Strange monitor problem

Discussion in 'Apple' started by Salmon Egg, Apr 16, 2012.

  1. Salmon Egg

    Salmon Egg Guest

    I have a strange problem with a Samsun P2770 monitor and my Mac Pro.

    1. What would be a better forum than this NG on the subject?

    2. Because of poor vision for which glare is a problem, I have taken to
    using inverse video. The Mac system provides an easy way to toggle
    between regular and inverse video. That has been a very helpful feature.

    The problem is that when I have a large black window with only a little
    bit of white to it, what text there is is converted to be of extremely
    low contrast, and becomes impossible to read. If there are gaps between
    the window and the monitor edges, the text becomes readable.

    One way this behavior can be made evident is to use Microsoft Word or
    Excel to make a large black window using the Control-Option-Command-8
    key combination from Universal Access. If there is a lot of text in the
    window there is no problem. If you start typing in an empty window, the
    text becomes more visible as you type.

    You can see a small amount of text in a window change in brightness as
    you toggle between a window significantly smaller than the screen to
    where it is magnified to overfill the screen.

    3. Is this phenomenon present in other monitors?

    4. My inquiries of Samsung indicate that whoever reads inquiries has no
    clue as to what is happening.

    5. The problem reminds me of a similar one in early analog TV sets. They
    used capacitive coupling between stages driving resistive loads on each
    side of the coupling capacitor. Because the capacitor cannot transfer dc
    levels, the brightness of the picture could vary depending upon the
    composition of the picture. RCA (their patents controlled almost all
    television at the time) got around the problem with a dc restorer
    circuit.

    6. I am certainly not up-to-date on modern digital monitors. Could it be
    that Samsung uses analog ac coupling rather than digital circuitry to
    move picture elements around?

    Bill

    --

    Sam

    Liberals are for Darwinism but totally against any selection.
    Salmon Egg, Apr 16, 2012

  2. In article <>, Salmon Egg <> writes:
    >I have a strange problem with a Samsun P2770 monitor and my Mac Pro.
    >
    >1. What would be a better forum than this NG on the subject?
    >
    >2. Because of poor vision for which glare is a problem, I have taken to
    >using inverse video. The Mac system provides an easy way to toggle
    >between regular and inverse video. That has been a very helpful feature.
    >
    >The problem is that when I have a large black window with only a little
    >bit of white to it, what text there is is converted to be of extremely
    >low contrast, and becomes impossible to read. If there are gaps between
    >the window and the monitor edges, the text becomes readable.
    >
    >One way this behavior can be made evident is to use Microsoft Word or
    >Excel to make a large black window using the Control-Option-Command-8
    >key combination from Universal Access. If there is a lot of text in the
    >window there is no problem. If you start typing in an empty window, the
    >text becomes more visible as you type.
    >
    >You can see a small amount of text in a window change in brightness as
    >you toggle between a window significantly smaller than the screen to
    >where it is magnified to overfill the screen.
    >
    >3. Is this phenomenon present in other monitors?

    I tried to reproduce your problem, but on my Eizo FlexScanL685EX and a MacPro
    2 x 2.8 GHZ everything looks all right.

    Regards,
    Christoph Gartmann

    --
    Max-Planck-Institut fuer Phone : +49-761-5108-464 Fax: -80464
    Immunbiologie und Epigenetik
    Christoph Gartmann, Apr 16, 2012

  3. Salmon Egg

    Salmon Egg Guest

    In article <jmgsik$raa$>,
    (Christoph Gartmann) wrote:

    > I tried to reproduce your problem, but on my Eizo FlexScanL685EX and a MacPro
    > 2 x 2.8 GHZ everything looks all right.

    I have a suspicion that the problem may be unique to Samsung monitors
    and possibly just to the P2770 model. A friend tried it with another
    brand monitor and a Windows machine with the same results as yours. The
    P2770 has a fairly large screen. For large analog displays, the need for
    dc restoration becomes greater.

    The Samsung responder suggested the fault may be with the computer. That
    is why it is good to have your confirmation that you do not have a
    problem. His suggested sounded far-fetched, and you made it seem even
    more so.

    But explanation is also far-fetched. to have a digital monitor depend
    upon analog techniques (ac coupling) is strange. Stranger things have
    been designed in the past.

    Life is full of trick problems!

    Bill

    Salmon Egg, Apr 16, 2012
  4. In article <>,
    Salmon Egg <> wrote:

    > I have a strange problem with a Samsun P2770 monitor and my Mac Pro.
    >
    > 1. What would be a better forum than this NG on the subject?
    >
    > 2. Because of poor vision for which glare is a problem, I have taken to
    > using inverse video. The Mac system provides an easy way to toggle
    > between regular and inverse video. That has been a very helpful feature.
    >
    > The problem is that when I have a large black window with only a little
    > bit of white to it, what text there is is converted to be of extremely
    > low contrast, and becomes impossible to read. If there are gaps between
    > the window and the monitor edges, the text becomes readable.
    >
    > One way this behavior can be made evident is to use Microsoft Word or
    > Excel to make a large black window using the Control-Option-Command-8
    > key combination from Universal Access. If there is a lot of text in the
    > window there is no problem. If you start typing in an empty window, the
    > text becomes more visible as you type.
    >
    > You can see a small amount of text in a window change in brightness as
    > you toggle between a window significantly smaller than the screen to
    > where it is magnified to overfill the screen.
    >
    > 3. Is this phenomenon present in other monitors?
    >
    > 4. My inquiries of Samsung indicate that whoever reads inquiries has no
    > clue as to what is happening.
    >
    > 5. The problem reminds me of a similar one in early analog TV sets. They
    > used capacitive coupling between stages driving resistive loads on each
    > side of the coupling capacitor. Because the capacitor cannot transfer dc
    > levels, the brightness of the picture could vary depending upon the
    > composition of the picture. RCA (their patents controlled almost all
    > television at the time) got around the problem with a dc restorer
    > circuit.
    >
    > 6. I am certainly not up-to-date on modern digital monitors. Could it be
    > that Samsung uses analog ac coupling rather than digital circuitry to
    > move picture elements around?
    >
    > Bill

