Strange Screen Saver problem. Can anyone help?

Discussion in 'Apple' started by Mike Lane, Jun 3, 2009.

  1. Mike Lane

    Mike Lane Guest

    I encountered an odd problem when I upgraded to 10.5.7 recently.

    I have 2 displays connected to my Mac Pro and usually have the Screen Saver
    set to an iPhoto (08) album so that the pictures in the album are displayed
    in turn on the two screens with a nice Ken Burns effect.

    After upgrading to 10.5.7 the pictures would only display on one of the
    screens, the second screen showing "Looking for pictures...". The system log
    just reports "Screen saver engine cannot find media" or something like that.
    This only happens when the Screen Saver is set to an iPhoto album. If it is
    set to an ordinary finder folder it will display the pictures as normal.

    I've reverted to 10.5.6 now but I'm a bit concerned that this is a bug that
    Apple are not aware of since it's not something that would routinely show up
    at all. Could anyone tell me if the same thing happens with iPhoto 09? If not
    I could just upgrade iPhoto and have done with it

    At the very least I would like to know to whom or how I should report it to
    Apple so that some notice might be taken. (The help section "Reporting
    problems to Apple" seems to imply that you should fill in a 'Crash Report'
    when an Application crashes, which hasn't happened of course)

    --
    Mike Lane
    UK North Yorkshire
    Mike Lane, Jun 3, 2009

  2. Mike Lane

    Mike Lane Guest

    Mike Lane wrote on Jun 3, 2009:

    > I encountered an odd problem when I upgraded to 10.5.7 recently.
    >
    > I have 2 displays connected to my Mac Pro and usually have the Screen Saver
    > set to an iPhoto (08) album so that the pictures in the album are displayed
    > in turn on the two screens with a nice Ken Burns effect.
    >
    > After upgrading to 10.5.7 the pictures would only display on one of the
    > screens, the second screen showing "Looking for pictures...". The system log
    > just reports "Screen saver engine cannot find media" or something like that.
    > This only happens when the Screen Saver is set to an iPhoto album. If it is
    > set to an ordinary finder folder it will display the pictures as normal.
    >
    > I've reverted to 10.5.6 now but I'm a bit concerned that this is a bug that
    > Apple are not aware of since it's not something that would routinely show up
    > at all. Could anyone tell me if the same thing happens with iPhoto 09? If not

    > I could just upgrade iPhoto and have done with it
    >
    > At the very least I would like to know to whom or how I should report it to
    > Apple so that some notice might be taken. (The help section "Reporting
    > problems to Apple" seems to imply that you should fill in a 'Crash Report'
    > when an Application crashes, which hasn't happened of course)

    I take it that's a 'no' then :-(

    Could someone at least let me know what is an effective way of letting Apple
    know about this about this problem? I somehow doubt that a simple email would
    even be read, let alone acted upon. Please?

    --
    Mike Lane
    UK North Yorkshire
    Mike Lane, Jun 7, 2009

  3. In article <>,
    Mike Lane <> wrote:

    > Mike Lane wrote on Jun 3, 2009:
    >
    > > I encountered an odd problem when I upgraded to 10.5.7 recently.
    > >
    > > I have 2 displays connected to my Mac Pro and usually have the Screen Saver
    > > set to an iPhoto (08) album so that the pictures in the album are displayed
    > > in turn on the two screens with a nice Ken Burns effect.
    > >
    > > After upgrading to 10.5.7 the pictures would only display on one of the
    > > screens, the second screen showing "Looking for pictures...". The system
    > > log
    > > just reports "Screen saver engine cannot find media" or something like
    > > that.
    > > This only happens when the Screen Saver is set to an iPhoto album. If it is
    > > set to an ordinary finder folder it will display the pictures as normal.
    > >
    > > I've reverted to 10.5.6 now but I'm a bit concerned that this is a bug that
    > > Apple are not aware of since it's not something that would routinely show
    > > up
    > > at all. Could anyone tell me if the same thing happens with iPhoto 09? If
    > > not

    > > I could just upgrade iPhoto and have done with it
    > >
    > > At the very least I would like to know to whom or how I should report it to
    > > Apple so that some notice might be taken. (The help section "Reporting
    > > problems to Apple" seems to imply that you should fill in a 'Crash Report'
    > > when an Application crashes, which hasn't happened of course)

    > I take it that's a 'no' then :-(
    >
    > Could someone at least let me know what is an effective way of letting Apple
    > know about this about this problem? I somehow doubt that a simple email would
    > even be read, let alone acted upon. Please?

