    MG
    www.stranigiorni.com
    , May 10, 2005

  2. Rich Wilson Guest

    <> wrote in message
    news:...

    > hi all, i'd like to know: is a SPDIF out always a LINE out (not
    > amplified?)
    > i've plugged my pc to amplificator thru this SPDIF out but i can still
    > manage the signal volume from winXP... does this mean the signal is not
    > LINE?
    > thank you

    I'm afraid your question is meaningless. "Line level" only applies to
    analogue signals, which could theoretically be amplified up to any "volume"
    you like. Digital signals, on the other hand, effectively have a fixed
    "volume". They're typically represented by numbers on a scale of
    (approximately) -32000 to +32000 and these limits can't be exceeded. Sources
    such as CDs use the full range to achieve good quality.

    What the Windows volume control lets you do is REDUCE any or all of the
    outputs, which is occasionally useful if you're listening to more than one
    source at once and you want to control the balance. The "master volume"
    control is not really relevant when using an SPDIF connection to an
    amplifier, so is normally best left on maximum.

    Rich
    Rich Wilson, Aug 16, 2005