    My experience with Samsung is that they assemble a product with all the
    best parts but don't bother to make it work correctly. It's probably
    working as designed.
    Kevin McMurtrie, Apr 17, 2012
  5. Salmon Egg wrote:
    > I have a strange problem with a Samsun P2770 monitor and my Mac Pro.
    >
    > 1. What would be a better forum than this NG on the subject?
    >
    > 2. Because of poor vision for which glare is a problem, I have taken to
    > using inverse video. The Mac system provides an easy way to toggle
    > between regular and inverse video. That has been a very helpful feature.
    >
    > The problem is that when I have a large black window with only a little
    > bit of white to it, what text there is is converted to be of extremely
    > low contrast, and becomes impossible to read. If there are gaps between
    > the window and the monitor edges, the text becomes readable.
    >
    > One way this behavior can be made evident is to use Microsoft Word or
    > Excel to make a large black window using the Control-Option-Command-8
    > key combination from Universal Access. If there is a lot of text in the
    > window there is no problem. If you start typing in an empty window, the
    > text becomes more visible as you type.
    >
    > You can see a small amount of text in a window change in brightness as
    > you toggle between a window significantly smaller than the screen to
    > where it is magnified to overfill the screen.
    >
    > 3. Is this phenomenon present in other monitors?
    >
    > 4. My inquiries of Samsung indicate that whoever reads inquiries has no
    > clue as to what is happening.
    >
    > 5. The problem reminds me of a similar one in early analog TV sets. They
    > used capacitive coupling between stages driving resistive loads on each
    > side of the coupling capacitor. Because the capacitor cannot transfer dc
    > levels, the brightness of the picture could vary depending upon the
    > composition of the picture. RCA (their patents controlled almost all
    > television at the time) got around the problem with a dc restorer
    > circuit.
    >
    > 6. I am certainly not up-to-date on modern digital monitors. Could it be
    > that Samsung uses analog ac coupling rather than digital circuitry to
    > move picture elements around?

    I'm using my monitor in exact same way like you - also because I have
    very little sight left... - Always running in reverse mode and only
    switching to normal, if I'm going to look at or edit some pictures...

    You can change the contrast in the Systempreferences -> Universal Access
    - the pane 'Vision' (maybe 'sight', I'm using non-English as std.)...

    At the buttom there is a slider to adjust the contrast level. If you
    move the slider apprx. 1 cm towards right with the monitor set in
    'Reverse Mode', the contrast will increase, but also darken the view a
    bit. - If you then switch back to 'Normal mode', you will see that the
    contrast has lowered a bit. This means that the contrast settings do
    follow the viewing mode when moving the slider - increasing contrast in
    'Reverse Mode' and lowering contrast in 'Normal View'.

    If you need it, you can also adjust the size of the arrow in Universal
    Access -> Keyboard. Here is a slider for enlarging the arrow. For myself
    I've increased arrow size apprx. 10-12%....

    You don't mention it, but I presume that you're using Times new Roman as
    default font in MSWord? TNR is a font with very thin up and down
    strikes, which will give some odd viewing on most monitors.

    You can try to switch to another serif font like 'New York' or
    'Georgia', but I'm afraid you will get the same result. Instead I'll
    recommend you to switch to a good sans-serif font like 'Arial' as
    default font. Arial has equal up- and down strikes, so it will always
    give most sharp and visibility.

    Another hint making text and fonts more visible is to change the
    screencolor of the font from 'black' to 'very dark blue', which in
    'Reverse Mode' will give a clear light yellow on black background. -
    This is the setting I use most when writing standard body text without
    any other formatting.

    OK, when all this is said, the Samsung monitors aren't the best for
    visual impaired. Though they claim so they arenot anti-glare - unless
    you're sitting completely looking at the center of the monitor, when
    writing.

    Until lately I've had a 28" ViewSonic which was 100% anti-glare. - The
    sun could be shining directly on the monitor surface and I was still
    able to read what I was writing! Sadly it died, and it wasn't affordable
    to repair it, so I had to buy a new monitor. At first I bought a HP
    ZR30W, but that high professional monitor will not work with a NVidia
    GForce 7300GT/256 Dual-DVI and my MacPro. It worked for apprx. two hours
    and then died. The on-site HP technician spent nearly two hours fixing
    it, but then gave up.:-(

    The store of course took it back and instead I bought a new 27" Philips
    273P professional pivot monitor. This one is working great with the
    GForce 7300GT graphics card, and it is screamingly fast with it's 2ms
    response time.

    If you want to, I can make a table with the most visible and best usable
    fonts for vision impaired and send it to you off-list. Just send me a
    not to <> and I'll return it with a PDF
    file with comparisons of fonts.

    Cheers, Erik Richard

    Erik Richard Sørensen, Member of ADC, <>
    NisusWriter - The Future In Multilingual Text Processing - www.nisus.com
    OpenOffice.org - The Modern Productivity Solution - www.openoffice.org
    Erik Richard Sørensen, Apr 19, 2012