SoundMAX4 XL on Intel motherboards -- any good?

Discussion in 'Intel' started by Milhouse Van Houten, Apr 4, 2004.

  1. I ask, because I've noticed that since moving to a new system built around
    an 865GBF, my Altec Lansing ACS45.1 three-piece speakers emit a noticeable
    hiss that they did not (at least to this extent) on my previous system,
    which utilized an old SoundBlaster PCI card.

    Is there something that can be done, perhaps relative to SoundMAX?

    Thanks

    1. Advertising

  2. Certifiable

    Certifiable Guest

    Did you install the SoundMax drivers?

    Milhouse Van Houten wrote:
    > I ask, because I've noticed that since moving to a new system built around
    > an 865GBF, my Altec Lansing ACS45.1 three-piece speakers emit a noticeable
    > hiss that they did not (at least to this extent) on my previous system,
    > which utilized an old SoundBlaster PCI card.
    >
    > Is there something that can be done, perhaps relative to SoundMAX?
    >
    > Thanks

    1. Advertising

  3. "Certifiable" <> wrote in message
    > Did you install the SoundMax drivers?

    Yes

  4. Certifiable

    Certifiable Guest

    Milhouse Van Houten wrote:
    > "Certifiable" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Did you install the SoundMax drivers?

    > Yes

    Can only offer following:
    which you've probably tried.
    1:Is there something in the vicinity (or within the machine)
    that could be causing interference.
    2: Disconnect and reconnect everything connected with the sound.
    3: Try another set of speakers.
    FWIW: I have a set of Boston BA735 speakers (including woofer)
    from a 1999 Gateway and they work just fine.
    Good luck

  5. "Certifiable" <> wrote in message
    > Can only offer following:
    > which you've probably tried.
    > 1:Is there something in the vicinity (or within the machine)
    > that could be causing interference.
    > 2: Disconnect and reconnect everything connected with the sound.
    > 3: Try another set of speakers.
    > FWIW: I have a set of Boston BA735 speakers (including woofer)
    > from a 1999 Gateway and they work just fine.
    > Good luck

    When I upgraded from my old PC to my new one, I kept the speakers. They're
    in the exact same spot they were, and the only thing that's changed is the
    PC box itself, which is what led me to conclude that it related to what the
    speakers are being plugged into, namely the sound jack on the motherboard. I
    may just have to migrate to another pair of speakers, as you suggest, since
    these don't seem to be the best match with the sound on the Intel. I've
    tried playing around with the sound levels and the many, many adjustments in
    SoundMax, but haven't hit upon anything helpful there.

  6. Guess Who

    Guess Who Guest

    If there is a line in, try muting it. Even on my SB Audigy 2 ZS card, I have
    to mute the line in when I'm not using it as it creates a lot of annoying
    noise.