    Your doubt is unfounded. Apple doesn't have people skimming Usenet and
    web forums, but they do take direct correspondence seriously.

    <http://www.apple.com/feedback/macosx.html>

    I *might* have access to a dual-screen setup with iLife '08 on it; I'll
    see if I can reproduce it. It would help if you can give precise
    messages and behavior rather than saying "or something like that." It
    might also be interesting to look at the log files visible from
    /Applications/Utilities/Console.app to see if any useful info is there.

    --
    I saw a truck today that had "AAA Batteries / Delivered and Installed" on the
    side. My first thought was: That's a really weird business model. How many
    Gregory Weston, Jun 9, 2009
  4. Mike Lane

    David Empson Guest

    Mike Lane <> wrote:

    > Mike Lane wrote on Jun 3, 2009:
    >
    > > I encountered an odd problem when I upgraded to 10.5.7 recently.
    > >
    > > I have 2 displays connected to my Mac Pro and usually have the Screen Saver
    > > set to an iPhoto (08) album so that the pictures in the album are displayed
    > > in turn on the two screens with a nice Ken Burns effect.
    > >
    > > After upgrading to 10.5.7 the pictures would only display on one of the
    > > screens, the second screen showing "Looking for pictures...". The system log
    > > just reports "Screen saver engine cannot find media" or something like that.
    > > This only happens when the Screen Saver is set to an iPhoto album. If it is
    > > set to an ordinary finder folder it will display the pictures as normal.
    > >
    > > I've reverted to 10.5.6 now but I'm a bit concerned that this is a bug
    > > that Apple are not aware of since it's not something that would
    > > routinely show up at all. Could anyone tell me if the same thing happens
    > > with iPhoto 09? If not

    > > I could just upgrade iPhoto and have done with it
    > >
    > > At the very least I would like to know to whom or how I should report it to
    > > Apple so that some notice might be taken. (The help section "Reporting
    > > problems to Apple" seems to imply that you should fill in a 'Crash Report'
    > > when an Application crashes, which hasn't happened of course)

    > I take it that's a 'no' then :-(

    For what its worth, screen saver from an iPhoto '09 album or event in
    10.5.7 on multiple displays seems to work fine on my MacBook Pro.

    This suggests the problem may be limited to the combination of 10.5.7
    and iPhoto '08.

    I don't have iLife '08 installed any more on any machines running
    Leopard so I can't test your combination.

    Have you installed the latest iLife Support update? Even though it
    claims to be for iLife '09, it may be useful to the '08 version. I've
    seen it offered by Software Update on computers which don't have iLife
    '09 installed.

    > Could someone at least let me know what is an effective way of letting Apple
    > know about this about this problem? I somehow doubt that a simple email would
    > even be read, let alone acted upon. Please?

    If you register as a developer (free for online membership of the
    developer programme), you can access Apple's Bug Reporter. This is quite
    handy because you will eventually get some response from Apple about the
    problem, even if it is just "duplicate of a known issue".

    http://developer.apple.com
    http://bugreport.apple.com

    --
    David Empson
    David Empson, Jun 9, 2009
  5. In article <1j11iiq.xerubm198c0xxN%>,
    (David Empson) wrote:

    > Mike Lane <> wrote:
    >
    > > Mike Lane wrote on Jun 3, 2009:
    > >
    > > > I encountered an odd problem when I upgraded to 10.5.7 recently.
    > > >
    > > > I have 2 displays connected to my Mac Pro and usually have the Screen
    > > > Saver
    > > > set to an iPhoto (08) album so that the pictures in the album are
    > > > displayed
    > > > in turn on the two screens with a nice Ken Burns effect.
    > > >
    > > > After upgrading to 10.5.7 the pictures would only display on one of the
    > > > screens, the second screen showing "Looking for pictures...". The system
    > > > log
    > > > just reports "Screen saver engine cannot find media" or something like
    > > > that.
    > > > This only happens when the Screen Saver is set to an iPhoto album. If it
    > > > is
    > > > set to an ordinary finder folder it will display the pictures as normal.
    > > >
    > > > I've reverted to 10.5.6 now but I'm a bit concerned that this is a bug
    > > > that Apple are not aware of since it's not something that would
    > > > routinely show up at all. Could anyone tell me if the same thing happens
    > > > with iPhoto 09? If not

    > > > I could just upgrade iPhoto and have done with it
    > > >
    > > > At the very least I would like to know to whom or how I should report it
    > > > Apple so that some notice might be taken. (The help section "Reporting
    > > > problems to Apple" seems to imply that you should fill in a 'Crash
    > > > Report'
    > > > when an Application crashes, which hasn't happened of course)

    > > I take it that's a 'no' then :-(

    > For what its worth, screen saver from an iPhoto '09 album or event in
    > 10.5.7 on multiple displays seems to work fine on my MacBook Pro.
    >
    > This suggests the problem may be limited to the combination of 10.5.7
    > and iPhoto '08.

    More limited than that. I did just get a chance to try it. This is a 15"
    MBP running 10.5.7 and iPhoto 7.1.5 (which is the latest update to the
    iPhoto that came with iLife '08). The second screen is one of Apple's
    widescreen LCDs. It worked fine. Both screens briefly displayed the
    "Looking" message and then each began showing different random images
    from iPhoto with the slow zoom.

    Gregory Weston, Jun 9, 2009
  6. Mike Lane

    Mike Lane Guest

    Gregory Weston wrote on Jun 9, 2009:

    > In article <1j11iiq.xerubm198c0xxN%>,
    > (David Empson) wrote:
    >
    >> Mike Lane <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Mike Lane wrote on Jun 3, 2009:

    [OP snipped]

    >> For what its worth, screen saver from an iPhoto '09 album or event in
    >> 10.5.7 on multiple displays seems to work fine on my MacBook Pro.
    >>
    >> This suggests the problem may be limited to the combination of 10.5.7
    >> and iPhoto '08.

    > More limited than that. I did just get a chance to try it. This is a 15"
    > MBP running 10.5.7 and iPhoto 7.1.5 (which is the latest update to the
    > iPhoto that came with iLife '08). The second screen is one of Apple's
    > widescreen LCDs. It worked fine. Both screens briefly displayed the
    > "Looking" message and then each began showing different random images
    > from iPhoto with the slow zoom.

    Thanks Gregory, David for both these pieces of information.

    However... There's a further complication that I didn't realize when I made
    the OP: if I check the Screen Saver by clicking on the "Test" button,
    everything works as it should i.e. the iPhoto pictures are correctly
    displayed on both screens. (I suspect that most people would check using this
    first). The problem only shows when the Screen Saver comes on automatically
    with a timeout - or more conveniently if I start it using a "Hot Corner" as
    set with the button on the Screen Saver preferences page.

    I'd be most grateful if you could check if that is the case with your setup.

    Just to recap the problem: with OS 10.5.7 and iPhoto 7.1.5, I only get the
    Screen Saver displaying on one screen. (This only occurs when the SS times
    out, not when using the 'Test' button)

    --
    Mike Lane
    UK North Yorkshire
    Mike Lane, Jun 9, 2009
  7. Mike Lane

    David Empson Guest

    Mike Lane <> wrote:

    > Gregory Weston wrote on Jun 9, 2009:
    >
    > > In article <1j11iiq.xerubm198c0xxN%>,
    > > (David Empson) wrote:

    > [OP snipped]
    > >>
    > >> For what its worth, screen saver from an iPhoto '09 album or event in
    > >> 10.5.7 on multiple displays seems to work fine on my MacBook Pro.
    > >>
    > >> This suggests the problem may be limited to the combination of 10.5.7
    > >> and iPhoto '08.

