Storage 3310 RAID array as JBOD

Discussion in 'Sun Hardware' started by Mario, Apr 28, 2009.

  1. Mario

    Mario Guest

    Hi,

    I have Storage 3310 RAID array. I want to use it as JBOD, half of the
    disks connected to
    one controller channel, the other half to other controller channel.
    I connected cables as it's is shown on FIGURE 4-16 (http://
    docs.sun.com/source/816-7290-19/ch04_cable.html#pgfId-999796)
    but without expansion unit and with one host.
    Seems that's not ok since disks are not recognize by format command.
    There was RAID 5 was configured. I erased it. What should be
    configured at storage?

    Thanks
    Mario

    1. Advertising

  2. DoN. Nichols

    DoN. Nichols Guest

    On 2009-04-28, Mario <> wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have Storage 3310 RAID array. I want to use it as JBOD, half of the
    > disks connected to
    > one controller channel, the other half to other controller channel.
    > I connected cables as it's is shown on FIGURE 4-16 (http://
    > docs.sun.com/source/816-7290-19/ch04_cable.html#pgfId-999796)
    > but without expansion unit and with one host.
    > Seems that's not ok since disks are not recognize by format command.
    > There was RAID 5 was configured. I erased it. What should be
    > configured at storage?

    Well ... with a just plain JBOD, if I connect it and fire up
    format, it won't see the new drives on a Sun Fire 280R or Sun Blade
    2000.

    To have format see them, I first have to issue the command:

    devfsadm -c disk -C

    to make the entries in /dev/ and /devices to access the disks.

    However, I have no idea how to deal with the hardware RAID.
    (But you will probably need to do the format with the "-e" option to
    turn off the special partitioning that the RAID uses -- and you *might*
    also need to go through the dance of:

    1) Plug in drive

    2) Run "devfsadm -c disk -C"

    3) type "format -e c?t?d0" (using whatever parameters are needed
    to access the drive).

    4) After it takes several minutes to discover that it can't
    understand the current format, you select the "type" menu
    entry, and then select "0. Auto configure".

    If you have disks which have been used by certain hardware RAID
    systems (the ones which I had were FC-AL disks which came in EMC
    carriers -- no idea whose RAID controller), and you do
    *anything* else at this point, you will have to pull the disk
    and go through all of that again to get to the right point again
    in the format program.

    Anyway -- when you select "0. Auto configure", it should think
    about it for a minute or two, and then say something like "I'm
    going to have to re-format to a sector size of 512 byte -- OK?".

    Give it the 'Y' to the "OK" and wait until it finishes (time is
    a function of the size, of course), and after that is done you
    can partition and label it as you need.

    This is all assuming that the RAID box you have connected allows
    you to access the drives directly. I happened to be using some
    Eurologic JBOD arrays for my FC-AL drives.)

    Good Luck,
    DoN.

    --
    Email: <> | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564

  3. Mario

    Mario Guest

    Thank for you replay.
    I found on Sun forum that turning 3310 from RAID to stupid JBOD is not
    possible.
    I'll tey to set it up as RAID 5 and use it. That's not so bad, but I
    wanted to play with SVM a little bit.

    Mario