Sound Not Working - Need Driver or What?

Discussion in 'Soundcards' started by Nehmo Sergheyev, Jan 31, 2004.

  1. I have Windows XP Home (SP1)

    Because I ruined my old mo'bo by spilling a cup of tea on it, I now have
    a new old 533 MHz board installed using the old HD. (This is temporary
    so don't criticize me for having such a slow machine. :) ) But I can't
    get the sound to work right. It's very faint.[1]

    All the regular stuff tests out okay, nothing is muted, and the devices
    test as working. So I'm thinking since Windows XP wasn't around when
    this board was made, maybe I need the new audio driver. A friend gave me
    a CD with some drivers on it, one of which is SoundMax2. But when I try
    to install, the setup stops and produces an error window:

    An error occurred during the move data process: -113
    Component: System files
    File Group: System files
    File : E\sound\2ndGenDrv\S11th32dll

    How do I determine if I need a new driver? And how do I find it? Or if
    this file is all I need, how do I find that?

    Using AIDA32 Personal http://www.aida32.hu/aida32.php , I got this info
    about the mo'bo, which contains the sound components:

    Motherboard Properties
    Motherboard Name Biostar M6TWG

    Chipset Properties
    Motherboard Chipset Intel Whitney i810
    In-Order Queue Depth 4
    CAS Latency 3T
    RAS To CAS Delay 3T
    RAS Precharge 3T
    RAS Active Time 6T

    Integrated Graphics Controller
    Graphics Controller Type Intel i752
    Graphics Controller Status Enabled
    Shared Memory Size 1 MB

    AC'97 Audio Controller
    Audio Controller Type Intel 82801AA ICH
    Codec Name Cirrus Logic CS4299
    Codec ID 43525934h

    Chipset Manufacturer
    Company Name Intel Corporation
    Product Information http://www.intel.com/products/browse/chipsets.htm
    Driver Download http://support.intel.com/support/chipsets/index.htm

    AC'97 Audio Controller
    Audio Controller Type Intel 82801AA ICH

    [1] Actually, there might be a problem with the connection jack. I have
    to wiggle it to get both right and left channels to play. But in any
    case, the sound is _very_ faint. To hear, you have to hold the speaker
    right up to your ear at full volume.

    Naturally, my goal is to get the sound to work. Does anybody have any
    suggestions?

    *********************
    * Nehmo Sergheyev *
    *********************
    Nehmo Sergheyev, Jan 31, 2004

  2. Nehmo Sergheyev

    philo Guest

    "Nehmo Sergheyev" <> wrote in message
    > I have Windows XP Home (SP1)
    >
    > Because I ruined my old mo'bo by spilling a cup of tea on it, I now have
    > a new old 533 MHz board installed using the old HD. (This is temporary
    > so don't criticize me for having such a slow machine. :) ) But I can't
    > get the sound to work right. It's very faint.[1]

    are you using amplified speakers?
    philo, Jan 31, 2004

  3. philo wrote:
    > "Nehmo Sergheyev" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>I have Windows XP Home (SP1)
    >>
    >>Because I ruined my old mo'bo by spilling a cup of tea on it, I now have
    >>a new old 533 MHz board installed using the old HD. (This is temporary
    >>so don't criticize me for having such a slow machine. :) ) But I can't
    >>get the sound to work right. It's very faint.[1]

    > are you using amplified speakers?

    He might have the speakers plugged into the wrong jack.

    Sooky Grumper, Jan 31, 2004
  4. - Nehmo -
    > >>I have Windows XP Home (SP1)
    > >>
    > >>Because I ruined my old mo'bo by spilling a cup of tea on it, I now

    have
    > >>a new old 533 MHz board installed using the old HD. (This is

    temporary
    > >>so don't criticize me for having such a slow machine. :) ) But I

    can't
    > >>get the sound to work right. It's very faint.[1]

    - philo -
    > > are you using amplified speakers?

    - Sooky Grumper -
    > He might have the speakers plugged into the wrong jack.

    - Nehmo -
    I'm using the green top jack. I don't get anything at all out of the
    jack below that, and the remaining jack is clearly for the mic.

    I'm not using amplifide speakers, and the speakers previously with the
    old board worked fine. Also, I get the same result with earphones - very
    faint sound..

    What's my next step?

