    Please respond to the group, my email account is buried in spam.

    TIA

    Bill Smith

    Bill Smith, Mar 13, 2005

  2. Bill Smith

    Soyo Man Guest

    Bill Smith wrote:

    > I have an application for this board in a PC running a CNC milling
    > machine (I need at least one ISA slot). Can anyone give me some
    > idea as to the reliability of it. Ease of set up is important.

    We've bought about 40 of these boards in the past 2 years for the same
    reason (need 1 ISA slot). We install identical hardware in it each
    time (80 gb drive, Intel P-4 (celeron) 2.6 Ghz cpu, Nvidia video card,
    LG CD/RW, 256 or 512 mb ram, etc). Systems that are shipped have XP
    pro. A number of these boards are used for general office computers
    running Win-98 or 2K.

    We've had good luck with them.

    What I/O addresses and/or DMA, IRQ addresses does your ISA board use?
    Ours just uses I/O ports and there was one conflict with a smart-card
    interface on the Soyo so we moved our address so it wouldn't conflict.

    One thing to look out for: Seems that the availability of CPU's for
    this board is kinda wierd. You're going to be looking for a
    non-Prescott P-4 and from what I can tell they're not as available now
    as they were a few months ago.

    I think that by non-Prescott, they mean "Northwood". I've heard
    conflicting info that a Socket 478 Prescott will work on a motherboard
    designed for a Socket-478 Northwood, but I haven't tried that on this
    Soyo.

    Make sure the vendor you get the Soyo from will also supply you with a
    compatible CPU you've got in mind.

    > I plan so set up a dual boot system, with Win 98 in the other
    > partition for file management and wireless communication with
    > my office PC.

    No need to set up a dual-boot (DOS/Win-98). If the DOS software
    doesn't run in a command-prompt DOS window under 98, then you can
    simply set up a boot menu in your config.sys and when the computer
    starts, it will give you a choice as to which section of the menu it
    will follow. One choice can be DOS, the other Win-98. For the DOS,
    the last statement in your autoexec.bat is simply "command.com" which
    will just leave you at the DOS prompt. I've done this lots of times
    on a Win-98 system that I wanted the choice to boot into 98 or into
    DOS only.

    Here's a sample of the config.sys you can use. It assumes your
    windows is installed in "c:\win98". Some items are rem'd out (they
    pertain to CD-rom support). Activate them if you want to access a
    CD-rom drive while running under pure DOS.

    -------------------------------
    (contents of config.sys file)
    [menu]
    menuitem=dos,DOS
    menuitem=win98,Windows 98

    MENUDEFAULT=win98,30 'this sets the default boot method, and
    'the number of seconds that you have to
    'select another option before this one
    'will start automatically

    [dos]
    DEVICE=C:\WIN98\HIMEM.SYS /verbose
    DEVICE=C:\WIN98\EMM386.EXE NOEMS VERBOSE
    rem
    rem if you need EMS memory available to your DOS program,
    rem then rem the above line and un-rem the following line:
    rem
    rem DEVICE=C:\WIN98\EMM386.EXE D=64 A=15 VERBOSE
    rem
    DOS=HIGH,UMB
    BUFFERSHIGH=50,0
    FILESHIGH=50
    STACKSHIGH=32,512
    rem
    rem use one of the following lines if you want CD-rom
    rem support while running in DOS mode. This assumes
    rem you have a c:\dos directory containing one of these
    rem CD-rom drivers:
    rem
    rem DEVICEHIGH=C:\DOS\CDROM.SYS /D:MSCD001 /DMA
    rem DEVICEHIGH=C:\DOS\CDTECH.SYS /D:MSCD001 /UDMA2 /V
    rem DEVICEHIGH=C:\DOS\MTMCDAI.SYS /D:MTMIDE01
    SWITCHES /F /W
    BREAK=ON

    [win98]
    DEVICE=C:\WIN98\HIMEM.SYS /verbose
    DEVICE=C:\WIN98\EMM386.EXE NOEMS D=64 A=15 VERBOSE
    DOS=HIGH,UMB
    BUFFERSHIGH=64,0
    FILES=64
    SWITCHES /F /W
    BREAK=ON
    ------------------------------------

    Here's the necessary autoexec.bat you'll need. If you need mouse or
    CD-rom support under DOS, then un-rem the rem'd lines in the :DOS
    section. I like having DOSKEY running, so that's why it's there. The
    setting I use result in the most available RAM do DOS by using LH
    (load-high) commands. Smartdrv also makes DOS run faster. If you
    need EMS memory for your DOS application, then modify the EMM386 stuff
    in the config.sys.

