squeak noise from st61g4

Discussion in 'Shuttle' started by Tim_Mac, Nov 5, 2005.

  1. Tim_Mac

    Tim_Mac Guest

    hi,
    my shuttle ST61G4 system runs very smoothly, and i have no stability
    problems. it's a p4 3.0ghz, with 2x512 ddr, and SATA hd. over the
    last few months i've noticed a squeak noise under very specific
    circumstances. in photoshop, when i am making a selection, the CPU
    runs quite high ~75%, and this is when the squeak happens. when i
    cancel the selection, the squeak stops. i've tried running several
    diagnostic / benchmark tools to try and reproduce the problem in other
    applications, but i can't get it to happen elsewhere, except sometimes
    when smooth-scrolling in a long MS word document.
    i listened up close to the motherboard to see if i could identify where
    the squeak is coming from, but it's very hard to tell.

    i loaded up the bios and changed the main power fan speed from low to
    full and everything in between and there was no squeak, so i'm sure it
    isn't the power fan.

    thanks for any tips or suggestions!
    tim

    1. Advertising

  2. Clark

    Clark Guest

    Are you using the onboard video and could it be the chipset fan?

    Are you running anything that will give the temps of the CPU when this
    happens?

    Clark

    Tim_Mac wrote:
    > hi,
    > my shuttle ST61G4 system runs very smoothly, and i have no stability
    > problems. it's a p4 3.0ghz, with 2x512 ddr, and SATA hd. over the
    > last few months i've noticed a squeak noise under very specific
    > circumstances. in photoshop, when i am making a selection, the CPU
    > runs quite high ~75%, and this is when the squeak happens. when i
    > cancel the selection, the squeak stops. i've tried running several
    > diagnostic / benchmark tools to try and reproduce the problem in other
    > applications, but i can't get it to happen elsewhere, except sometimes
    > when smooth-scrolling in a long MS word document.
    > i listened up close to the motherboard to see if i could identify where
    > the squeak is coming from, but it's very hard to tell.
    >
    > i loaded up the bios and changed the main power fan speed from low to
    > full and everything in between and there was no squeak, so i'm sure it
    > isn't the power fan.
    >
    > thanks for any tips or suggestions!
    > tim

    1. Advertising

  3. Tim_Mac

    Tim_Mac Guest

    hi clark, thanks for the reply. yes i am using the on-board video. i
    gather the chipset fan is the small one in the middle... 'scuse my
    ignorance :)
    unfortuantely "motherboard monitor" doesn't support this motherboard
    and none of the other utilities seem to either, so i can't get any temp
    readings from windows. the bios will tell me alright, but i can't
    reproduce the squeak noise from there.
    is there something i could try to fix it? a drop of oil?? i don't
    think there's any dust build-up in it. it's probably not the end of
    the world because it only happens under very limited circumstances, and
    under normal operation it seems fine.
    thanks
    tim

  4. Clark

    Clark Guest

    Try SpeedFan to monitor the temps and other things.

    http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php

    That might tell you if it is running hot. Otherwise, I don't really
    know what the noise would be. I believe the processor will scream if it
    gets too hot. The fans will become high pitched if they are going
    really fast. Some electrical components will make a high pitched noise
    if they are not quite right. And Windows will make a noise if you get
    ahead in making inputs so as to cause a warning beep or series of beeps,
    but this would be an abnormal situation where the computer is hanging
    and not taking input.

    Have you tried moving the box during the incident to see if anything
    changes?

    Clark

    Tim_Mac wrote:
    > hi clark, thanks for the reply. yes i am using the on-board video. i
    > gather the chipset fan is the small one in the middle... 'scuse my
    > ignorance :)
    > unfortuantely "motherboard monitor" doesn't support this motherboard
    > and none of the other utilities seem to either, so i can't get any temp
    > readings from windows. the bios will tell me alright, but i can't
    > reproduce the squeak noise from there.
    > is there something i could try to fix it? a drop of oil?? i don't
    > think there's any dust build-up in it. it's probably not the end of
    > the world because it only happens under very limited circumstances, and
    > under normal operation it seems fine.
    > thanks
    > tim

  5. Tim_Mac

    Tim_Mac Guest

    hi Clark. thanks for the tip about SpeedFan, i tried it out and it
    works fine with my motherboard. everything is normal, CPU temp is
    about 40c most of the time, and doesn't go up more than one or two when
    the squeak noise happens. so i'm sure it isn't a heat problem. also
    the fans seem to be running normally. the computer has been fine for a
    good long time so i think i'll just leave it and make sure to clean out
    the dust every few months. i tried moving the computer at different
    angles during the noise but it didn't change. my impression is that
    it's not a mechanical squeak, the best way i can describe it is if you
    can imagine a nest of very young hungry birds all squeaking to get
    attention, if you took that sound and muffled it and increased the
    frequency, it would be quite like what i have. it's an irregular
    oscilalting pitch. ah well i can't say i didn't try now, i'm happy to
    just leave it.

    thanks again for your help and suggestions.
    tim

  6. Clark

    Clark Guest

    Well, the only other thing would be the bearings on one of your fans.
    It would not seem to meet the criteria of when it happens, but if the
    fans are speeding up, it might cause the noise only when you experience it.

    My ST61G4 is sitting about 3 feet from my head and I near no such
    noises--, but it is fairly new.

    Clark