    the alarm to 74C, it does not go off when playing Prey, it just shuts down
    with no warning. I had the interval set at 2 seconds, so apparently it jumps
    from below 74 to 80+ in less than 2 sec? Or am I misunderstanding something?

    Ham Pastrami, Jul 31, 2007

  2. Ham Pastrami

    Wes Newell Guest

    On Tue, 31 Jul 2007 10:17:34 +0000, Ham Pastrami wrote:

    > Also, previously I was using MBM5 to try keeping my CPU temp under control.
    > The reason is that it overheats during the summer because I don't have AC in
    > my room. I already had to underclock my Athlon 3200 to a 2500 in order to
    > get any reasonable amount of playtime in games. But I am still getting
    > shutdowns when playing Prey. I was trying to locate exactly what temp causes
    > the shutdown, but MBM never seems to be able to catch it. If the CPU is at
    > the desktop it can go up to around 80C before shutdown. But even if I set
    > the alarm to 74C, it does not go off when playing Prey, it just shuts down
    > with no warning. I had the interval set at 2 seconds, so apparently it jumps
    > from below 74 to 80+ in less than 2 sec? Or am I misunderstanding something?

    If you want to significantly redice CPU temps you also need to lower
    vcore. However, it's just as likely that your video card is overheating.

    Wes Newell, Jul 31, 2007

  3. Ham Pastrami

    Ham Pastrami Guest

    "Wes Newell" <> wrote in message
    > If you want to significantly redice CPU temps you also need to lower
    > vcore. However, it's just as likely that your video card is overheating.

    I wasn't sure if the video card (a Radeon 9800 Pro btw) could shutdown the
    system. If that is the case, is there a way to monitor the GPU temp?

    Ham Pastrami, Jul 31, 2007
  4. Ham Pastrami

    Wes Newell Guest

    On Tue, 31 Jul 2007 15:45:36 -0700, Ham Pastrami wrote:

    > "Wes Newell" <> wrote in message
    >> If you want to significantly redice CPU temps you also need to lower
    >> vcore. However, it's just as likely that your video card is overheating.

    > I wasn't sure if the video card (a Radeon 9800 Pro btw) could shutdown the
    > system. If that is the case, is there a way to monitor the GPU temp?

    Should be, but I don't have a clue what you need for windows. Maybe check
    the ATI (AMD) site, or google for gpu temps.

    Wes Newell, Aug 1, 2007
  5. Ham Pastrami

    SumGuy Guest

    "Ham Pastrami" <> wrote in message

    > "Wes Newell" <> wrote in message
    >> If you want to significantly redice CPU temps you also need to lower
    >> vcore. However, it's just as likely that your video card is overheating.

    > I wasn't sure if the video card (a Radeon 9800 Pro btw) could shutdown the
    > system. If that is the case, is there a way to monitor the GPU temp?

    How hot is your room?

    My 2500+ might have peaked at 65-70 in 40 C temps here with no AC.

    Maybe you should look at you heatsink and fan to make sure it isn't blocked,
    or of you are using the default AMD heatsink for you CPU, get rid of it,
    they are terrible on the Athlon CPUs. I can't recall now, but I think it was
    something like 15 C difference in temp with a reasonable aftermarket
    heatsink on my CPU.

    Do you have overheat protection turned on in the BIOS. Maybe that is
    shutting down the comp.

    An overheating anything can cause all sorts of wierd behaviour.

    SumGuy, Aug 1, 2007
  6. Ham Pastrami

    Patty Guest

    On Wed, 01 Aug 2007 03:16:08 GMT, Wes Newell wrote:

    > On Tue, 31 Jul 2007 15:45:36 -0700, Ham Pastrami wrote:
    >

    >> "Wes Newell" <> wrote in message
    >>> If you want to significantly redice CPU temps you also need to lower
    >>> vcore. However, it's just as likely that your video card is overheating.

    >> I wasn't sure if the video card (a Radeon 9800 Pro btw) could shutdown the
    >> system. If that is the case, is there a way to monitor the GPU temp?

    > Should be, but I don't have a clue what you need for windows. Maybe check
    > the ATI (AMD) site, or google for gpu temps.

