sorta OT: keyboard for work?

Discussion in 'Dell' started by Nate Nagel, Jun 28, 2011.

  1. Nate Nagel

    Nate Nagel Guest

    So I need a new keyboard for work. Only keyboard I've ever *liked* was
    an IBM Model M. you know the one, the clackety one that drives your
    coworkers nuts. But I can type on it and I don't bash the keys until
    they bottom out because I can feel when I've hit the letter. My hands
    feel so much better at the end of a long day of typing out angry emails
    :) And it works reliably.

    BUT, it drives my coworkers nuts.

    After doing some research online it would appear that what I want is a
    keyboard with Cherry "Brown" mechanical switches. My choices seem to be:

    Filco Ninja Majestouch-2, NKR, Tactile Action, USA Keyboard FKBN104M/EFB2

    XArmor U9BL-S LED backlit mechanical gaming keyboard

    DAS Keyboard S Professional Silent Keyboard - Wired

    opinions/comments? They're all extortionately priced compared to the
    One True Keyboard used on fleaBay (I have two of those,) but using the
    shite that passes for a keyboard that is shipped with most PCs pisses me
    off, and using the One True Keyboard pisses my coworkers off.

    Unfortunately, I don't have any kind of computer sellin' emporium near
    me that sells these kinds of keyboards so I'm at the mercy of Amazon,
    Newegg, et. al. and also opinions on durability would also be appreciated.

    thanks much

    Nate

    --
    replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
    http://members.cox.net/njnagel

    Nate Nagel, Jun 28, 2011

  2. Nate Nagel

    Ben Myers Guest

    On Jun 28, 6:08 pm, Nate Nagel <> wrote:
    > So I need a new keyboard for work.  Only keyboard I've ever *liked* was
    > an IBM Model M.  you know the one, the clackety one that drives your
    > coworkers nuts.  But I can type on it and I don't bash the keys until
    > they bottom out because I can feel when I've hit the letter.  My hands
    > feel so much better at the end of a long day of typing out angry emails
    > :)  And it works reliably.
    >
    > BUT, it drives my coworkers nuts.
    >
    > After doing some research online it would appear that what I want is a
    > keyboard with Cherry "Brown" mechanical switches.  My choices seem to be:
    >
    > Filco Ninja Majestouch-2, NKR, Tactile Action, USA Keyboard FKBN104M/EFB2
    >
    > XArmor U9BL-S LED backlit mechanical gaming keyboard
    >
    > DAS Keyboard S Professional Silent Keyboard - Wired
    >
    > opinions/comments?  They're all extortionately priced compared to the
    > One True Keyboard used on fleaBay (I have two of those,) but using the
    > shite that passes for a keyboard that is shipped with most PCs pisses me
    > off, and using the One True Keyboard pisses my coworkers off.
    >
    > Unfortunately, I don't have any kind of computer sellin' emporium near
    > me that sells these kinds of keyboards so I'm at the mercy of Amazon,
    > Newegg, et. al. and also opinions on durability would also be appreciated..
    >
    > thanks much
    >
    > Nate
    >
    > --
    > replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.http://members.cox.net/njnagel

    You can get a quiet Model M with USB connector from Unicomp, who
    bought up the remains of the IBM keyboard business. Why settle for
    less? Well worth nearly $100, compared to the schlock keyboards sold
    these days.

    My second choice is the fairly compact Dell USB keyboard sold with
    some newer systems. These are dirt cheap and easy to find. I've used
    one for a couple of years because my system's motherboard does not
    like the Model M. I want to switch back, though... Ben Myers

    .... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Jul 1, 2011