    --
    *********************
    * Nehmo Sergheyev *
    Nehmo Sergheyev, Jan 31, 2004
  5. Nehmo Sergheyev

    philo Guest

    > I'm not using amplifide speakers, and the speakers previously with the
    > old board worked fine. Also, I get the same result with earphones - very
    > faint sound..
    >
    > What's my next step?

    You need to get speakers with a built in amplifier...(they can be had

    for very little money) Your old sound card evidently had built-in
    amplification

    which is not terribly common any more.
    philo, Feb 1, 2004
  6. Nehmo Sergheyev wrote:
    > - Nehmo -

    > have

    > temporary

    > can't

    > - philo -
    >
    >>>are you using amplified speakers?

    > - Sooky Grumper -
    >
    >>He might have the speakers plugged into the wrong jack.

    > - Nehmo -
    > I'm using the green top jack. I don't get anything at all out of the
    > jack below that, and the remaining jack is clearly for the mic.
    >
    > I'm not using amplifide speakers, and the speakers previously with the
    > old board worked fine. Also, I get the same result with earphones - very
    > faint sound..
    >
    > What's my next step?

    Go to the windows xp volume control applet and make sure the "volume
    control" slider (the first one on the left) is turned up all the way.

    Sooky Grumper, Feb 1, 2004
  7. - Nehmo -
    > > What's my next step?

    - philo -
    > You need to get speakers with a built in amplifier...(they can be had
    > for very little money) Your old sound card evidently had built-in
    > amplification
    > which is not terribly common any more.

    - Nehmo -
    Interesting. I didn't know that. So modern computers have the sound
    amplification off the mo'bo. Why'd they do that?

    This mo'bo isn't very modern, BTW.

    --
    *********************
    * Nehmo Sergheyev *
    Nehmo Sergheyev, Feb 1, 2004
  8. - Sooky Grumper -
    > Go to the windows xp volume control applet and make sure the "volume
    > control" slider (the first one on the left) is turned up all the way.

    - Nehmo -
    That's the first thing I tried. Double click on the speaker icon in the
    system tray > window titled Master Volume > everything all the way up
    and no mute box checked.

    --
    *********************
    * Nehmo Sergheyev *
    Nehmo Sergheyev, Feb 1, 2004
  9. Nehmo Sergheyev

    Alan Guest

    > - Sooky Grumper -
    > > Go to the windows xp volume control applet and make sure the "volume
    > > control" slider (the first one on the left) is turned up all the way.

    > - Nehmo -
    > That's the first thing I tried. Double click on the speaker icon in the
    > system tray > window titled Master Volume > everything all the way up
    > and no mute box checked.

    you evidently need to use amplified speakers

    alan
    Alan, Feb 1, 2004
  10. Nehmo Sergheyev

    sesz Guest

    philo wrote:
    >>I'm not using amplifide speakers, and the speakers previously with the
    >>old board worked fine. Also, I get the same result with earphones - very
    >>faint sound..
    >>
    >>What's my next step?
    >>

    > You need to get speakers with a built in amplifier...(they can be had
    >
    > for very little money) Your old sound card evidently had built-in
    > amplification
    >
    > which is not terribly common any more.

    Shouldn't he at least get adequate sound with headphones though?
    sesz, Feb 1, 2004
  11. Nehmo Sergheyev

    Paul L Guest

    the 4-8 ohm load from the speakers could've cooked the output

    double click the volume icon, maybe wave ouput is low?

    Paul L, Feb 1, 2004
  12. - Paul L -
    > the 4-8 ohm load from the speakers could've cooked the output
    >
    > double click the volume icon, maybe wave ouput is low?

    - Nehmo -
    I tried that already. Everything is up, and nothing is muted.
    So how do I tell if this mo'bo normally takes an add-on amplifier? My
    searches don't seem to turn up right info; maybe I'm not searching with
    the right terms.

    --
    *********************
    * Nehmo Sergheyev *
    Nehmo Sergheyev, Feb 1, 2004
  13. Nehmo Sergheyev

    Muttley Guest

    Get the correct drivers for your board from here:

    http://www.biostar.com.tw/support/driver/model.php3?name=M6TWG

    Also, YOU WILL NEED AMPLIFIED SPEAKERS.

    You can also download a manual for the board from that URL as well.

    John S.

    Muttley, Feb 1, 2004
  14. - Nehmo -
    > > That's the first thing I tried. Double click on the speaker icon in

    the
    > > system tray > window titled Master Volume > everything all the way

    up
    > > and no mute box checked.