    I know that my GeForce card has a place in the configuration (Display
    Properties, Settings Tab, Advanced) where you can view the temperature of
    the GPU. Not sure if ATI has the same thing or not. I know that the
    default shutdown temperature for my GeForce 6200 is 145 C, which seems
    awful hot. It normally hovers between 39 C and 44 C, but then I don't play
    a lot of graphic intensive games.

    Patty

    Patty, Aug 3, 2007
  7. Patty wrote:

    | <snip>
    | I know that the default shutdown temperature for my GeForce 6200
    | is 145 C, which seems awful hot. ...

    Hi Patty -

    Even my Easy-Bake Oven® has been recalled .. because it seems to get "awful
    hot".

    http://www.hasbro.com/default.cfm?page=cs_recall_eb_oven

    It always burned my tasty little treats! And, in reviewing the recall, I
    was especially concerned with the 5-year old girl who suffered through a
    partial finger amputation due to a serious burn. :-{

    Jef

    Bird Janitor®, Aug 3, 2007
  8. Ham Pastrami

    Patty Guest

    On Fri, 03 Aug 2007 14:52:34 GMT, Bird Janitor® wrote:

    > Patty wrote:
    >|
    >| <snip>
    >| I know that the default shutdown temperature for my GeForce 6200
    >| is 145 C, which seems awful hot. ...
    >|

    > Hi Patty -
    >
    > Even my Easy-Bake Oven® has been recalled .. because it seems to get "awful
    > hot".
    >
    > http://www.hasbro.com/default.cfm?page=cs_recall_eb_oven
    >
    > It always burned my tasty little treats! And, in reviewing the recall, I
    > was especially concerned with the 5-year old girl who suffered through a
    > partial finger amputation due to a serious burn. :-{
    >
    > Jef

    You gotta watch out for those Easy-Bake Ovens, Jef! I remember when they
    only used a light bulb and a tin-foil liner in the oven to generate the
    heat. They sure have come a long way since my day! (oh oh, am I giving my
    age away now???? *vbg*)

    Patty

    Patty, Aug 3, 2007
  9. Ham Pastrami

    D Larsen Guest

    OT : Re: Speedfan, MBM on NF7-S2

    Jef,

    Perhaps you could make a little extra $$$ by publishing a cookbook on
    how to fix your "tasty little treats" using GeForce cards as the heat
    source in maybe a small, old AT case ? I'll bet Patty and I would buy
    one (if the price is reasonable) !

    ......and, it might generate some discussion traffic in this NG.

    Dean.....

    D Larsen, Aug 3, 2007
  10. Re: Re: Speedfan, MBM on NF7-S2

    D Larsen wrote:

    | Jef,
    |
    | Perhaps you could make a little extra $$$ by publishing a cookbook
    | on how to fix your "tasty little treats" using GeForce cards as the
    | heat source in maybe a small, old AT case ? I'll bet Patty and I
    | would buy one (if the price is reasonable) !
    |
    | .....and, it might generate some discussion traffic in this NG.
    |
    | Dean.....

    Hi Dean -

    I thought of that.

    But I didn't generate all that much interest (or traffic to the NG) when I
    published Qed's recipes from The Pit®:
    http://pages.sbcglobal.net/jefn/the-pit.html

    You think my Easy-Bake Oven® recipes would do any better?

    Think Yellow Sponge Cake...

    I'm sure you can imagine the first ingredient.

    Jef

    Bird Janitor®, Aug 4, 2007
  11. Patty wrote:

    | You gotta watch out for those Easy-Bake Ovens, Jef! I remember
    | when they only used a light bulb and a tin-foil liner in the oven to
    | generate the heat. They sure have come a long way since my day!
    | (oh oh, am I giving my age away now???? *vbg*)
    |
    | Patty

    Hi Patty -

    Actually my Easy-Bake Oven® uses only a light bulb and foil lining to
    generate the heat (hence all the melted sponges making my famous Yellow
    Sponge Cake).

    The trouble is that small fingers (and adult ones as well) fit all to well
    into small openings.

    Jef

    Bird Janitor®, Aug 4, 2007
  12. Ham Pastrami

    D Larsen Guest

    Jef,

    Hmmmm....I don't recall, after all these years, seeing this particular
    "ode" to the tasty treats from The Pit. Perhaps I started reading it,
    and ran off to puke....oh well....

