Soyo K7VME barebones will not POST

Discussion in 'Soyo' started by Barton Brown, Oct 4, 2004.

  1. Barton Brown

    Barton Brown Guest

    I just fired up my first homebuilt PC (from a Soyo barebones kit): the
    pretty lights came on, the CPU fan spun up, and then, after no more than
    five seconds, it simply shut down. It will only restart after I clear
    CMOS (with or without turning off PSU power switch and disconnecting
    power cord), whereupon it performs the same 5-second light and fan show,
    then shuts down again.

    I have checked the CPU heatsink/fan interface and connections, all
    jumpers, all connectors (including power and ATX12V), all pins, possible
    mobo shorts to the case and mobo mounting base... I don't know where to
    go from here.

    The system:

    Soyo K7VME/Athlon 2800XP+ (Barton)/Thermaltake TR2 M2, in Soyo's
    notorious power-supply-right-on-top-of-cpu-fan case
    Ultra PC2700 DDR 333MHz 512MB x 2
    Chaintech GeForce FX 5700 / 256MB DDR / AGP 8X
    Western Digital Caviar 200GB HD (Default/Cable Select on IDE1) -- is
    THIS correct? The HD is the only device on IDE1, connected to the last
    connector on the ribbon.
    52X generic CD-ROM drive (Master on IDE2)
    Megastor (NEC) Dual Layer DVD Burner combo drive (Slave on IDE2)
    Mitsumi FDD/multi-media reader

    CPU FSB Jumper (JP3) set to 166MHz (for 333MHz FSB) -- is THIS correct?

    And yes, I bought Microsoft Windows XP Home Full Version -- obviously
    not yet installed...

    I'd appreciate ANY help!

    Bart Brown
    Barton Brown, Oct 4, 2004

  2. Barton Brown

    Jim B. Guest

    Barton Brown <> wrote in message news:<2oh8d.3881$>...

    Sound like Fan Off Control, (FOC for short) The motherboard has a
    speed sensor for your cpu fan. If the fan isn't turning the rpm the
    sensor requires it shuts the system off to prevent damage.

    There are two fixes, one buy a different cpu fan that has a higher
    rpm, two go into the BIOS and set FOC to disabled.

    If you got a fan with the cpu from AMD plug it into the motherboard
    cpu fan connector and plug your current cpu fan into one of the
    motherboard case fan connectors(to keep it running) so you can keep
    the system running to get into the motherboard BIOS to change FOC to
    disabled.

    If I remember correctly SOYO came out with a BIOS update that also
    lowers the required cpu fan speed the sensor detects before shutdown
    kicks in.

    Jim B., Oct 5, 2004

  3. Barton Brown

    Barton Brown Guest

    Jim B. wrote:

    > Sound like Fan Off Control, (FOC for short) The motherboard has a
    > speed sensor for your cpu fan. If the fan isn't turning the rpm the
    > sensor requires it shuts the system off to prevent damage.

    Thermaltake TR2 M2 (3-speed adjustable) is set to highest speed (even
    the lowest speed is above Soyo's speed sensor threshold); it spins up
    immediately.

    > If I remember correctly SOYO came out with a BIOS update that also
    > lowers the required cpu fan speed the sensor detects before shutdown
    > kicks in.

    If I can ever make it to the BIOS screen, I'll check that out.

    Thanks!

    Bart
    Barton Brown, Oct 6, 2004
  4. Barton Brown

    Jim B. Guest

    Barton Brown <> wrote in message news:<>...

    This isn't related to your problem, but one change you should make.
    Change the DVD burner to the master on IDE2 and set the CD-Rom to
    slave. The burner should always be a master unless its connected to
    the same IDE channel as the hard drive with the operating system on it
    (Boot Drive), only then should it be set as a slave.

    Jim B., Oct 6, 2004
  5. Did you remove all non-essential items such as the hard drive, cd drive etc
    and then try it? Just the cpu, fan, and ram on the MB with the MB OUT of
    the case sitting on an insulated surface!
    Oh and shouldn't you be trying to boot up the MB with the onboard video?
    And the "CPU temperature monitoring through flexible thermal sensor" is
    correctly mounted?
    And your power supply is powerful to run your system???

    I had issues with a Kingston module that would allow my system to boot but
    then errors would occur. A new module solved my problem.

    good luck,
    dave

    dave AKA vwdoc1, Oct 7, 2004
  6. Barton Brown

    Barton Brown Guest

    Jim B. wrote:
    > ...one change you should make.
    > Change the DVD burner to the master on IDE2 and set the CD-Rom to
    > slave. The burner should always be a master unless its connected to
    > the same IDE channel as the hard drive with the operating system on it
    > (Boot Drive), only then should it be set as a slave.

    Thanks -- I'll try that, too.

    Bart
    Barton Brown, Oct 7, 2004