Sorry, me again - beep warnings and BIOS stall on Deskpro EN

Discussion in 'Compaq' started by poachedeggs@hotmail.co.uk, Nov 9, 2008.

  1. Guest

    I'm hoping this is going to be simple because the machine is otherwise
    working fine with the exception of the floppy drive, but my Deskpro
    SFF 886 mhz seems to have some kind of problem which I'm hoping is not
    related to a dying battery. The first time I switch it on - to recap
    it's (at least nominally) refurbished - some beeps happen and some
    kind of message that says either the system configuration has changed
    or the internal clock is playing up; I can see the clock isn't losing
    time so hopefully that's a good sign. I'm prompted to use F10 and
    save settings, then the machine is fine for ages, till I next turn it
    on. I expected this to happen one more time when I swapped a CD drive
    for a DVD drive. Something tells me the company I bought it from
    isn't going to be very co-operative if I approach them, though I will
    try if I can't sort it out myself.

    I've found and bookmarked a site that explains what the various beep
    codes mean and will check that out tomorrow. The fact that it works
    well after Windows has booted seems hopeful. The last thing I did was
    to load and save the BIOS defaults - hopefully that wasn't an ill-
    judged stab in the dark.

    I didn't get a Windows 2000 CD with this machine so hopefully wiping
    the hard drive it isn't going to be what helps, though I do have a
    Windows 98 CD if the worst comes to the worst.

    The company should have spotted this, it's annoying. If it is the
    battery, can I replace it myself, and what will that cost? I can't
    solder, if that's involved. Would I be right to suppose that the fact
    that once booted up it works well suggests the motherboard and RAM are
    both fine?

    Any advice from the chaps who've responded to my other questions is
    welcome again. Thanks.

    , Nov 9, 2008

  2. Ben Myers Guest

    wrote:
    > I'm hoping this is going to be simple because the machine is otherwise
    > working fine with the exception of the floppy drive, but my Deskpro
    > SFF 886 mhz seems to have some kind of problem which I'm hoping is not
    > related to a dying battery. The first time I switch it on - to recap
    > it's (at least nominally) refurbished - some beeps happen and some
    > kind of message that says either the system configuration has changed
    > or the internal clock is playing up; I can see the clock isn't losing
    > time so hopefully that's a good sign. I'm prompted to use F10 and
    > save settings, then the machine is fine for ages, till I next turn it
    > on. I expected this to happen one more time when I swapped a CD drive
    > for a DVD drive. Something tells me the company I bought it from
    > isn't going to be very co-operative if I approach them, though I will
    > try if I can't sort it out myself.
    >
    > I've found and bookmarked a site that explains what the various beep
    > codes mean and will check that out tomorrow. The fact that it works
    > well after Windows has booted seems hopeful. The last thing I did was
    > to load and save the BIOS defaults - hopefully that wasn't an ill-
    > judged stab in the dark.
    >
    > I didn't get a Windows 2000 CD with this machine so hopefully wiping
    > the hard drive it isn't going to be what helps, though I do have a
    > Windows 98 CD if the worst comes to the worst.
    >
    > The company should have spotted this, it's annoying. If it is the
    > battery, can I replace it myself, and what will that cost? I can't
    > solder, if that's involved. Would I be right to suppose that the fact
    > that once booted up it works well suggests the motherboard and RAM are
    > both fine?
    >
    > Any advice from the chaps who've responded to my other questions is
    > welcome again. Thanks.

    The motherboard and RAM are fine. The CMOS battery on the motherboard
    is dead. It has just enough juice to run the clock. If it's a standard
    C2032 3v lithium battery, replacement does not require soldering.
    Otherwise, you'll need to inspect the motherboard and find the battery.

    .... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Nov 10, 2008

  3. Hi!

    > I'm hoping is not related to a dying battery.

    If it is, that is far from being the end of the world. The Deskpro EN
    family all use CR2032 batteries. You can buy one for "a few quid"
    almost anywhere. You don't need a special computer-approved type of
    battery--any good quality CR2032 from a reputable name in batteries
    will do.

    You might even be able to pluck a good one off of a dead motherboard
    from something else if need be. Try not to touch the battery too much
    when you install it. Skin oils are said to cause erosion of the
    battery casing.

    The battery may not be dead, but I'll bet it's close. Typically,
    though, the clock starts slipping before the BIOS settings are lost.
    The average lifetime of these batteries is about 5 years.

    > I didn't get a Windows 2000 CD with this machine so
    > hopefully wiping the hard drive it isn't going to be
    > what helps, though I do have a Windows 98 CD if the
    > worst comes to the worst.

    I am sure you could buy a secondhand copy of Windows 2000 pretty
    cheaply from a reputable seller.

    > The company should have spotted this, it's annoying.
    > If it is the battery, can I replace it myself, and
    > what will that cost?

    If they really tested the system, yes. Oftentimes, these refurbishers
    are very busy people who only have time to do a "power on test" and
    call the machine good if it boots up--or in some cases, if it does
    anything at all and doesn't produce too much smoke when plugged in.