    -----------------------
    (contents of autoexec.bat)
    goto %config%

    :DOS
    LH C:\WIN98\SMARTDRV.EXE A- B- C+ /V 4096 4096 /E:8192 /B:8192
    rem LH C:\DOS\mouse.exe
    rem LH C:\WIN98\COMMAND\MSCDEX.EXE /D:MSCD001 /V /S /M:8
    LH C:\WIN98\COMMAND\doskey
    SET TEMP=C:\WIN98\TEMP
    SET PATH=C:\WIN98;C:\WIN98\COMMAND
    PROMPT $p$g
    LH c:\command.com
    goto end

    :win98
    rem LH C:\DOS\mouse.exe
    LH C:\WIN98\COMMAND\doskey
    SET TEMP=C:\WIN98\TEMP
    SET PATH=c:\win98;c:\win98\command
    PROMPT $p$g
    goto end

    :end
    ----------------------

    Soyo Man, Mar 13, 2005

  3. Bill Smith

    Bill Smith Guest

    On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 16:50:47 -0500, Soyo Man <> wrote:

    >Bill Smith wrote:
    >
    >> I have an application for this board in a PC running a CNC milling
    >> machine (I need at least one ISA slot). Can anyone give me some
    >> idea as to the reliability of it. Ease of set up is important.

    >We've bought about 40 of these boards in the past 2 years for the same
    >reason (need 1 ISA slot). We install identical hardware in it each
    >time (80 gb drive, Intel P-4 (celeron) 2.6 Ghz cpu, Nvidia video card,
    >LG CD/RW, 256 or 512 mb ram, etc). Systems that are shipped have XP
    >pro. A number of these boards are used for general office computers
    >running Win-98 or 2K.
    >
    >We've had good luck with them.
    >
    >What I/O addresses and/or DMA, IRQ addresses does your ISA board use?
    >Ours just uses I/O ports and there was one conflict with a smart-card
    >interface on the Soyo so we moved our address so it wouldn't conflict.

    What's a smart card interface?

    >One thing to look out for: Seems that the availability of CPU's for
    >this board is kinda wierd. You're going to be looking for a
    >non-Prescott P-4 and from what I can tell they're not as available now
    >as they were a few months ago.
    >
    >I think that by non-Prescott, they mean "Northwood". I've heard
    >conflicting info that a Socket 478 Prescott will work on a motherboard
    >designed for a Socket-478 Northwood, but I haven't tried that on this
    >Soyo.

    What's the difference?

    Thanks for you help.

    Bill Smith

    Bill Smith, Mar 13, 2005
  4. Bill Smith

    Andy Guest

    On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 15:31:10 -0800, Bill Smith
    <> wrote:

    >On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 16:50:47 -0500, Soyo Man <> wrote:
    >
    >>Bill Smith wrote:
    >> >

    >>One thing to look out for: Seems that the availability of CPU's for
    >>this board is kinda wierd. You're going to be looking for a
    >>non-Prescott P-4 and from what I can tell they're not as available now
    >>as they were a few months ago.
    >>
    >>I think that by non-Prescott, they mean "Northwood". I've heard
    >>conflicting info that a Socket 478 Prescott will work on a motherboard
    >>designed for a Socket-478 Northwood, but I haven't tried that on this
    >>Soyo.

    >What's the difference?

    The motherboard does not support the Prescott CPU, so using it would
    be unwise. The main difference is the Prescott CPU requires more power
    than the Northwood at a lower core voltage and much higher current.
    Unless the motherboard core voltage regulator is designed to support
    the Prescott CPU, it won't be able to power it.

    Andy, Mar 14, 2005
  5. Bill Smith

    Bill Smith Guest

    Bill Smith, Mar 15, 2005
  6. Bill Smith

    Soyo Man Guest

    A few years ago, P-4 motherboards with ISA slots were practically
    non-existant. Now they're all over the place.

    Might want to look at this one:

    http://www.supermicro.com/products/motherboard/P4/E7210/P4SCA.cfm

    • Single mPGA478 ZIF Sockets
    • Supports an Intel® Pentium® 4 processor with 2MB of integrated
    Advanced Transfer Cache up to 3.4GHz (Extreme Edition)
    • Supports an Intel® Celeron® processor with 128KB of integrated
    Advanced Transfer Cache up to 2.4GHz
    • Hyper-threading enabled
    • System Bus 800 / 533 / 400MHz system bus

    Question:

    What is the "extreme" edition?

    Which die is that based on? Prescott?

    Soyo Man, Mar 16, 2005