    > > More limited than that. I did just get a chance to try it. This is a 15"
    > > MBP running 10.5.7 and iPhoto 7.1.5 (which is the latest update to the
    > > iPhoto that came with iLife '08). The second screen is one of Apple's
    > > widescreen LCDs. It worked fine. Both screens briefly displayed the
    > > "Looking" message and then each began showing different random images
    > > from iPhoto with the slow zoom.

    > Thanks Gregory, David for both these pieces of information.
    >
    > However... There's a further complication that I didn't realize when I made
    > the OP: if I check the Screen Saver by clicking on the "Test" button,
    > everything works as it should i.e. the iPhoto pictures are correctly
    > displayed on both screens. (I suspect that most people would check using this
    > first). The problem only shows when the Screen Saver comes on automatically
    > with a timeout - or more conveniently if I start it using a "Hot Corner" as
    > set with the button on the Screen Saver preferences page.
    >
    > I'd be most grateful if you could check if that is the case with your setup.

    I tested mine with a hot corner, not using the Test button. It behaved
    correctly (independent photos on both displays, with Ken Burns effect).
    I'll try again with a short timeout while getting a cup of tea...

    Yep, that worked fine too.

    > Just to recap the problem: with OS 10.5.7 and iPhoto 7.1.5, I only get the
    > Screen Saver displaying on one screen. (This only occurs when the SS times
    > out, not when using the 'Test' button)

    iPhoto 8.0.3 here.

    --
    David Empson
    David Empson, Jun 9, 2009
  8. Mike Lane

    Mike Lane Guest

    Gregory Weston wrote on Jun 9, 2009:

    > In article <>,
    > Mike Lane <> wrote:
    >
    >> Mike Lane wrote on Jun 3, 2009:
    >>
    >>> I encountered an odd problem when I upgraded to 10.5.7 recently.
    >>>
    >>> I have 2 displays connected to my Mac Pro and usually have the Screen
    >>> Saver
    >>> set to an iPhoto (08) album so that the pictures in the album are
    >>> displayed
    >>> in turn on the two screens with a nice Ken Burns effect.
    >>>
    >>> After upgrading to 10.5.7 the pictures would only display on one of the
    >>> screens, the second screen showing "Looking for pictures...". The system
    >>> log
    >>> just reports "Screen saver engine cannot find media" or something like
    >>> that.
    >>> This only happens when the Screen Saver is set to an iPhoto album. If it
    >>> is
    >>> set to an ordinary finder folder it will display the pictures as normal.
    >>>
    >>> I've reverted to 10.5.6 now but I'm a bit concerned that this is a bug
    >>> that
    >>> Apple are not aware of since it's not something that would routinely show
    >>> up
    >>> at all. Could anyone tell me if the same thing happens with iPhoto 09? If
    >>> not

    >>> I could just upgrade iPhoto and have done with it
    >>>
    >>> At the very least I would like to know to whom or how I should report it
    >>> Apple so that some notice might be taken. (The help section "Reporting
    >>> problems to Apple" seems to imply that you should fill in a 'Crash Report'
    >>> when an Application crashes, which hasn't happened of course)

    >> I take it that's a 'no' then :-(
    >>
    >> Could someone at least let me know what is an effective way of letting
    >> Apple
    >> know about this about this problem? I somehow doubt that a simple email
    >> would
    >> even be read, let alone acted upon. Please?

    > Your doubt is unfounded. Apple doesn't have people skimming Usenet and
    > web forums, but they do take direct correspondence seriously.
    >
    > <http://www.apple.com/feedback/macosx.html>

    Thanks for this (Now why couldn't I find that page?)

    > I *might* have access to a dual-screen setup with iLife '08 on it; I'll
    > see if I can reproduce it. It would help if you can give precise
    > messages and behavior rather than saying "or something like that."

