    ANYTHING INCLUDING SPILLS AND ACCIDENTAL DAMAGE!
    Go to hell, gateway - you belong their.

    , Jan 23, 2008

  2. Ben Myers Guest

    Same with HP. Worse yet, if you don't remove your hard drive with all your data
    on it, the system you get back will have another hard drive with a fresh copy of
    Windows.

    This all works out well for me, because I do a lot of upgrades and post-warranty
    repairs on Gateways, HPaqs, and Dells. I do not charge hundreds of dollars and
    I reserve the right to use generic replacement parts for the ones with the
    Gateway/HPaq/Dell sticker on it. They ALL use the same generic parts these
    days, and try to fool you into think that their parts are special all because of
    the stupid paper sticker with their part number on it.

    What really drives me up the wall are these corporate (and govt) purchasing
    types who must match the exact part number at any price, rather than having
    someone with technical expertise determine what the generic part is. So I do
    not sell spare parts to these corporate types, who continue to waste money.

    .... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Jan 24, 2008

  3. Guest

    On Jan 23, 8:50 pm, Ben Myers <>
    wrote:
    > Same with HP.  Worse yet, if you don't remove your hard drive with all your data
    > on it, the system you get back will have another hard drive with a fresh copy of
    > Windows.
    >
    > This all works out well for me, because I do a lot of upgrades and post-warranty
    > repairs on Gateways, HPaqs, and Dells.  I do not charge hundreds of dollars and
    > I reserve the right to use generic replacement parts for the ones with the
    > Gateway/HPaq/Dell sticker on it.  They ALL use the same generic parts these
    > days, and try to fool you into think that their parts are special all because of
    > the stupid paper sticker with their part number on it.
    >
    > What really drives me up the wall are these corporate (and govt) purchasing
    > types who must match the exact part number at any price, rather than having
    > someone with technical expertise determine what the generic part is.  SoI do
    > not sell spare parts to these corporate types, who continue to waste money..
    >
    > ... Ben Myers
    >
    > On Wed, 23 Jan 2008 15:06:38 -0800 (PST), ""
    >

    > <> wrote:
    > >These people don't stand behind their product. They even refuse to
    > >sell you parts unless you send a computer to them "for repairs" so
    > >that they could charge you hundreds of dollars for their "expertise".
    > >If this is not extortion, I honestly don't know what is.
    > >I spoke with their vip, and the guy told me that they "harvest parts
    > >from old computers to perform repairs"... isn't it cute! BTW, my
    > >computer is not old by any means but it's out of their miserable
    > >warrantly. Hell with it - I am willing to pay for the part but not for
    > >bouncing the machine all over the country.
    > >I am buying an ASUS that has 2 year warranty including 1 year for
    > >ANYTHING INCLUDING SPILLS AND ACCIDENTAL DAMAGE!
    > >Go to hell, gateway - you belong their.- Hide quoted text -

    Hi Ben,
    Since you are a pro in this. Where can I get cooling fan for gateway
    M350WVN laptop?
    Thanks in advance.
    As far as hp, and suchlike goes - I would NEVER buy a box of matches
    from them. I'm getting a new laptop from Asus. Among other things, at
    least according to my experience, Korean companies treat their
    customers better than those based in texas :)

    , Jan 28, 2008
  4. Ben Myers Guest

    Here are some possibilities:

    If you are talking about the internal cooling fan, and it does not spin at all,
    your best bet may well be eBay. There are also 3rd party parts houses, who
    generally charge a bundle for the parts.

    If the internal cooling fan is spinning but the computer keeps overheating, the
    computer needs to be opened up and the fan vent area and the fan itself need to
    be cleaned thoroughy with compressed air and q-tips. Sometimes just a blast of
    compressed air is enough to dislodge enough dust to get the run running
    efficiently again. Same for the secondary cooling fan for the graphics chip on
    some models.

    Finally, you can buy an inexpensive USB cooling unit that sits underneath the
    laptop computer and ventilates from underneath.

    .... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Jan 28, 2008
  5. Ben Myers Guest

    One more comment here. Especially for laptops, parts for Gateway computers are
    relatively hard to find compared to, say, Dell. Some of this has to do with
    the relative numbers of computers sold, and some may have to do with spare parts
    manufacturing and stocking strategies in the two companies.

    However, compared to Sony and Toshiba, spares are really easy to find for
    Gateways. HPaq parts are just about as difficult to find as Gateway's.

    Ben Myers, Jan 28, 2008
  6. Guest

    On Jan 28, 9:45 am, Ben Myers <>
    wrote:
    > One more comment here.  Especially for laptops, parts for Gateway computers are
    > relatively hard to find compared to, say, Dell.   Some of this has to dowith
    > the relative numbers of computers sold, and some may have to do with spareparts
    > manufacturing and stocking strategies in the two companies.
    >
    > However, compared to Sony and Toshiba, spares are really easy to find for
    > Gateways.  HPaq parts are just about as difficult to find as Gateway's.
    >
    > ... Ben Myers
    >
    > On Mon, 28 Jan 2008 05:25:58 -0800 (PST), ""
    >

    > <> wrote:
    > >On Jan 23, 8:50 pm, Ben Myers <>
    > >wrote:
    > >> Same with HP.  Worse yet, if you don't remove your hard drive with all your data
    > >> on it, the system you get back will have another hard drive with a fresh copy of
    > >> Windows.

