    Cheers!
    Andy

    , Aug 22, 2005

  2. Guest

    On 22 Aug 2005 01:20:40 -0700, wrote:

    >I have a sound card with a single Line-In jack, which is currently
    >connected to my TV card. I'd like to connect up a shortwave radio I
    >have so I can play it through my computer speakers, and possibly record
    >programs. The only output jack on the radio is for headphones, so I
    >guess what I'd like is the following:
    >1. A headphones-out to Line-In-in converter
    >2. A Line-In splitter, 2 female to 1 male, to let me plug both the
    >radio and TV card into the single Line-In slot.
    >Now, I'm guessing both things exist, but I'm not exactly sure what the
    >precise name is of what I'm looking for. Am I right in thinking that
    >cables fitting in to a Line-In socket are 3.5mm? Or would it even be
    >possible to use the microphone jack on my soundcard? (Note: the radio
    >is mono.)
    >
    >(Pointers to a good website answering these questions would be
    >welcome.)

    You can get cheap plugs to go to Line-in, by going to a dollar store
    and getting a cheap walkman head set.

    You have to be careful about "stereo vs. mono", a cheap earbud will
    probably be mono. Then solder or "twist and tape" the wires together.

    You have to watch out for overdriving your soundcard's input. The
    headphones-out of most equipment is probably a stronger signal, than
    your Line-in can handle. So turn the radio volume to 0, then slowly
    bring it up to where the sound is good.

    The best option for this, is to go to ebay, and get a cheap audio mixer.
    I got a real nice one for $20. They usually come with a patchcord set
    and adaptors. Then you feed all your inputs to the mixer, and connect
    the mixer ouput to your soundcard Line-in. The Mixer's Line-out will be
    a true compatible Line level signal for your soundcard's Line-in.
    Then you use the slider controls on the mixer to control how much,
    or which signal, to feed thru to the soundcard.
    It will be best in the long run, and less likely to blow out your
    soundcard.

    http://zentara.net/japh.html

    , Aug 23, 2005

  3. Rich Wilson Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > Hi guys,
    > Running the latest Gentoo, all pacakges updated nightly.
    >
    > I have a sound card with a single Line-In jack, which is currently
    > connected to my TV card. I'd like to connect up a shortwave radio I
    > have so I can play it through my computer speakers, and possibly record
    > programs. The only output jack on the radio is for headphones, so I
    > guess what I'd like is the following:
    > 1. A headphones-out to Line-In-in converter

    Just get a cable with the appropriate plugs. You normally have to turn the
    headphone output up fairly high to get it to line level (but be careful, of
    course).

    > 2. A Line-In splitter, 2 female to 1 male, to let me plug both the
    > radio and TV card into the single Line-In slot.

    You need a switch for this (don't just use a splitter, it very probably
    won't work and won't be good for your equipment). You can get a variety of
    siwtches at Maplin if you're in the UK, and they're pretty cheap. You'll
    probably find they all need twin phono plug inputs so you'll have to get
    some 3.5mm to twin phono cables.

    > Now, I'm guessing both things exist, but I'm not exactly sure what the
    > precise name is of what I'm looking for. Am I right in thinking that
    > cables fitting in to a Line-In socket are 3.5mm? Or would it even be
    > possible to use the microphone jack on my soundcard? (Note: the radio
    > is mono.)

    No! The microphone jack requires a much lower level of signal than the line
    in jack.

    Good luck!

    Rich Wilson, Sep 4, 2005