    The battery is socketed, you can easily remove it.

    William

    William R. Walsh, Nov 10, 2008
  4. Guest

    This is good. Thanks. I suppose my attitude to computers' batteries
    is coloured by having used laptops only for several years, and the
    forbidding manuals' suggestion of returning the machines to fit new
    batteries. Actually, my first laptop's clock was for no evident
    software/viral reason losing time from the day of purchase - a week or
    so after being put in-sync and the time was ten or fifteen minutes out
    - and I'm wondering, as the Deskpro is not losing time since the BIOS
    reset and is showing no other weaknesses, if the refurbishers may have
    at least already replaced it. You'd think they would, for their own
    benefit to avoid trouble with customers.

    Anyway, I know what I'm doing now. Cheers all.

    On Nov 10, 4:29 pm, "William R. Walsh" <> wrote:
    > Hi!
    >
    > > I'm hoping is not related to a dying battery.

    > If it is, that is far from being the end of the world. The Deskpro EN
    > family all use CR2032 batteries. You can buy one for "a few quid"
    > almost anywhere. You don't need a special computer-approved type of
    > battery--any good quality CR2032 from a reputable name in batteries
    > will do.
    >
    > You might even be able to pluck a good one off of a dead motherboard
    > from something else if need be. Try not to touch the battery too much
    > when you install it. Skin oils are said to cause erosion of the
    > battery casing.
    >
    > The battery may not be dead, but I'll bet it's close. Typically,
    > though, the clock starts slipping before the BIOS settings are lost.
    > The average lifetime of these batteries is about 5 years.
    >
    > > I didn't get a Windows 2000 CD with this machine so
    > > hopefully wiping the hard drive it isn't going to be
    > > what helps, though I do have a Windows 98 CD if the
    > > worst comes to the worst.

    > I am sure you could buy a secondhand copy of Windows 2000 pretty
    > cheaply from a reputable seller.
    >
    > > The company should have spotted this, it's annoying.
    > > If it is the battery, can I replace it myself, and
    > > what will that cost?

    > If they really tested the system, yes. Oftentimes, these refurbishers
    > are very busy people who only have time to do a "power on test" and
    > call the machine good if it boots up--or in some cases, if it does
    > anything at all and doesn't produce too much smoke when plugged in.
    >
    > The battery is socketed, you can easily remove it.
    >
    > William

    , Nov 10, 2008
  5. Ben Myers Guest

    wrote:
    > This is good. Thanks. I suppose my attitude to computers' batteries
    > is coloured by having used laptops only for several years, and the
    > forbidding manuals' suggestion of returning the machines to fit new
    > batteries. Actually, my first laptop's clock was for no evident
    > software/viral reason losing time from the day of purchase - a week or
    > so after being put in-sync and the time was ten or fifteen minutes out
    > - and I'm wondering, as the Deskpro is not losing time since the BIOS
    > reset and is showing no other weaknesses, if the refurbishers may have
    > at least already replaced it. You'd think they would, for their own
    > benefit to avoid trouble with customers.
    >
    > Anyway, I know what I'm doing now. Cheers all.
    >
    > On Nov 10, 4:29 pm, "William R. Walsh" <> wrote:
    >> Hi!
    >>
    >>> I'm hoping is not related to a dying battery.

    >> If it is, that is far from being the end of the world. The Deskpro EN
    >> family all use CR2032 batteries. You can buy one for "a few quid"
    >> almost anywhere. You don't need a special computer-approved type of
    >> battery--any good quality CR2032 from a reputable name in batteries
    >> will do.
    >>
    >> You might even be able to pluck a good one off of a dead motherboard
    >> from something else if need be. Try not to touch the battery too much
    >> when you install it. Skin oils are said to cause erosion of the
    >> battery casing.
    >>
    >> The battery may not be dead, but I'll bet it's close. Typically,
    >> though, the clock starts slipping before the BIOS settings are lost.
    >> The average lifetime of these batteries is about 5 years.
    >>
    >>> I didn't get a Windows 2000 CD with this machine so
    >>> hopefully wiping the hard drive it isn't going to be
    >>> what helps, though I do have a Windows 98 CD if the
    >>> worst comes to the worst.

    >> I am sure you could buy a secondhand copy of Windows 2000 pretty
    >> cheaply from a reputable seller.
    >>
    >>> The company should have spotted this, it's annoying.
    >>> If it is the battery, can I replace it myself, and
    >>> what will that cost?

    >> If they really tested the system, yes. Oftentimes, these refurbishers
    >> are very busy people who only have time to do a "power on test" and
    >> call the machine good if it boots up--or in some cases, if it does
    >> anything at all and doesn't produce too much smoke when plugged in.
    >>
    >> The battery is socketed, you can easily remove it.
    >>
    >> William

    The refurbishers probably did NOT replace the C2032 battery, given the
    symptoms you describe. If you remove the power cord from the wall (the
    mains, do you say?), the system will once again complain about CMOS
    settings. As long as there is external power being applied, most
    computers allow for a trickle charge to maintain all the CMOS settings.

    .... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Nov 11, 2008