SOYO SY-KT400 Win XP Pro system keeps rebooting

Discussion in 'Soyo' started by slb, Nov 4, 2004.

  1. slb

    slb Guest

    Hi- My 2yr old Windows XP professional system keeps rebooting itself,
    whenver I'm in MS Word or Photoshop (basically anything except just
    web surfing). It seems to happen usually while I'm using
    it, most often when I have photoshop or winamp open, and a few apps
    open at once. After it reboots, it says Windows has recovered from a
    serious error, and reports:

    STOP: 0x0000009C (0x00000004, 0x00000000, 0xb2000000, 0x00020151)

    It links to:
    Microsoft Knowledge Base Article - 329284
    SYMPTOMS
    You may receive the following Stop error message:
    STOP: 0x0000009C (0x00000004, 0x00000000, 0xb2000000, 0x00020151)
    "MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION"
    The four parameters inside the parentheses may vary.
    CAUSE
    This behavior occurs because your computer processor detected and
    reported an unrecoverable hardware error to Windows XP. To do this,
    the processor used the Machine Check Exception (MCE) feature of
    Pentium processors or the Machine Check Architecture (MCA) feature of
    some Pentium Pro processors. The following factors may cause this
    error message:

    * System bus errors
    * Memory errors that may include parity or Error Correction Code
    (ECC) problems
    * Cache errors in the processor or hardware
    * Translation Lookaside Buffers (TLB) errors in the processor
    * Other CPU-vendor specific detected hardware problems
    * Vendor-specific detected hardware problems

    Anyone know how to tell if this is an overheating or a CPU problem?
    The reported CPU temperature is usually 68 degrees each time it
    reboots itself. I have a Soyo SY-KT400 dragon ultra motherboard and
    Athlon XP 2100, which has been very stable up until now. I have
    already tried:
    -reimaging with Win XP pro SP1
    -new power supply installed
    -new memory installed (Crucial)
    -new VIA 4 in 1 drivers installed
    -new BIOS version

    One other note: I haven't seen any problems in Fedora2 on this system
    (I dual-boot), so I still wonder if it's a Windows XP thing.

    Thanks for any tips.

    1. Advertising

  2. Jim B.

    Jim B. Guest

    (slb) wrote in message news:<>...

    My first suggestion is to go to this site:

    http://oca.microsoft.com/en/windiag.asp

    Download the memory testing program. It's a zip file and can be
    extracted to a floppy disk or you can extract it as an ISO file and
    burn it to a cd (with your problems it might be better if you did this
    on another computer and then just use it on yours). Run the program
    and see if it comes up with any errors.

    Curcial memory is in general good memroy but I have seen some from
    them that was bad. Of course they are excellent at covering the
    replacement if its bad.

    The ways that WinXP and Fedora use memory could be why your not
    experiancing the problem when using Fedora.

    > Hi- My 2yr old Windows XP professional system keeps rebooting itself,
    > whenver I'm in MS Word or Photoshop (basically anything except just
    > web surfing). It seems to happen usually while I'm using
    > it, most often when I have photoshop or winamp open, and a few apps
    > open at once. After it reboots, it says Windows has recovered from a
    > serious error, and reports:
    >
    > STOP: 0x0000009C (0x00000004, 0x00000000, 0xb2000000, 0x00020151)
    >
    > It links to:
    > Microsoft Knowledge Base Article - 329284
    > SYMPTOMS
    > You may receive the following Stop error message:
    > STOP: 0x0000009C (0x00000004, 0x00000000, 0xb2000000, 0x00020151)
    > "MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION"
    > The four parameters inside the parentheses may vary.
    > CAUSE
    > This behavior occurs because your computer processor detected and
    > reported an unrecoverable hardware error to Windows XP. To do this,
    > the processor used the Machine Check Exception (MCE) feature of
    > Pentium processors or the Machine Check Architecture (MCA) feature of
    > some Pentium Pro processors. The following factors may cause this
    > error message:
    >
    > * System bus errors
    > * Memory errors that may include parity or Error Correction Code
    > (ECC) problems
    > * Cache errors in the processor or hardware
    > * Translation Lookaside Buffers (TLB) errors in the processor
    > * Other CPU-vendor specific detected hardware problems
    > * Vendor-specific detected hardware problems
    >
    > Anyone know how to tell if this is an overheating or a CPU problem?
    > The reported CPU temperature is usually 68 degrees each time it
    > reboots itself. I have a Soyo SY-KT400 dragon ultra motherboard and
    > Athlon XP 2100, which has been very stable up until now. I have
    > already tried:
    > -reimaging with Win XP pro SP1
    > -new power supply installed
    > -new memory installed (Crucial)
    > -new VIA 4 in 1 drivers installed
    > -new BIOS version
    >
    > One other note: I haven't seen any problems in Fedora2 on this system
    > (I dual-boot), so I still wonder if it's a Windows XP thing.
    >
    > Thanks for any tips.

