strange trash behavior after installing new ext HD

Discussion in 'Apple' started by heron stone, Aug 7, 2004.

  1. heron stone

    heron stone Guest

    I installed a new ext. FW HD today and shuffled a lot of files around.

    Now my trash is behaving strangely.

    When I drag a file into the trash or hit CMD-delete, I get a dialog
    saying, "The item "XXX" will be deleted immediately. Are you sure you
    want to continue?"

    If i say OK, the file is completely deleted just like it says... not
    just put in the trash.

    Before, when I dragged stuff to the trash or hit CMD=delete, it remained
    in the trash until I emptied it myself.

    Why did it change behavior?
    How can I change it back to it's previous way of operating?

    thanks

    heron

    --
    unDO email address
    ___

    heron stone, Aug 7, 2004

  2. heron stone

    heron stone Guest

    In article
    <>,
    heron stone <> wrote:

    > I installed a new ext. FW HD today and shuffled a lot of files around.
    >
    > Now my trash is behaving strangely.
    >
    > When I drag a file into the trash or hit CMD-delete, I get a dialog
    > saying, "The item "XXX" will be deleted immediately. Are you sure you
    > want to continue?"
    >
    > If i say OK, the file is completely deleted just like it says... not
    > just put in the trash.
    >
    > Before, when I dragged stuff to the trash or hit CMD=delete, it remained
    > in the trash until I emptied it myself.
    >
    > Why did it change behavior?
    > How can I change it back to it's previous way of operating?
    >
    > thanks
    >
    > heron

    Duh... my system: dual 1.25 G4, OSX 10.3.4

    --
    unDO email address
    ___

    heron stone, Aug 7, 2004

  3. heron stone

    heron stone Guest

    additional info

    I have 7 HDs disks mounted.

    internal
    boot (80GB)
    bootbak (80GB clone of boot - duped every night with retrospect)
    media1 (250GB)
    media2 (250GB)
    external FW
    media3 (160GB)
    media4 (200GB)
    media4bak (200GB clone of media4 - duped every night with retrospect)

    Previously media4 and media4bak were 80GB FW HDs. The data on them was
    transferred to the new 200GB HDs and the 2 80s were shelved for later
    use.

    The problem is only with deleting items on the disks media4 and
    media4bak.

    heron

    --
    unDO email address
    ___

    heron stone, Aug 7, 2004
  4. In article
    <>,
    heron stone <> wrote:

    > additional info
    >
    > I have 7 HDs disks mounted.
    >
    > internal
    > boot (80GB)
    > bootbak (80GB clone of boot - duped every night with retrospect)
    > media1 (250GB)
    > media2 (250GB)
    > external FW
    > media3 (160GB)
    > media4 (200GB)
    > media4bak (200GB clone of media4 - duped every night with retrospect)
    >
    > Previously media4 and media4bak were 80GB FW HDs. The data on them was
    > transferred to the new 200GB HDs and the 2 80s were shelved for later
    > use.
    >
    > The problem is only with deleting items on the disks media4 and
    > media4bak.

    But not media3?

    What file system is in use on media4 and media4bak?

    What kind of device is the external FireWire case?

    What do you get from this in terminal:
    'ls -l a /Volumes/media4 | grep rash'
    ?

    --
    Standard output is like your butt. Everyone has one. When using a bathroom,
    they all default to going into a toilet. However, a person can redirect his

    Gregory Weston, Aug 7, 2004
  5. heron stone

    heron stone Guest

    In article <>,
    Gregory Weston <> wrote:

    > In article
    > <>,
    > heron stone <> wrote:
    >
    > > additional info
    > >
    > > I have 7 HDs disks mounted.
    > >
    > > internal
    > > boot (80GB)
    > > bootbak (80GB clone of boot - duped every night with retrospect)
    > > media1 (250GB)
    > > media2 (250GB)
    > > external FW
    > > media3 (160GB)
    > > media4 (200GB)
    > > media4bak (200GB clone of media4 - duped every night with retrospect)
    > >
    > > Previously media4 and media4bak were 80GB FW HDs. The data on them was
    > > transferred to the new 200GB HDs and the 2 80s were shelved for later
    > > use.
    > >
    > > The problem is only with deleting items on the disks media4 and
    > > media4bak.

    > But not media3?

    that's right, it's fine

    > What file system is in use on media4 and media4bak?

    mac os extended

    > What kind of device is the external FireWire case?

    both maxtor ext FW drives

    > What do you get from this in terminal:
    > 'ls -l a /Volumes/media4 | grep rash'

    ls: a: No such file or directory

    and i get the same response for every drive
    including the boot drive.

    heron

    --
    unDO email address
    ___

    heron stone, Aug 7, 2004
  6. In article
    <>,
    heron stone <> wrote:

    > In article <>,
    > Gregory Weston <> wrote:
    > > What do you get from this in terminal:
    > > 'ls -l a /Volumes/media4 | grep rash'

    > ls: a: No such file or directory
    >
    > and i get the same response for every drive
    > including the boot drive.

    It should be "-a", not just "a".

    --
    Barry Margolin,
    Arlington, MA

    Barry Margolin, Aug 8, 2004
  7. heron stone

    heron stone Guest

    In article <>,
    Barry Margolin <> wrote:

    > In article
    > <>,
    > heron stone <> wrote:
    >
    > > In article <>,
    > > Gregory Weston <> wrote:
    > > > What do you get from this in terminal:
    > > > 'ls -l a /Volumes/media4 | grep rash'

    > > ls: a: No such file or directory
    > >
    > > and i get the same response for every drive
    > > including the boot drive.

    > It should be "-a", not just "a".

    aah... that makes a difference... thanks

    i ran all my disks... results follow

    [heron:~] heron% ls -l -a /Volumes/heron | grep rash
    [heron:~] heron%

    [heron:~] heron% ls -l -a /Volumes/heronbak | grep rash
    d-wx-wx-wx 5 root admin 170 7 Aug 03:33 .Trashes
    drwxr-xr-x 14 heron unknown 476 7 Aug 02:54 Trash

    [heron:~] heron% ls -l -a /Volumes/media1 | grep rash
    d-wx-wx-wx 5 root admin 170 8 Oct 2003 .Trashes

    [heron:~] heron% ls -l -a /Volumes/media2 | grep rash
    d-wx-wx-wx 6 root staff 204 24 May 20:50 .Trashes

    [heron:~] heron% ls -l -a /Volumes/media3 | grep rash
    d-wx-wx-wx 5 root admin 170 8 Oct 2003 .Trashes

    [heron:~] heron% ls -l -a /Volumes/media4 | grep rash
    d-wx-wx-wx 4 root admin 136 6 Aug 20:58 .Trashes

    [heron:~] heron% ls -l -a /Volumes/media4bak | grep rash
    d-wx-wx-wx 4 root admin 136 7 Aug 04:37 .Trashes

    --
    unDO email address
    ___

    heron stone, Aug 8, 2004