    near future, so this is an issue for me.

    Thanks for any tips or advice.

    Ule

    U. U., Jun 5, 2004

  2. U. U.

    Aaron Guest

    "U. U." <> wrote in message news:<Xns94FF77947FFDFuubonfighotmail@209.221.136.9>...
    > I am getting a new PC and would like to leave it on all my waking hours, so
    > I am concerned about power consumption when it's just sitting there not
    > doing anything. AMD XP processors seems to have standby power usage of
    > only about 5 watts, but what about Intel processors? Can they also be put
    > into a standby mode of low power (couldn't find any info about this on
    > Intel's website)? I expect electrical costs to increase rapidly in the
    > near future, so this is an issue for me.
    >
    > Thanks for any tips or advice.
    >
    > Ule

    I'm pretty sure most computers can go into standby. Then they just
    use power to keep the memory intact. Even more conservative would be
    a computer that can "hibernate", in which the system state is written
    to the harddrive and the computer is turned off. On powerup, it just
    loads the data off of the harddrive into memory, and you are ready to
    go again, with programs still open and everything.

    If you are really after power savings, maybe you should go for a
    desktop replacement laptop. Then you won't have to pay upfront for a
    LCD monitor if you don't already have one. LCD's take lots less
    power. However, laptops will never be as good as desktops for
    somethings, namely games. However, if you don't do games and can find
    a laptop with a suitable keyboard, there is no reason other than a
    couple hundred dollars not to go with one.

    Enjoy whatever you choose.

    Aaron

    Aaron, Jun 6, 2004

  3. U. U.

    U. U. Guest

    Thanks, a computer with a "hibernate" mode sounds like just what I'm
    looking for. Now, how czn I find one? Are there particular chip/chip
    set/motherboard combinations that do hibernation?

    Thanks in advance.

    (Aaron) wrote in

    U. U., Jun 6, 2004
  4. U. U.

    Aaron Guest

    "U. U." <> wrote in message news:<Xns9500787631714uubonfighotmail@209.221.136.9>...
    > Thanks, a computer with a "hibernate" mode sounds like just what I'm
    > looking for. Now, how czn I find one? Are there particular chip/chip
    > set/motherboard combinations that do hibernation?
    >
    > Thanks in advance.
    >
    > (Aaron) wrote in
    >
    > > Even more conservative would be
    > > a computer that can "hibernate", in which the system state is written
    > > to the harddrive and the computer is turned off. On powerup, it just
    > > loads the data off of the harddrive into memory, and you are ready to
    > > go again, with programs still open and everything.

    If you plan on buying in a "brick and mortar" store, just ask the
    salesperson. However, they might lie to you, or just be uninformed.
    So, you should check yourself. Hibernate should be one of the
    shutdown options.

    I think Hibernate has to be supported by the motherboard, but I'm not
    sure which are compatible.

    Are you going with a laptop or a desktop?

    Aaron

    Aaron, Jun 6, 2004
  5. U. U.

    U. U. Guest

    (Aaron) wrote in

    > Are you going with a laptop or a desktop?

    A desktop would be best for my use, and easier to afford.

    Thanks for your help.

    Ule

    U. U., Jun 7, 2004
  6. U. U.

    ray Guest

    it has to be supported at the hardware as well as software level (os)
    2k xp support them for sure... (ME im not sure about) also look for
    all hardware which is 100% ACPI compliant.. lastly ull need as much
    free space on ur hdd as u have ram (if u have 512mb ram u need 512 mb
    on ur hdd free)

    ray, Jun 8, 2004
  7. U. U.

    ECM Guest

    "U. U." <> wrote in message news:<Xns950173A19FFD2uubonfighotmail@209.221.136.9>...
    > (Aaron) wrote in
    >
    > > Are you going with a laptop or a desktop?
    > >

    > A desktop would be best for my use, and easier to afford.
    >
    > Thanks for your help.
    >
    > Ule

    You should also check to see if your application will hibernate OK -
    some don't survive hibernation, for whatever reason. Search for "your
    app. (whatever it is) hibernate" on Google and see if there's any hint
    of problems. I can't use hibernation with a proprietary
    record-keeping system we use at work, because the connection to the
    server crashes (instantly!), and I get nasty emails from the sysop. I
    also can't use hibernation with a video encoding package I use at
    home; the whole program and all the data is corrupted when I re-start.
    Only a real boot will do.

    Good Luck!
    ECM

    ECM, Jun 9, 2004
  8. AMDs are cheaper upfront. the desktop versions of both intel and AMD
    are about the same when it comes to power consumption ( the
    manufactureres do not care that much about power consumption on a
    desktop since theere is a constatn source of power. Win 200 supports
    hibernate. i would suggest an ASUS motherboard
    and go to http://www.tomshardware.com/ to check out the stats on the
    system.
    but AMD is cheaper with the same performance as an Intel

    lowTheoryhighLogic, Jun 11, 2004
  9. U. U.

    Marsupilami Guest

    I use an Asus A7N8X v2 motherboard and hibernation works. You need a
    good power supply with gives 2A on the 5v circuit.

    Marsupilami, Aug 3, 2004