    My sense is that you are correct....if THAT didn't generate any
    discussion traffic, then a cookbook based on your tasty Easy-Bake treats
    probably wouldn't, either

    Here's another idea....we know Patty lives in the more northerly
    "climes"....and since I'm a person of Norwegian heritage, perhaps there
    would be a market for some of HER favorite recipies for the Easy-Bake ?
    Then again, it seems like the Norwegians eat a lot of fish....I'm not a
    fish fan, but my MN cousins DID make some pretty great smoked fish, and
    some great deep-fried walleye.....maybe Patty has some good stuff that
    one can smoke in a AT case with some spices, wood chips, and a GeForce
    card <g> ! I'll bet she knows how to cook without using yellow sponges,
    too.....

    Based on your location, perhaps you could contribute a decent recipie
    for chili rellenos, too....I haven't had a decent one since I moved away
    from SoCal in the early 80's <g>

    Dean....

    D Larsen, Aug 4, 2007
  13. D Larsen wrote:

    | Jef,
    |
    | Hmmmm....I don't recall, after all these years, seeing this particular
    | "ode" to the tasty treats from The Pit. Perhaps I started reading it,
    | and ran off to puke....oh well....
    |
    | My sense is that you are correct....if THAT didn't generate any
    | discussion traffic, then a cookbook based on your tasty Easy-Bake
    | treats probably wouldn't, either
    |
    | Here's another idea....we know Patty lives in the more northerly
    | "climes"....and since I'm a person of Norwegian heritage, perhaps
    | there would be a market for some of HER favorite recipies for the
    | Easy-Bake ? Then again, it seems like the Norwegians eat a lot
    | of fish....I'm not a fish fan, but my MN cousins DID make some pretty
    | great smoked fish, and some great deep-fried walleye.....maybe
    | Patty has some good stuff that one can smoke in a AT case with
    | some spices, wood chips, and a GeForce card <g> ! I'll bet she
    | knows how to cook without using yellow sponges, too.....
    |
    | Based on your location, perhaps you could contribute a decent
    | recipie for chili rellenos, too....I haven't had a decent one since I
    | moved away from SoCal in the early 80's <g>
    |
    | Dean....

    Hi Dean -

    You've got my thinking cap going again (or, at least, the propeller on my
    beanie spinning).

    Why limit ourselves to smoked fish?

    How about Fire-Roasted Tomatoes, Bell Peppers, Chilis and Onions? I'm sure
    we could figure a way to then make some mighty tasty salsa in the Easy-Bake®
    after roasting the ingredients with the GeForce card in the AT case.

    But .. there is something to be said for fish. How about Blackened Catfish
    seasoned with Leaking Caps Sauce? Where's Homie® when we need him? I'm
    sure he could provide tens of thousands of leaking caps... I saw his
    sidewalk in Midvale littered with them. And it brings us right back
    on-topic, since we're writing on the Abit newsgroup.

    Back to Qed's recipes... all of the Spam® recipes come directly from
    Hormel's webpage (without any alteration). All of the Tripe recipes were
    gathered from the web (again, without any alterations). The Velveeta® Fudge
    recipe - straight from Kraft's website.

    All but one of the other recipes were taken from the web and certain
    cardio-vascular "liberties" were taken with them. I especially had fun with
    the photo of the Cornish Game Hen .. it's amazing how those critters skew,
    distort and colorize into something worthy of a good ¡Whork! in less than a
    minute using PhotoShop.

    I've actually received several comments that the Injera and Doro Wat recipe
    doesn't belong on my page .. because it's geniune and unaltered in any way.
    Folks looking for good eats from the Ethiopian Highlands will scour the web
    in the strangest places, I guess.

    And, finally, the cariacture drawn of me was found by the busboy at my
    favorite Chinese restaurant. It seems someone at an adjacent table was
    amused by my appearance and I was rendered onto the placemat. The resulting
    "art" is one of my most treasured things! I need to PhotoShop this one too,
    though. I've long since shaved the moustache.

    Jef

    Bird Janitor®, Aug 4, 2007
  14. In article <jYOri.857$>, says...

