Sr. Server Engineer (Vintage Systems) at Living Computer Museum, Vulcan Inc., Seattle

Discussion in 'HP' started by Rich Alderson, Oct 1, 2011.

  1. By way of preface, you may have seen an article in the Wall Street Journal
    last month about Paul Allen's collection of vintage mainframe and minicomputer
    systems, devoted in particular to my colleague's travels in Australia to
    look for a 7094 (which turned out to be a 7090) and a System/360. We have
    acquired a 360/40, along with another manufacturers' large systems, and need
    to add someone to our team.

    Vulcan Inc. - Seattle, WA
    Living Computer Museum

    Vulcan's Vintage Systems Team is responsible for the restoration,
    operation and maintenance of the Living Computer Museum's collection of
    vintage computer systems. This collection includes mainframe and
    minicomputer systems manufactured by companies such as Digital Equipment
    Corporation, Data General, IBM, and Hewlett-Packard during the emergence
    of interactive and timeshared computing. The goal of the Living
    Computer Museum is to restore these systems to run historically
    appropriate software, presenting them as living artifacts to the
    academic and research communities and to the public. The systems and
    their associated software and documentation are curated to preserve
    their historical provenance. For more information on the Living
    Computer Museum, please visit

    http://www.LivingComputerMuseum.org/

    Sr. Server Engineer

    The Sr. Server Engineer is responsible for the restoration of vintage
    systems as well as day-to-day operation and maintenance of the Living
    Computer Museum collection. Responsibilities include hardware and
    software installation, configuration, maintenance, troubleshooting,
    procurement of parts, and certification/performance testing of the
    various computer systems including associated peripherals. Additional
    duties include research and writing regarding individual systems and
    their restoration and preservation. When required and on occasion,
    responsibilities include assisting on special projects.

    The ideal candidate will have a Bachelor's degree and at least 6 years
    related experience and/or training. Operations and administration
    experience required with mainframe and minicomputer systems, with
    emphasis on timesharing systems, or senior-level field service
    experience with same. Must have strong analytical and planning skills
    with the ability to communicate and conceptualize projects to integrate
    the technology with the needs and functions of the Living Computer
    Museum.

    For a full job description and to apply, please visit our careers site:

    http://jobs.vulcan.com/

    --
    Rich Alderson
    Vintage Computing Sr. Server Engineer Senior Curator

    mailto:
    mailto:

    --
    Rich Alderson
    the russet leaves of an autumn oak/inspire once again the failed poet/

    Rich Alderson, Oct 1, 2011

  2. Rich Alderson

    Robert Baer Guest

    Re: Sr. Server Engineer (Vintage Systems) at Living Computer Museum,Vulcan Inc., Seattle

    Rich Alderson wrote:
    > By way of preface, you may have seen an article in the Wall Street Journal
    > last month about Paul Allen's collection of vintage mainframe and minicomputer
    > systems, devoted in particular to my colleague's travels in Australia to
    > look for a 7094 (which turned out to be a 7090) and a System/360. We have
    > acquired a 360/40, along with another manufacturers' large systems, and need
    > to add someone to our team.

    > Vulcan Inc. - Seattle, WA
    > Living Computer Museum
    >
    > Vulcan's Vintage Systems Team is responsible for the restoration,
    > operation and maintenance of the Living Computer Museum's collection of
    > vintage computer systems. This collection includes mainframe and
    > minicomputer systems manufactured by companies such as Digital Equipment
    > Corporation, Data General, IBM, and Hewlett-Packard during the emergence
    > of interactive and timeshared computing. The goal of the Living
    > Computer Museum is to restore these systems to run historically
    > appropriate software, presenting them as living artifacts to the
    > academic and research communities and to the public. The systems and
    > their associated software and documentation are curated to preserve
    > their historical provenance. For more information on the Living
    > Computer Museum, please visit
    >
    > http://www.LivingComputerMuseum.org/
    >
    > Sr. Server Engineer
    >
    > The Sr. Server Engineer is responsible for the restoration of vintage
    > systems as well as day-to-day operation and maintenance of the Living
    > Computer Museum collection. Responsibilities include hardware and
    > software installation, configuration, maintenance, troubleshooting,
    > procurement of parts, and certification/performance testing of the
    > various computer systems including associated peripherals. Additional
    > duties include research and writing regarding individual systems and
    > their restoration and preservation. When required and on occasion,
    > responsibilities include assisting on special projects.
    >
    > The ideal candidate will have a Bachelor's degree and at least 6 years
    > related experience and/or training. Operations and administration
    > experience required with mainframe and minicomputer systems, with
    > emphasis on timesharing systems, or senior-level field service
    > experience with same. Must have strong analytical and planning skills
    > with the ability to communicate and conceptualize projects to integrate
    > the technology with the needs and functions of the Living Computer
    > Museum.
    >
    > For a full job description and to apply, please visit our careers site:
    >
    > http://jobs.vulcan.com/

    As i vaguely remember the 7090, the logic cards used discreet
    Germanium PNP transistors.
    And before the modifications making it a 7094 and then extending it,
    the maximum memory was 1Meg with three index registers.

    Robert Baer, Jan 30, 2012