    OK point taken, (it's just a bit tedious swapping between OS versions while
    posting to usenet). The exact message is:

    9-6-2009 11:36:56 ScreenSaverEngine[165] Couldn't find media group xxxx

    (xxxx being the name of the iPhoto Album selected in Screen Saver preferences
    > It might also be interesting to look at the log files visible from
    > /Applications/Utilities/Console.app to see if any useful info is there.

    Yes, that's where I found the above message. I can't find anything else that
    seems at all relevant to the Screen Saver or to iPhoto

    --
    Mike Lane
    UK North Yorkshire
    Mike Lane, Jun 9, 2009
  9. Mike Lane

    Mike Lane Guest

    David Empson wrote on Jun 9, 2009:

    > iPhoto 8.0.3 here.

    Is this the version that comes with iLife '09?

    --
    Mike Lane
    UK North Yorkshire
    Mike Lane, Jun 9, 2009
  10. In article <>,
    Mike Lane <> wrote:

    > Gregory Weston wrote on Jun 9, 2009:
    >
    > > In article <1j11iiq.xerubm198c0xxN%>,
    > > (David Empson) wrote:

    > [OP snipped]
    > >>
    > >> For what its worth, screen saver from an iPhoto '09 album or event in
    > >> 10.5.7 on multiple displays seems to work fine on my MacBook Pro.
    > >>
    > >> This suggests the problem may be limited to the combination of 10.5.7
    > >> and iPhoto '08.

    > > More limited than that. I did just get a chance to try it. This is a 15"
    > > MBP running 10.5.7 and iPhoto 7.1.5 (which is the latest update to the
    > > iPhoto that came with iLife '08). The second screen is one of Apple's
    > > widescreen LCDs. It worked fine. Both screens briefly displayed the
    > > "Looking" message and then each began showing different random images
    > > from iPhoto with the slow zoom.

    > Thanks Gregory, David for both these pieces of information.
    >
    > However... There's a further complication that I didn't realize when I made
    > the OP: if I check the Screen Saver by clicking on the "Test" button,
    > everything works as it should i.e. the iPhoto pictures are correctly
    > displayed on both screens. (I suspect that most people would check using this
    > first). The problem only shows when the Screen Saver comes on automatically
    > with a timeout - or more conveniently if I start it using a "Hot Corner" as
    > set with the button on the Screen Saver preferences page.
    >
    > I'd be most grateful if you could check if that is the case with your setup.

    Will-do. Out of curiosity, does hot-corner activation show the problem
    too, or is it *really* just time-based?

    Gregory Weston, Jun 9, 2009
  11. Mike Lane

    David Empson Guest

    Mike Lane <> wrote:

    > David Empson wrote on Jun 9, 2009:
    >
    > > iPhoto 8.0.3 here.

    > Is this the version that comes with iLife '09?

    Yes, after installing the latest round of updates.

    Apple just kept incrementing the major version numbers, so we have
    "iPhoto '08" which is version 7.x and "iPhoto '09" which is version 8.x.

    --
    David Empson
    David Empson, Jun 9, 2009
  12. Mike Lane

    Mike Lane Guest

    Gregory Weston wrote on Jun 9, 2009:

    >> I'd be most grateful if you could check if that is the case with your setup.

    > Will-do. Out of curiosity, does hot-corner activation show the problem
    > too, or is it *really* just time-based?

    Yes, as I said, the hot-corner activation *does* show the problem. It's just
    the "Test" button which doesn't show it.

    --
    Mike Lane
    UK North Yorkshire
    Mike Lane, Jun 9, 2009
  13. Mike Lane

    John Varela Guest

    On Tue, 9 Jun 2009 00:08:53 UTC, (David
    Empson) wrote:

    > For what its worth, screen saver from an iPhoto '09 album or event in
    > 10.5.7 on multiple displays seems to work fine on my MacBook Pro.
    >
    > This suggests the problem may be limited to the combination of 10.5.7
    > and iPhoto '08.

