strange behavior of Biostar motherboard

Discussion in 'Biostar' started by Kevin Royalty, Jul 12, 2004.

  1. Need some input to a wierd problem I'm having with an existing Biostar
    M7NCD Pro board. Here's the background:

    Working config for the past 14 months:
    It has an AMD Anthlon XP 2600+ CPU installed. It also has 2 512MB
    DDR333 SDRAM modules installed in dual channel mode. GeForce 3 AGP
    video card installed. A Samsung 40x CDRW drive (2nd IDE, Master), a 12x
    DVD-ROM (2nd IDE, Slave), a 100GB Maxtor ATA133 IDE drive (1st IDE,
    Master), onboard sound enabled, onboard lan enabled, all 6 USB2 ports
    enabled. serial enabled, parallel enabled. No floppy drive ever in
    this system. Enermax 400W PS. XP Pro as the OS, no issues.

    Current config:
    I recently purchased a new SB Audigy 2 ZS sound card, and a WD 200GB
    EIDE HD and wanted to start my XP fresh, so I powered down, unplugged,
    and installed the SB card in the 2nd PCI slot from the top, and swapped
    HD drives. Powered up, flashed the BIOS with the latest code from
    Biostar website (bios date 3/11/04), disabled the onboard audio and
    serial ports.

    Symptoms:
    - Unusually long POST times, even with quickboot enabled
    - If I install XP fresh, after I get it installed, if I reboot, the
    system doesn't see any OS on the drive and asks for a system disk on reboot.
    - To install XP, the system takes 5 minutes to even show the text mode
    install screen when I boot from the CD.

    I've tried disabling the DVD-ROM to see if it was an issue - no change
    to the symptoms.

    Suggestions would be nice. Thanks for reading.

    Kevin

    1. Advertising

  2. Pen

    Pen Guest

    Does the 100G drive do this or just the new one?
    If only the new get the diagnostics from WD and
    check it out.

    "Kevin Royalty" <> wrote in message
    > Need some input to a wierd problem I'm having with an existing Biostar
    > M7NCD Pro board. Here's the background:
    >
    > Working config for the past 14 months:
    > It has an AMD Anthlon XP 2600+ CPU installed. It also has 2 512MB
    > DDR333 SDRAM modules installed in dual channel mode. GeForce 3 AGP
    > video card installed. A Samsung 40x CDRW drive (2nd IDE, Master), a

    12x
    > DVD-ROM (2nd IDE, Slave), a 100GB Maxtor ATA133 IDE drive (1st IDE,
    > Master), onboard sound enabled, onboard lan enabled, all 6 USB2 ports
    > enabled. serial enabled, parallel enabled. No floppy drive ever in
    > this system. Enermax 400W PS. XP Pro as the OS, no issues.
    >
    > Current config:
    > I recently purchased a new SB Audigy 2 ZS sound card, and a WD 200GB
    > EIDE HD and wanted to start my XP fresh, so I powered down, unplugged,
    > and installed the SB card in the 2nd PCI slot from the top, and

    swapped
    > HD drives. Powered up, flashed the BIOS with the latest code from
    > Biostar website (bios date 3/11/04), disabled the onboard audio and
    > serial ports.
    >
    > Symptoms:
    > - Unusually long POST times, even with quickboot enabled
    > - If I install XP fresh, after I get it installed, if I reboot, the
    > system doesn't see any OS on the drive and asks for a system disk on

    reboot.
    > - To install XP, the system takes 5 minutes to even show the text mode
    > install screen when I boot from the CD.
    >
    > I've tried disabling the DVD-ROM to see if it was an issue - no change
    > to the symptoms.
    >
    > Suggestions would be nice. Thanks for reading.
    >
    > Kevin

    1. Advertising

  3. Guest

    Kevin Royalty writes:

    > Need some input to a wierd problem I'm having with an existing Biostar
    > M7NCD Pro board. Here's the background:
    >
    > Working config for the past 14 months:
    > It has an AMD Anthlon XP 2600+ CPU installed. It also has 2 512MB
    > DDR333 SDRAM modules installed in dual channel mode. GeForce 3 AGP
    > video card installed. A Samsung 40x CDRW drive (2nd IDE, Master), a 12x
    > DVD-ROM (2nd IDE, Slave), a 100GB Maxtor ATA133 IDE drive (1st IDE,
    > Master), onboard sound enabled, onboard lan enabled, all 6 USB2 ports
    > enabled. serial enabled, parallel enabled. No floppy drive ever in
    > this system. Enermax 400W PS. XP Pro as the OS, no issues.
    >
    > Current config:
    > I recently purchased a new SB Audigy 2 ZS sound card, and a WD 200GB
    > EIDE HD and wanted to start my XP fresh, so I powered down, unplugged,
    > and installed the SB card in the 2nd PCI slot from the top, and swapped
    > HD drives. Powered up, flashed the BIOS with the latest code from
    > Biostar website (bios date 3/11/04), disabled the onboard audio and
    > serial ports.
    >
    > Symptoms:
    > - Unusually long POST times, even with quickboot enabled
    > - If I install XP fresh, after I get it installed, if I reboot, the
    > system doesn't see any OS on the drive and asks for a system disk on reboot.
    > - To install XP, the system takes 5 minutes to even show the text mode
    > install screen when I boot from the CD.
    >
    > I've tried disabling the DVD-ROM to see if it was an issue - no change
    > to the symptoms.
    >
    > Suggestions would be nice. Thanks for reading.