    - Alan -
    > you evidently need to use amplified speakers

    - Nehmo -
    I suppose that would work, but I don't have any handy right now. I'm
    wondering if this behavior is normal for this m'board (I'm trying that
    abbreviation now).

    I found this stuff on it. Biostar M6TWG. There's nothing about an
    off-board amplifier, but maybe that's understood.
    http://www.asipartner.com/asisku/8714.htm
    I'm going to try to email Biostar to see what they have to say.
    --
    *********************
    * Nehmo Sergheyev *
    Nehmo Sergheyev, Feb 1, 2004
  15. Nehmo Sergheyev

    JT Guest

    On Sat, 31 Jan 2004 20:04:10 -0600, "Nehmo Sergheyev" <>
    wrote:

    >- Paul L -
    >> the 4-8 ohm load from the speakers could've cooked the output
    >>
    >> double click the volume icon, maybe wave ouput is low?

    >- Nehmo -
    >I tried that already. Everything is up, and nothing is muted.
    >So how do I tell if this mo'bo normally takes an add-on amplifier? My
    >searches don't seem to turn up right info; maybe I'm not searching with
    >the right terms.

    Have never seen a motherboard with integrated audio that had a built in
    amplifier. AC97 is relatively recent. Have never seen a motherboard with a
    low end, AC97 audio like the I810 chipset with an onboard amplifier. Odds
    are 99.99999% that you will need amplified speakers. That has been standard
    for the last few years.

    JT
    JT, Feb 1, 2004
  16. Nehmo Sergheyev

    RegularJoe Guest

    Borrow some speakers from a friend to see if that fixes your problem
    before you buy new speakers.

    Joe
    RegularJoe, Feb 1, 2004
  17. Nehmo Sergheyev

    GEO Guest

    GEO , Feb 1, 2004
  18. Nehmo Sergheyev

    kony Guest

    On Sat, 31 Jan 2004 21:02:42 -0600, "Nehmo Sergheyev"
    <> wrote:

    >I suppose that would work, but I don't have any handy right now. I'm
    >wondering if this behavior is normal for this m'board (I'm trying that
    >abbreviation now).
    >
    >I found this stuff on it. Biostar M6TWG. There's nothing about an
    >off-board amplifier, but maybe that's understood.
    >http://www.asipartner.com/asisku/8714.htm
    >I'm going to try to email Biostar to see what they have to say.

    Let's clarify this situation...

    It is abnormal/atypical/etc, for a motherboard to NOT need the
    amplifier. Any motherboard you buy, and "almost" all from the past,
    needed an amplifier, because the audio output is only a pre-amp
    signal. You would not see anything in the manual about needing the
    amp, because it is implied, you ALWAYS need the amp, for most
    motherboards, unless it's explicitly stated otherwise.

    However, there's more to your situation than just this, because that
    line-level signal should easily power a set of headphones. Of course
    I mean "normal" headphones like around 32 ohm, not something very old
    and exceptionally low impedance.

    Try going to Biostar's website, they likely have at least a Windows 2K
    driver, try the newest version of that. Physically look at the
    motherboard, note the audio chip, write down the text on it. I doubt
    it's an Aureal chipset, especially based on ADIA's report, though
    Biostar offers that for download too. With more information you can
    use the process of elimination.

    You might do a Google search for the Soundmax AD1881 and/or Cirrus
    Logic CS4299, sound driver. If this is an OEM motherboard, you might
    also try that OEM. The likes of HP, Compaq, and eMachines, are
    potential OEMs that might've used such a board.. though other OEMs
    might've as well, those 3 did more low-end, small boxes that had i810
    chipset boards in them at one time or another.

    If the driver you're using is "somewhat" wrong, you might find that
    the audio ports are mislabeled, that one or more of the windows mixer
    options applies to a different function, so you might want to make
    sure you've unmuted and raised volume on ALL features (might be a good
    idea to unplug a microphone if you have one plugged in, before doing
    that, it could have a LOT of feedback as a result).