    > I wasn't sure if the video card (a Radeon 9800 Pro btw) could shutdown the
    > system. If that is the case, is there a way to monitor the GPU temp?

    Hmmm. I just pulled the NF7 out of my machine after some years of good service.

    Had one of those barton 2500s that would overclock easily to 3600, but I didn't
    ;-) The mobo mis-identified it during initial install and I set it at stock
    params after about a week to avoid premature smoke release.
    I have a big thermalright heatsink with a 12cm fan on that cpu, and a passive
    heatsink (Zalman) on my 9600XT video card. The cpu never went beyond 55C during
    some serious gaming sessions (I don't do FPS though, I should note).

    I did however get unexpected-shutdown and bsod trouble after I installed XP-
    SP2. It seemed to load up the ram or something, I really don't know what, that
    led to serious system instability. To get things back to stable I had to 1)
    unload SP2 and 2)crossgrade my memory from Kingston to Crucial and 3)slightly
    underclock the CPU. Pretty major, if you think about it. Something introduced
    by SP2 clearly did not get removed when I rolled back.

    I think you might just want to try one of the better aftermarket heatsinks and
    see if that alleviates your problems, maybe also a nice slow large case fan in
    the back of the case, because your cpu temps seem frighteningly high.
    If that doesn't work, I'd start looking at a major reinstall ...

    -Peter

    Peter Huebner, Aug 27, 2007
  15. Ham Pastrami

    SumGuy Guest

    "Peter Huebner" <> wrote in message
    > In article <jYOri.857$>,
    > says...
    >>
    >> I wasn't sure if the video card (a Radeon 9800 Pro btw) could shutdown
    >> the
    >> system. If that is the case, is there a way to monitor the GPU temp?
    >>

    > Hmmm. I just pulled the NF7 out of my machine after some years of good
    > service.
    >
    > Had one of those barton 2500s that would overclock easily to 3600, but I
    > didn't
    > ;-) The mobo mis-identified it during initial install and I set it at
    > stock
    > params after about a week to avoid premature smoke release.
    > I have a big thermalright heatsink with a 12cm fan on that cpu, and a
    > passive
    > heatsink (Zalman) on my 9600XT video card. The cpu never went beyond 55C
    > during
    > some serious gaming sessions (I don't do FPS though, I should note).
    >
    > I did however get unexpected-shutdown and bsod trouble after I installed
    > XP-
    > SP2. It seemed to load up the ram or something, I really don't know what,
    > that
    > led to serious system instability. To get things back to stable I had to
    > 1)
    > unload SP2 and 2)crossgrade my memory from Kingston to Crucial and
    > 3)slightly
    > underclock the CPU. Pretty major, if you think about it. Something
    > introduced
    > by SP2 clearly did not get removed when I rolled back.
    >
    > I think you might just want to try one of the better aftermarket heatsinks
    > and
    > see if that alleviates your problems, maybe also a nice slow large case
    > fan in
    > the back of the case, because your cpu temps seem frighteningly high.
    > If that doesn't work, I'd start looking at a major reinstall ...
    >
    > -Peter

    The stock heatsinks for the AthlonXP CPUs were dreadful. I dropped about
    15C from my temp by swapping, and the max I ever saw the temp was 60C in
    summer, (40ish ambient temps).

    I have an NF7-S2 with a 2500+ CPU, (not overclocked), an ATI 9800 pro also,
    but have never had any trouble with WindowsXP on it, and still update it
    regularly. Played plenty of FPS games on it, and off hand can't remember and
    major, (or even minor) problems.

    I did have some trouble with what seems to be a flakey SATA controller. RAID
    0 setups kept failing with chkdsk reporting corrupt sectors on the disk,
    however once formatted and used as single disks, no problems. Used 1 SATA
    drive with no problem, till I added a second SATA drive, (non RAID), then
    began getting corrupt files, especially notable with bittorrent downloads -
    the majority would report complete until I did a hash check, then they
    woulds report as 98-99% complete. Removed the second drive SATA drive and no
    problem. Am using it today as my workhorse, and my "toy" box is a different
    machine.

    I'm not sure the 9800 supports temp monitoring - though it does give a sweet
    picture on my Samsung LCD monitor, better than my Nvidia 7950.

    SumGuy, Aug 27, 2007