    expensive. Also, I have not seen this in person. I have seen the Studio at
    a local store. Does anybody have any opinions on the Vostro?

    Thanks.
    Cox Newsgroups, Aug 8, 2009

  2. Cox Newsgroups

    vbDavidC Guest

    I don't know which part of the installation you are talking about but
    here is some things I worked out with XP.

    I don't have a Dell Studio but I installed it on a new Inspiron for a
    friend about 2 weeks ago. It actually went pretty smooth once I
    understood what I was doing.

    I have done a ton of installs of XP but the trick with new machines is
    the SATA contoller. XP does not have native support for SATA during
    the installation. Since this was my first time I was not sure how to
    do it but I had a XP SP3 CD which I thought might help me since there
    is SATA support for it but I think there is some confusion about
    support. I don't think it means during the installation.

    The trick was having the correct SATA driver. If you go to the Dell
    website and you look up your service tag or model it will have XP
    drivers. When I downloaded the SATA drivers I was able to place them
    on a floppy diskette. My friend who I was helping had a USB floppy
    drive which made this process easier. If we would not have had the
    floppy drive we would have had to slipstream the drivers onto a 'new'
    XP CD. I did not need it this time but I have used nLite for other
    things recently it allows you to create a new CD with hardware
    drivers.

    When the XP install came up we hit the F6 key which at some point
    displayed a long list of controllers to select from. I did not know
    which to select so what we ended up having to do was to go back into
    Vista and go to the Device Manager to see which specific Intel
    Controller model was used. We restarted the XP install and after I
    selected the right controller it installed like Butter.

    For whatever reason I had not dealt with XP and SATA drives/drivers so
    I was somewhat SATA ignorant but once you get past this you are good
    to go.

    FYI, I did a dual boot with Win7 (XP installed first) and that worked
    out well. I posted a question on this group and someone referred to
    the following website:

    http://apcmag.com/how_to_dual_boot_vista_and_xp_with_vista_installed_...

    They have instructions for different systems.

    David
    vbDavidC, Aug 8, 2009

  3. Sorry for not being clear. I know how to get by the SATA driver. I, too,
    have installed XP on an Inspiron. I wanted information/experiences
    specifically for the Dell Studio 1737 and/or 1735.

    Thanks.

    Cox Newsgroups, Aug 9, 2009
  4. Cox Newsgroups

    Gary Baldi Guest

    On Aug 8, 7:22 pm, "Cox Newsgroups" <> wrote:
    > I would like to get a Dell Studio 1737 and install Windows XP.  I did a
    > search and found a few posts where it appears that people have successfully
    > installed XP.  Has anybody from this newsgroup tried it?
    >
    > My other option is a Vostro 1720.  I see that it has a non-glare LED
    > display.  I know it has an option for the true life but it is more
    > expensive.  Also, I have not seen this in person.  I have seen the Studio at
    > a local store.  Does anybody have any opinions on the Vostro?
    >
    > Thanks.

    I have the Vostro 1700 which, I believe, is the same machine albeit
    different chipset on the mobo.

    Quite lumpy, wouldn't want to carry it too far. Also the ac adaptor
    fit into the socket is loose (had the same on a previous Inspiron
    laptop).......it has an annoying tendency to slip out.

    Other than that, great machine. I've had XP, Vista and, currently,
    Windows 7 on it without any problems at all, don't ever recall a BSOD.

    Be wary if you want to upgrade the memory; one of the memory modules
    bizarrely lives under the keyboard so it's a full dismantle jobbie.
    Gary Baldi, Aug 9, 2009
  5. Cox Newsgroups

    hyphenated

    Joined:
    Sep 3, 2009
    Messages:
    1
    i've got xp home sp3 installed successfully on a studio 1737
    finding drivers are a pain in the a**
    i don't know if the ir works
    the camera works
    i cant get bluetooth to work atm
    the wireless/lan is fine
    chipset drivers/vga drivers from intel work like a charm
    1394 net adapter in device manager has yellow (!) don't know why
    the card reader works
    the audio works but isnt that great, some people are having problems with the mic but haven't checked that yet

    its a real pain in the a** get a diff model

    anybody know why the 1394 adapter isn't working properly?

    Last edited: Sep 3, 2009
    hyphenated, Sep 3, 2009