    I have the same problem as the OP, running iLife 6 and 10.5.6, the
    problem having appeared with 10.5.6. I was hoping the next OS X
    release would correct it but evidently not.

    --
    John Varela
    Trade NEWlamps for OLDlamps for email
    John Varela, Jun 9, 2009
  14. Mike Lane

    John Varela Guest

    On Tue, 9 Jun 2009 19:26:26 UTC, "John Varela"
    <> wrote:

    > On Tue, 9 Jun 2009 00:08:53 UTC, (David
    > Empson) wrote:
    >
    > > For what its worth, screen saver from an iPhoto '09 album or event in
    > > 10.5.7 on multiple displays seems to work fine on my MacBook Pro.
    > >
    > > This suggests the problem may be limited to the combination of 10.5.7
    > > and iPhoto '08.

    > I have the same problem as the OP, running iLife 6 and 10.5.6, the
    > problem having appeared with 10.5.6. I was hoping the next OS X
    > release would correct it but evidently not.

    Error: "iLife 6" above should be "iPhoto 6". 6.0.6, to be precise.

    I should add that, in System Preferences => Desktop & Screen Saver
    => Screen Saver => Test, the test displays photos on both screens.
    But in practice the screen saver on the second screen never finds
    the photos.

    I reported this to Apple months ago.

    John Varela, Jun 9, 2009
  15. Mike Lane

    Mike Lane Guest

    John Varela wrote on Jun 9, 2009:

    > On Tue, 9 Jun 2009 00:08:53 UTC, (David
    > Empson) wrote:
    >
    >> For what its worth, screen saver from an iPhoto '09 album or event in
    >> 10.5.7 on multiple displays seems to work fine on my MacBook Pro.
    >>
    >> This suggests the problem may be limited to the combination of 10.5.7
    >> and iPhoto '08.

    > I have the same problem as the OP, running iLife 6 and 10.5.6, the
    > problem having appeared with 10.5.6. I was hoping the next OS X
    > release would correct it but evidently not.

    That makes it a bit more complicated. I thought it was a case of one version
    of iPhoto not working with one version of OS X, but apparently not.

    So you are getting the problem with iPHoto V6 and OS 10.5.6, and yet 10.5.6
    is OK with iPhoto V7, but 10.5.7 is not. Have you tried 10.5.7 with iPhoto 6?
    I am still not sure if iPhoto V7 works properly with 10.5.7

    --
    Mike Lane
    UK North Yorkshire
    Mike Lane, Jun 10, 2009
  16. Mike Lane

    John Varela Guest

    On Wed, 10 Jun 2009 08:34:39 UTC, Mike Lane <> wrote:

    > John Varela wrote on Jun 9, 2009:
    >
    > > On Tue, 9 Jun 2009 00:08:53 UTC, (David
    > > Empson) wrote:
    > >
    > >> For what its worth, screen saver from an iPhoto '09 album or event in
    > >> 10.5.7 on multiple displays seems to work fine on my MacBook Pro.
    > >>
    > >> This suggests the problem may be limited to the combination of 10.5.7
    > >> and iPhoto '08.

    > > I have the same problem as the OP, running iLife 6 and 10.5.6, the
    > > problem having appeared with 10.5.6. I was hoping the next OS X
    > > release would correct it but evidently not.

    > That makes it a bit more complicated. I thought it was a case of one version
    > of iPhoto not working with one version of OS X, but apparently not.
    >
    > So you are getting the problem with iPHoto V6 and OS 10.5.6, and yet 10.5.6
    > is OK with iPhoto V7, but 10.5.7 is not. Have you tried 10.5.7 with iPhoto 6?
    > I am still not sure if iPhoto V7 works properly with 10.5.7

    I haven't updated to 10.5.7 yet; been using the computer a lot and
    didn't want to take the time to make backups and do the update.
    I'll get to it soon, maybe even this evening if the approaching
    thunderstorm doesn't knock out the power. I'm not optimistic about
    the screen saver, but will report back.

    John Varela, Jun 10, 2009