Speaker questions

Discussion in 'Soundcards' started by Furious May, Jul 20, 2003.

  1. Furious May

    Furious May Guest

    So I'm buying a set of 5.1 speakers and I don't have any idea how it
    all works. I'm buying the Monsoon MH-505, which by all accounts is
    totally sweet, but I'm still concerned about a few things:

    Is there any special software I need to listen to all the speakers, or
    can I just fire up the likes of Winamp and expect balanced music from
    all sides? I have an Audigy2 sound card; will that take care of that?
    Also, the Audigy2's Dolby Digital EX 6.1 decoding is where the hype
    is all about, but that means it also handles 5.1 speakers, right?

    Finally, MH-505 doesn't come with an external hardware Dolby Digital
    decoder. Is that bad? Do I need one for gaming or movies or music?