    updated so it's simply a case of restoring and voila, I'll have my sound
    back. But it's just bugging the hell out of me as to why no sound comes out
    my speakers when everything seems to be working just fine.

    J, Feb 26, 2005

  2. J

    J Guest

    One other addendum to my initial message. I just tried the analog
    connection rather than the digital connection and now I get sound. Why
    wouldn't the digital connection work after upgrading?

    J, Feb 26, 2005

  3. J

    Lenny Guest

    "J" <> skrev i meddelandet news:AOPTd.70219$g16.36316@trndny08...
    > One other addendum to my initial message. I just tried the analog
    > connection rather than the digital connection and now I get sound. Why
    > wouldn't the digital connection work after upgrading?

    Oh, I don't know, maybe because you "upgraded" to drivers that are two years
    old? Is there nothing more recent at Creative's website?

    You shouldn't start with installing the oldest set you have off a CD by the
    way and then overwriting it with something else. Install the newest set
    first. Each time you overwrite existing files and registry entries there's a
    chance something has changed between versions that will cause conflicts or
    incompatibilities. I'd recommend you uninstall the lot and use Creative's
    driver remover tool as well, then install most recent driver package. Use
    the online auto-update feature if possible.

    Lenny, Feb 26, 2005
  4. J

    J Guest

    I had installed my older drivers originally because of the problems I had
    before with these newer drivers. BTW, there is nothing more recent on
    Creative's site. These are the latest drivers for my card. You'd think
    they'd come out with newer ones, right? Anyway, I may try what you suggest.
    I'll see. I'm just inclined to leave well enough alone at this point.
    Thanks.

    J, Feb 26, 2005
  5. J

    Glennbo Guest

    "J" <> wrote in message news:8r2Ud.39828$s16.27904@trndny02...
    >I had installed my older drivers originally because of the problems I had
    >before with these newer drivers. BTW, there is nothing more recent on
    >Creative's site. These are the latest drivers for my card. You'd think
    >they'd come out with newer ones, right? Anyway, I may try what you
    >suggest. I'll see. I'm just inclined to leave well enough alone at this
    >point. Thanks.
    >
    > "Lenny" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "J" <> skrev i meddelandet news:AOPTd.70219$g16.36316@trndny08...
    >>> One other addendum to my initial message. I just tried the analog
    >>> connection rather than the digital connection and now I get sound. Why
    >>> wouldn't the digital connection work after upgrading?

    >> Oh, I don't know, maybe because you "upgraded" to drivers that are two
    >> years old? Is there nothing more recent at Creative's website?
    >>
    >> You shouldn't start with installing the oldest set you have off a CD by
    >> the way and then overwriting it with something else. Install the newest
    >> set first. Each time you overwrite existing files and registry entries
    >> there's a chance something has changed between versions that will cause
    >> conflicts or incompatibilities. I'd recommend you uninstall the lot and
    >> use Creative's driver remover tool as well, then install most recent
    >> driver package. Use the online auto-update feature if possible.

    Silly question but I have got to ask. Is your amp/speaker setup analogue or
    digital? i.e. do you connect to the green 3.5mm socket or do you use the
    SPDIF connector. If you use the green socket then you will need to uncheck
    the 'digital ouput only' option. If you use the SPDIF, uncheck the digital
    option and plug some ananlogue speakers or headphoes to the green socket and
    listen for any sound output. At least this will prove whether the card is
    working or not.

    Failing that, uninstall the drivers and start again!

    Glennbo

    Glennbo, Feb 26, 2005
  6. J

    J Guest

    It has both connections, digital and analog. When I had the digital plugged
    in, I did have the digital output box checked. The sound card works. It's
    not a hardware problem but rather a software issue. Everything is working
    now that I upgraded except that I'm using the analog connection rather than
    the digital one. Don't know why this is.

    J, Feb 26, 2005
  7. J

    Folk Guest

    On Sat, 26 Feb 2005 09:45:25 GMT, "Lenny" <> wrote:

    >Oh, I don't know, maybe because you "upgraded" to drivers that are two years
    >old? Is there nothing more recent at Creative's website?
    >
    >You shouldn't start with installing the oldest set you have off a CD by the
    >way and then overwriting it with something else. Install the newest set
    >first. Each time you overwrite existing files and registry entries there's a
    >chance something has changed between versions that will cause conflicts or
    >incompatibilities. I'd recommend you uninstall the lot and use Creative's
    >driver remover tool as well, then install most recent driver package. Use
    >the online auto-update feature if possible.

    For an initial install of any recent Creative sound card (SBLive
    included), there's no way to download anything from Creative to do the
    install. You *must* start with the CD. Don't you read these groups?
    There are at least a half-dozen messages a month posted here with
    someone complaining that they can't install their card because they
    broke/lost their CD.

    After installing the drivers from the CD, you should try and get the
    latest driver version, but for the SBLive, the latest very well could
    be the one's from 2003. Once a product is not the flagship, Creative
    rarely updates the drivers.

    Now don't be such as wiseass.

    Folk, Feb 27, 2005
  8. J

    Lenny Guest

    > For an initial install of any recent Creative sound card (SBLive
    > included), there's no way to download anything from Creative to do the
    > install. You *must* start with the CD.

    I *must*? That's a most strange claim, because during all my years of using
    Live soundcards (from its launch back in 97, I believe, up until the Audigy2
    ZS was released), it was always possible to download and run the core
    package that installed the drivers and the control panel applet for speaker
    options, DSP effects and such. I never used the original CD after the first
    few re-installs, in fact I'm not even sure where to find it anymore. I see
    no reason why that would have suddenly changed for no reason.

    > Now don't be such as wiseass.

    Who's being a wiseass?

    Lenny, Feb 27, 2005
  9. J