    heavily loaded or peripherals were running.

    Does anyone know how to fix this? I'm out of warranty period now.

    Thx, ..Roger

    Roger Colbeck, Nov 20, 2006

  2. Roger Colbeck

    Eric Parker Guest

    "Roger Colbeck" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    >I have a ST62K. I've already had one mobo replaced under warranty for
    >a bad fan controller (or connector?). The fan itself was fine but it
    >did not work when connected to one of the 3 fan controller
    >connectors. Now on the replacement board, all three controllers seem
    >to have died steadily over the last year. The fan itself works if
    >just connected to the 12V but then the system is far too loud, and I
    >don't have the benefit of the Smart controller that ramped fan speed
    >up only in rare circumstances where the CPU was heavily loaded or
    >peripherals were running.
    >
    > Does anyone know how to fix this? I'm out of warranty period now.
    >
    > Thx, ..Roger

    Roger

    Exactly the same problem for me but with 2 SK83Gs.
    I connected the fan permanently to 7volts using these :
    http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=37054&criteria=Cooling Accessories&doy=20m11
    Watch the wrap.
    I believe there are 5v, 7v, 9v and of course 12v versions.
    Pick the correct one for your conditions/environment.
    I know it's not as clever - but it does work.

    Eric

    --
    Remove the dross to contact me directly

    Eric Parker, Nov 20, 2006

  3. Thanks Eric. Yes I had already made a 7V connection, but it is still too
    loud. I really would like to know what IC is the problem and replace it. I
    guess instead what I'll do is build my own simple temperature controlled
    fan. There are schematics on the web - only 3 components required.

    ...Roger

    Roger Colbeck, Nov 22, 2006