    Does the BIOS specifically state that it overcomes the 137 GB barrier?
    Just seems like something worth checking out, given that you had no
    problem with the drive whose capacity is below that limit and you're
    now having problems with a drive whose capacity is above that limit.

  4. Just the new drive does this. The old one is fine.

  5. wrote:

    > Kevin Royalty writes:
    >

    >>Need some input to a wierd problem I'm having with an existing Biostar
    >>M7NCD Pro board. Here's the background:
    >>
    >>Working config for the past 14 months:
    >>It has an AMD Anthlon XP 2600+ CPU installed. It also has 2 512MB
    >>DDR333 SDRAM modules installed in dual channel mode. GeForce 3 AGP
    >>video card installed. A Samsung 40x CDRW drive (2nd IDE, Master), a 12x
    >>DVD-ROM (2nd IDE, Slave), a 100GB Maxtor ATA133 IDE drive (1st IDE,
    >>Master), onboard sound enabled, onboard lan enabled, all 6 USB2 ports
    >>enabled. serial enabled, parallel enabled. No floppy drive ever in
    >>this system. Enermax 400W PS. XP Pro as the OS, no issues.
    >>
    >>Current config:
    >>I recently purchased a new SB Audigy 2 ZS sound card, and a WD 200GB
    >>EIDE HD and wanted to start my XP fresh, so I powered down, unplugged,
    >>and installed the SB card in the 2nd PCI slot from the top, and swapped
    >>HD drives. Powered up, flashed the BIOS with the latest code from
    >>Biostar website (bios date 3/11/04), disabled the onboard audio and
    >>serial ports.
    >>
    >>Symptoms:
    >>- Unusually long POST times, even with quickboot enabled
    >>- If I install XP fresh, after I get it installed, if I reboot, the
    >>system doesn't see any OS on the drive and asks for a system disk on reboot.
    >>- To install XP, the system takes 5 minutes to even show the text mode
    >>install screen when I boot from the CD.
    >>
    >>I've tried disabling the DVD-ROM to see if it was an issue - no change
    >>to the symptoms.
    >>
    >>Suggestions would be nice. Thanks for reading.

    > Does the BIOS specifically state that it overcomes the 137 GB barrier?
    > Just seems like something worth checking out, given that you had no
    > problem with the drive whose capacity is below that limit and you're
    > now having problems with a drive whose capacity is above that limit.

    Hard to say - the Biostar website doesn't have a readme for the latest
    BIOS that I downloaded. I am suprised that no docs for the changes are
    available.

  6. Pen

    Pen Guest

    Then go here and get the DLG Diagnostic
    to check it out. The symptoms are of a bad drive.
    http://support.wdc.com/download/index.asp

    > Just the new drive does this. The old one is fine.
    >

    > Pen wrote:
    > > Does the 100G drive do this or just the new one?
    > > If only the new get the diagnostics from WD and
    > > check it out.
    > >
    > > "Kevin Royalty" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > >>Need some input to a wierd problem I'm having with an existing

    Biostar
    > >>M7NCD Pro board. Here's the background:
    > >>
    > >>Working config for the past 14 months:
    > >>It has an AMD Anthlon XP 2600+ CPU installed. It also has 2 512MB
    > >>DDR333 SDRAM modules installed in dual channel mode. GeForce 3 AGP
    > >>video card installed. A Samsung 40x CDRW drive (2nd IDE, Master), a

    > > 12x
    > >
    > >>DVD-ROM (2nd IDE, Slave), a 100GB Maxtor ATA133 IDE drive (1st IDE,
    > >>Master), onboard sound enabled, onboard lan enabled, all 6 USB2

    ports
    > >>enabled. serial enabled, parallel enabled. No floppy drive ever in
    > >>this system. Enermax 400W PS. XP Pro as the OS, no issues.
    > >>
    > >>Current config:
    > >>I recently purchased a new SB Audigy 2 ZS sound card, and a WD 200GB
    > >>EIDE HD and wanted to start my XP fresh, so I powered down,

    unplugged,
    > >>and installed the SB card in the 2nd PCI slot from the top, and

    > > swapped
    > >
    > >>HD drives. Powered up, flashed the BIOS with the latest code from
    > >>Biostar website (bios date 3/11/04), disabled the onboard audio and
    > >>serial ports.
    > >>
    > >>Symptoms:
    > >>- Unusually long POST times, even with quickboot enabled
    > >>- If I install XP fresh, after I get it installed, if I reboot, the
    > >>system doesn't see any OS on the drive and asks for a system disk on

    > > reboot.
    > >
    > >>- To install XP, the system takes 5 minutes to even show the text

    mode
    > >>install screen when I boot from the CD.
    > >>
    > >>I've tried disabling the DVD-ROM to see if it was an issue - no

    change
    > >>to the symptoms.
    > >>
    > >>Suggestions would be nice. Thanks for reading.
    > >>
    > >>Kevin

  7. A post on Tom's Hardware told me to remove the HD master/slave jumper
    completely and try to boot up. The very slow boot up issue went away,
    and now I'm going through the XP install now. Will post the final
    resolution soon (fingers crossed!)

    kevin