    1. Advertising

  3. hachiroku

    hachiroku Guest

    On Wed, 03 Nov 2004 17:26:33 -0800, slb wrote:

    > Hi- My 2yr old Windows XP professional system keeps rebooting itself,
    > whenver I'm in MS Word or Photoshop (basically anything except just
    > web surfing). It seems to happen usually while I'm using
    > it, most often when I have photoshop or winamp open, and a few apps
    > open at once. After it reboots, it says Windows has recovered from a
    > serious error, and reports:
    >
    > STOP: 0x0000009C (0x00000004, 0x00000000, 0xb2000000, 0x00020151)
    >
    > It links to:
    > Microsoft Knowledge Base Article - 329284
    > SYMPTOMS
    > You may receive the following Stop error message:
    > STOP: 0x0000009C (0x00000004, 0x00000000, 0xb2000000, 0x00020151)
    > "MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION"
    > The four parameters inside the parentheses may vary.
    > CAUSE
    > This behavior occurs because your computer processor detected and
    > reported an unrecoverable hardware error to Windows XP. To do this,
    > the processor used the Machine Check Exception (MCE) feature of
    > Pentium processors or the Machine Check Architecture (MCA) feature of
    > some Pentium Pro processors. The following factors may cause this
    > error message:
    >
    > * System bus errors
    > * Memory errors that may include parity or Error Correction Code
    > (ECC) problems
    > * Cache errors in the processor or hardware
    > * Translation Lookaside Buffers (TLB) errors in the processor
    > * Other CPU-vendor specific detected hardware problems
    > * Vendor-specific detected hardware problems
    >
    > Anyone know how to tell if this is an overheating or a CPU problem?
    > The reported CPU temperature is usually 68 degrees each time it
    > reboots itself. I have a Soyo SY-KT400 dragon ultra motherboard and
    > Athlon XP 2100, which has been very stable up until now. I have
    > already tried:
    > -reimaging with Win XP pro SP1
    > -new power supply installed
    > -new memory installed (Crucial)
    > -new VIA 4 in 1 drivers installed
    > -new BIOS version
    >
    > One other note: I haven't seen any problems in Fedora2 on this system
    > (I dual-boot), so I still wonder if it's a Windows XP thing.
    >
    > Thanks for any tips.

    I only have this problem when overclocking. Try lowering the clock speed.
    Also, it runs just fine with a Kingston HyperX PC3500, but have to drop
    the speed with a Crucial PC3200.

  4. Gary Balkam

    Gary Balkam Guest

    I have the same problem, I have an older beastie, only a P3, 533. I can OC
    to 600 and remain stable, but at 620.. BSoD.
    Try taking your overclock down in 10% increments until your system is
    stable. Just a suggestion.

    "hachiroku" <> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 03 Nov 2004 17:26:33 -0800, slb wrote:
    >
    > > Hi- My 2yr old Windows XP professional system keeps rebooting itself,
    > > whenver I'm in MS Word or Photoshop (basically anything except just
    > > web surfing). It seems to happen usually while I'm using
    > > it, most often when I have photoshop or winamp open, and a few apps
    > > open at once. After it reboots, it says Windows has recovered from a
    > > serious error, and reports:
    > >
    > > STOP: 0x0000009C (0x00000004, 0x00000000, 0xb2000000, 0x00020151)
    > >
    > > It links to:
    > > Microsoft Knowledge Base Article - 329284
    > > SYMPTOMS
    > > You may receive the following Stop error message:
    > > STOP: 0x0000009C (0x00000004, 0x00000000, 0xb2000000, 0x00020151)
    > > "MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION"
    > > The four parameters inside the parentheses may vary.
    > > CAUSE
    > > This behavior occurs because your computer processor detected and
    > > reported an unrecoverable hardware error to Windows XP. To do this,
    > > the processor used the Machine Check Exception (MCE) feature of
    > > Pentium processors or the Machine Check Architecture (MCA) feature of
    > > some Pentium Pro processors. The following factors may cause this
    > > error message:
    > >
    > > * System bus errors
    > > * Memory errors that may include parity or Error Correction Code
    > > (ECC) problems
    > > * Cache errors in the processor or hardware
    > > * Translation Lookaside Buffers (TLB) errors in the processor
    > > * Other CPU-vendor specific detected hardware problems
    > > * Vendor-specific detected hardware problems
    > >
    > > Anyone know how to tell if this is an overheating or a CPU problem?
    > > The reported CPU temperature is usually 68 degrees each time it
    > > reboots itself. I have a Soyo SY-KT400 dragon ultra motherboard and
    > > Athlon XP 2100, which has been very stable up until now. I have
    > > already tried:
    > > -reimaging with Win XP pro SP1
    > > -new power supply installed
    > > -new memory installed (Crucial)
    > > -new VIA 4 in 1 drivers installed
    > > -new BIOS version
    > >
    > > One other note: I haven't seen any problems in Fedora2 on this system
    > > (I dual-boot), so I still wonder if it's a Windows XP thing.
    > >
    > > Thanks for any tips.

    > I only have this problem when overclocking. Try lowering the clock speed.
    > Also, it runs just fine with a Kingston HyperX PC3500, but have to drop
    > the speed with a Crucial PC3200.

  5. hachiroku

    hachiroku Guest

    On Sat, 12 Mar 2005 09:43:23 -0400, Gary Balkam wrote:

    > I have the same problem, I have an older beastie, only a P3, 533. I can OC
    > to 600 and remain stable, but at 620.. BSoD.
    > Try taking your overclock down in 10% increments until your system is
    > stable. Just a suggestion.

    <Sobbing> I...I've tried everything... ;)

    I can clock to the max with Linux, it's just XP that seizes. Even Win2K
    can handle the speed. I had it dual booting and I didn't have to make any
    clock changes uuntil I loaded XP!