    > >> This all works out well for me, because I do a lot of upgrades and post-warranty
    > >> repairs on Gateways, HPaqs, and Dells.  I do not charge hundreds of dollars and
    > >> I reserve the right to use generic replacement parts for the ones with the
    > >> Gateway/HPaq/Dell sticker on it.  They ALL use the same generic partsthese
    > >> days, and try to fool you into think that their parts are special all because of
    > >> the stupid paper sticker with their part number on it.

    > >> What really drives me up the wall are these corporate (and govt) purchasing
    > >> types who must match the exact part number at any price, rather than having
    > >> someone with technical expertise determine what the generic part is.  So I do
    > >> not sell spare parts to these corporate types, who continue to waste money.

    > >> ... Ben Myers

    > >Hi Ben,
    > >Since you are a pro in this. Where can I get cooling fan for gateway
    > >M350WVN laptop?
    > >Thanks in advance.
    > >As far as hp, and suchlike goes - I would NEVER buy a box of matches
    > >from them. I'm getting a new laptop from Asus. Among other things, at
    > >least according to my experience, Korean companies treat their
    > >customers better than those based in texas :)- Hide quoted text -

    Thanks for the input!
    One fan is spinning, and the other one is not, and when the machine is
    booted the message "check your fan" is displayed. I have the cooling
    pad, and am using it. I also found a used fan online for $59...

    , Jan 28, 2008
  7. You left out the fact that they pay for tech time curb to curb, and yeah I
    road that gravey train a time or two.

    Kevin Childers, Feb 7, 2008
  8. Ben Myers Guest

    On the infrequent occasions I get involved with Fed Govt or Fed contractors, I
    charge my usual hourly rate portal to portal, with 50% premium 5pm-midnight and
    100% premium for graveyard shift. If they want it, they pay for it. Oops! We,
    the taxpayers, pay for it... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Feb 8, 2008
  9. Yes, and pay they do. If you can find an opportunity to do so, you might do
    what we were doing. We were the local techs (subcontracted) representing a
    couple of companies who had won support contracts with the
    militay/government. As such we were paid $50.00 an hour, one hour minimum
    and billed by the hour, for every call. It took about 30 minutes to get
    there and 30 minutes back, plus what ever time we spent on site. If a hard
    drive was bad we went and pulled it (about a 15 minute job all time counted)
    and then shipped it off to where ever the company designated. A day or two
    later a new hard drive would be shipped in, preloaded, and we would go
    install it. All told it would add up to about $200.00. Our tax dollars at
    work. Since we were the local reps for several companies we had each
    company that had them send us a couple of shirts so the end users would know
    which company was doing the work.

    Only real issue was that some locations had us showing up one day after the
    other working for different companies on different systems. Confused the
    hell out of the end users, as we could not work on a company B computer
    while on a company E tech call. Some companies had us responding the same
    day and some would take a day or two to get the work order to us. Military
    guys were OK with it, but on occasion it frustrated the hell out of the
    civilians.

    Also we were eligable for some good discounts on equipment through the
    companies emplyee purchasing program.

    Good work if you can get it. All tech with hardly any paperwork, just the
    usual business paperwork, but then the boss and the front office folks saw
    to that.

    Kevin Childers, Feb 8, 2008
  10. AmyW Guest

    I have loved all four of my gateway compters - 2 of which have been
    laptops and have found their custemer service great.

    <> wrote:

    > I honestly don't know what is.
    >I spoke with their vip, and the guy told me that they "harvest parts
    >from old computers to perform repairs"... isn't it cute! BTW, my

    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    Science in harmony with Nature
    mailto:
    http://www.shaklee.net/williamson
    http://www.cinchplan.com/williamson

    Ciao for now!

    Humorous thought of the day:
    Bones, I'm a captain, not a doctor. - Kirk

    AmyW, Mar 10, 2008
  11. chicagofan Guest

    AmyW wrote:
    > I have loved all four of my gateway compters - 2 of which have been
    > laptops and have found their customer service great.

    Same here! Have had 3 desktops plus one laptop, and never had to make
    a technical or repair call... in those 14 years. You can't beat that... IMO.

    Feel like I ought to knock on wood now, for some reason. ;)
    bj

    chicagofan, Mar 12, 2008
  12. Ben Myers Guest

    Anyone who thinks that NEW parts must be used for repair of a computer is living
    in another century, the 19th one.

    It has long been a common practice for name brand companies and 3rd party
    service companies alike to repair a computer with used parts. The life cycle
    of a typical computer these days is very short, and companies do not keep much
    of a stock of spares, except maybe for government contracts. So customer
    returns and other used computers get scavenged for spare parts. Harvested?
    Well, a computer is not exactly a plant.

    Back when the IBM PC XT and AT were hot stuff, the life cycle was at least 3
    years, and companies kept plenty of spares to repair $4000-$6000 computers. Now
    a computer often costs under $500, and may not be worth repairing by a
    mainstream company... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Mar 12, 2008
  13. cryptik

    Joined:
    Apr 17, 2008
    Messages:
    2
    While I've only seen a few problems with Gateways over the years, their customer support is horrible. I called because I was taking a look at a computer for someone and they wanted to buy recovery CDs because theirs were lost. The customer support rep REFUSED TO TALK TO ME because "I couldn't prove that I was a Gateway customer." I wanted to GIVE THEM MONEY to SEND ME RECOVERY DISCS FOR THE COMPUTER, and they wouldn't even talk to me. Sheesh.

    cryptik, Apr 17, 2008