    that one grouch! (Go home and kiss your wife, and make up, then come
    back online!)

    MICHAEL P
    mihalaki, Jan 16, 2011

  2. mihalaki

    Pen Guest

    On 1/15/2011 8:27 PM, mihalaki wrote:
    > I have been using a very nice sound system, inexpensive, but good for
    > my needs.
    >
    > All of a sudden, dead! No sound at all. An error message stated that
    > I have no sound system.
    >
    > All cables, and plugs (including Power Converter Box) are accounted
    > for, and fit tightly in their respective and proper ports.
    >
    > I can buy another such sound system for $20., but how can I be sure
    > that it is, in fact, my hardware system and not the motherboard sound
    > system. ,(No PCI card sound system on Dell 2400) . Also, can I
    > install an inexpensive PCI Sound Card?
    >
    > Thanks much to all,, as always, helpful and courteous, except for
    > that one grouch! (Go home and kiss your wife, and make up, then come
    > back online!)
    >
    > MICHAEL P

    just put a set of headphones into the computer audio out.
    However, it most likely is the onboard since the only way
    windows knows about it is the onboard stuff.
    Pen, Jan 16, 2011

  3. mihalaki

    Bob Villa Guest

    On Jan 15, 7:27 pm, mihalaki <> wrote:
    > I have been using a very nice sound system, inexpensive, but good for
    > my needs.
    >
    > All of a sudden, dead! No sound at all.  An error message stated that
    > I have no sound system.
    >
    >  All cables, and  plugs (including Power Converter  Box) are accounted
    > for, and fit tightly in their respective  and proper ports.
    >
    > I can buy another such sound system for $20., but how can I be sure
    > that it is, in fact, my hardware system and not the motherboard sound
    > system.     ,(No PCI card sound system on Dell 2400) . Also, can I
    > install an inexpensive PCI Sound Card?
    >
    > Thanks much to all,, as always,  helpful and courteous, except for
    > that one grouch!   (Go home and kiss your wife, and make up, then come
    > back online!)
    >
    > MICHAEL P

    They do have USB dongle sound adapters.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812186046
    Bob Villa, Jan 16, 2011
  4. mihalaki

    Mike S. Guest

    In article <>,
    mihalaki <> wrote:
    >I have been using a very nice sound system, inexpensive, but good for
    >my needs.
    >
    >All of a sudden, dead! No sound at all. An error message stated that
    >I have no sound system.
    >
    > All cables, and plugs (including Power Converter Box) are accounted
    >for, and fit tightly in their respective and proper ports.
    >
    >I can buy another such sound system for $20., but how can I be sure
    >that it is, in fact, my hardware system and not the motherboard sound
    >system. ,(No PCI card sound system on Dell 2400) . Also, can I
    >install an inexpensive PCI Sound Card?
    >
    >Thanks much to all,, as always, helpful and courteous, except for
    >that one grouch! (Go home and kiss your wife, and make up, then come
    >back online!)
    >
    >MICHAEL P

    I have seen the registry settings getting scrambled in these machines
    leading to the inability to use the hardware. The solution that worked for
    me is to go to Device Manager and delete the device; then reboot. PnP will
    redetect it and reinstall the drivers properly.
    Mike S., Jan 19, 2011