with
    their laptops. This is good value if you can
    use it.

    Performance is average or slightly below. Sony
    seem clearly more interested in adding gadgets
    and features rather than pursuing performance.

    Their laptops always ship with absolutely the
    slowest cheapest disk drives (4200rpm 2MB cache
    Toshibas). We've had to replace all of them for
    decent performance.

    Sony's LCD screens are disappointing. They are
    not as bright or detailed as IBM, Panasonic,
    Sharp or Fujitsu. They are about par with
    Dell and Toshiba. Battery life is so-so.

    The smaller models (up to 12") have been quite
    reliable. The larger ones tend to break down
    more often, especially the LCD screens. The
    larger models (GRX, GRT) also overheat quite
    frequently.

    Sony support is OK for obvious to diagnose
    hardware problems that lend themselves to
    fixing by replacing major components, e.g.
    screens or CD-ROM drives. Turnaround on
    warranty service is very slow (6-8 weeks).

    Complex problems, such as not meeting the
    specs, or intermittent failures that may be
    difficult to reproduce consistently, appear
    to be beyond the ability or interest of
    Sony's support technicians.

    Software support is all but non-existent.
    Keep in mind that Sony is primarily a
    consumer electronics manufacturer, not
    a computer company.

    Sony warranties suck. The basic warranty
    is good for one year only, and requires
    registration (otherwise it is in force
    for only 90 days). If you decide to buy
    a Sony, make sure to get an extended
    warranty as well. The bottom line is
    that the VAIO's are not a good value
    for money. Their prices are a little
    higher in the low end to a lot higher
    in the high end than those of similar
    products from other brands. One pays a
    fine for the Sony brand and logo.

    I wouldn't buy another Sony for my own
    needs, and I would not have bought any
    except for the fact that my kids would
    not be seen wearing any other brand.

    My rule of thumb these days is to buy
    only IBM, Fujitsu or Panasonic.

    dk

    Dan Koren, May 5, 2004
  7. John Doue wrote:

    > For what it is worth, I very recently compared all the laptops displayed
    > at a Circuit City store and I have to say, the only one which really had
    > a quality display was a Sony. Sorry I did not note the model. I would
    > therefore suggest that anybody considering the purchase of a laptop
    > should carefully, if possible side by side, the quality of displays.b
    > The clarity of the traditional icon and their names was very telling.

    When you purchase something like a car, do you consider reliability
    and service-after-the-sale?

    Larry
    Lawrence Glasser, May 5, 2004
  8. Duncan James Murray wrote:

    > This is the silence before the storm....
    >
    > I think there are a few questions (!) about their service, but the laptops
    > are pretty good.

    The word is "denial."

    "Yeah, I know their support sucks, but I'll never need it."

    Larry
    Lawrence Glasser, May 5, 2004
  9. Krishna N

    John Doue Guest

    Lawrence Glasser wrote:

    > John Doue wrote:
    >
    >>For what it is worth, I very recently compared all the laptops displayed
    >>at a Circuit City store and I have to say, the only one which really had
    >>a quality display was a Sony. Sorry I did not note the model. I would
    >>therefore suggest that anybody considering the purchase of a laptop
    >>should carefully, if possible side by side, the quality of displays.b
    >>The clarity of the traditional icon and their names was very telling.

    > When you purchase something like a car, do you consider reliability
    > and service-after-the-sale?
    >
    > Larry

    Larry,

    I certainly would. Did I say something that led you to think I would not?

    --
    John Doue
    John Doue, May 5, 2004
  10. John Doue wrote:

    > Lawrence Glasser wrote:
    >
    > > John Doue wrote:
    > >
    > >>For what it is worth, I very recently compared all the laptops displayed
    > >>at a Circuit City store and I have to say, the only one which really had
    > >>a quality display was a Sony. Sorry I did not note the model. I would
    > >>therefore suggest that anybody considering the purchase of a laptop
    > >>should carefully, if possible side by side, the quality of displays.b
    > >>The clarity of the traditional icon and their names was very telling.

    > > When you purchase something like a car, do you consider reliability
    > > and service-after-the-sale?
    > >
    > > Larry

    > Larry,
    >
    > I certainly would. Did I say something that led you to think I would not?

    I guess I took your post as stressing looks over all else. Looking back, I
    can see where you might have been saying "In addition to everything else
    (including service-after-the-sale), the way a display looks is crucial in
    making a decision to by a certain system."

    Yes?

    Larry
    Lawrence Glasser, May 5, 2004
  11. Lawrence Glasser wrote:

    > John Doue wrote:
    > >
    > > Lawrence Glasser wrote:

    > > > When you purchase something like a car, do you consider reliability
    > > > and service-after-the-sale?
    > > >
    > > > Larry

    > > Larry,
    > >
    > > I certainly would. Did I say something that led you to think I would not?

    > I guess I took your post as stressing looks over all else. Looking back, I
    > can see where you might have been saying "In addition to everything else
    > (including service-after-the-sale), the way a display looks is crucial in
    > making a decision to by a certain system."
    >
    > Yes?
    >
    > Larry

    Uuhhh, that was suposed to be "... buy a certain system."

    Larry
    Lawrence Glasser, May 5, 2004
  12. Krishna N

    E Brown Guest

    On Wed, 05 May 2004 07:01:21 GMT, Lawrence Glasser
    <> wrote:

    >The word is "denial."
    >
    >"Yeah, I know their support sucks, but I'll never need it."

    So far, that philosophy has held up for me: I've got 2 4 year old
    Sonys that haven't given me a lick of trouble.
    Emanuel
    E Brown, May 7, 2004
  13. Krishna N

    Jim Guest

    I agree, my older Sony has a much better screen than my new IBM.

    Jim, May 7, 2004
  14. Krishna N

    Al Dykes Guest

    In article <>, hawk <> wrote:
    >I think Sony reliability and service is un-even. I have had two Sonys
    >and both have been very reliable laptops. And very good features and
    >performance for the price. (PCG-F420 and PCG-GRT150) But service has
    >been iffy. PCG-F420 had an LCD problem, Sony said send it to a service
    >center and if you want to spend the money we will work on it. Pretty
    >poor advice. PCG-GRT150 hardware volume control buttons quit working.
    >Sony advice to re-install the hot key utility was right on target.
    >
    >I bought both of my Sonys at U-Bid. They are factory refurbished with
    >full factory warranty equal to a new computer. But the price is much
    >less than new.

    I can't speak to reliability, not a big enough sample size, but my
    experience with Sony suggests that if you use the laptop for important
    stuff (ie your business) avoid sony. They just don't understand prompt
    support and lifetime service.

    They do make slick machines, but so does apple, Dell, IBM, and
    Toshiba.

    --
    Al Dykes
    Al Dykes, May 17, 2004