    Don't use the non-amplified speakers anymore, ever, on any motherboard
    not expressly promoted as having an onboard amp suitable for driving
    non-amplified speakers... it's quite possible to damage a motherboard
    doing what you've done, though at this point I can't guess whether
    you've damaged it or not. The correct driver should've allowed sound
    at least for very short time, before overloading components on the
    board's sound circuitry... if there was never sound of any reasonable
    volume, ALWAYS very quiet during your testing, it's not so likely you
    damaged it, since it wasn't (trying to) outputting much power.
    kony, Feb 1, 2004
  19. - Muttley or John S. -
    > Get the correct drivers for your board from here:
    > http://www.biostar.com.tw/support/driver/model.php3?name=M6TWG
    > Also, YOU WILL NEED AMPLIFIED SPEAKERS.
    >
    > You can also download a manual for the board from that URL as well.

    - Nehmo -
    Thank you for pointing me in the right direction. Choosing XP on the
    dropdown gets this page:
    http://www.biostar.com.tw/support/driver/model.php3?name=M6TWG&os=XP
    And on this is the self-extracting-zip pdf manual for Biostar M6TWG:
    http://www.biostar.com.tw/products/mainboard/socket_370/m6twg/m_m6twg.exe
    Apparently Biostar recommends installing only one driver update, the INF
    Patch Utility
    Version 5.00.1012. I already downloaded it.

    But where does the manual or elsewhere does it say the board needs an
    off-board amplifier? Why do you, with such assurance, say it needs an
    amp ?
    In one pic JSPKR1, the back speaker jack, is marked "Front (? I think)
    Speaker Out".
    I copied the pic here:
    http://home.kc.rr.com/plumb/bioback.htm
    It looks like you're supposed to plug in a plain old set of speakers.

    Nonetheless, I'm sure a stereo amp would solve the problem.

    --
    *********************
    * Nehmo Sergheyev *
    Nehmo Sergheyev, Feb 1, 2004
  20. - kony -
    > It is abnormal/atypical/etc, for a motherboard to NOT need the
    > amplifier. Any motherboard you buy, and "almost" all from the past,
    > needed an amplifier, because the audio output is only a pre-amp
    > signal. You would not see anything in the manual about needing the
    > amp, because it is implied, you ALWAYS need the amp, for most
    > motherboards, unless it's explicitly stated otherwise.

    - Nehmo -
    I didn't know that. I've only had experience with a couple of boards
    (that didn't have separate sound cards), and both used regular
    non-amplified speakers.

    - kony -
    > However, there's more to your situation than just this, because that
    > line-level signal should easily power a set of headphones. Of course
    > I mean "normal" headphones like around 32 ohm, not something very old
    > and exceptionally low impedance.

    - Nehmo -
    Labtec C-324 Stereo Headset/Boom Microphone, 32 ohm

    - kony -
    > Try going to Biostar's website, they likely have at least a Windows 2K
    > driver, try the newest version of that. Physically look at the
    > motherboard, note the audio chip, write down the text on it. I doubt
    > it's an Aureal chipset, especially based on ADIA's report, though
    > Biostar offers that for download too. With more information you can
    > use the process of elimination.
    >
    > You might do a Google search for the Soundmax AD1881 and/or Cirrus
    > Logic CS4299, sound driver. If this is an OEM motherboard, you might
    > also try that OEM. The likes of HP, Compaq, and eMachines, are
    > potential OEMs that might've used such a board.. though other OEMs
    > might've as well, those 3 did more low-end, small boxes that had i810
    > chipset boards in them at one time or another.
    >
    > If the driver you're using is "somewhat" wrong, you might find that
    > the audio ports are mislabeled, that one or more of the windows mixer
    > options applies to a different function, so you might want to make
    > sure you've unmuted and raised volume on ALL features (might be a good
    > idea to unplug a microphone if you have one plugged in, before doing
    > that, it could have a LOT of feedback as a result).
    >
    > Don't use the non-amplified speakers anymore, ever, on any motherboard
    > not expressly promoted as having an onboard amp suitable for driving
    > non-amplified speakers... it's quite possible to damage a motherboard
    > doing what you've done, though at this point I can't guess whether
    > you've damaged it or not. The correct driver should've allowed sound
    > at least for very short time, before overloading components on the
    > board's sound circuitry... if there was never sound of any reasonable
    > volume, ALWAYS very quiet during your testing, it's not so likely you
    > damaged it, since it wasn't (trying to) outputting much power.

    - Nehmo -
    Okay, I'll get on it tomorrow. And I'll find a little amp somewhere.
    Thanks.

    --
    * Nehmo Sergheyev *
    Nehmo Sergheyev, Feb 1, 2004