Stupid question, perhaps...

Discussion in 'Supermicro' started by Joe Schmuckatelli, Apr 1, 2005.

  1. I've got a customer who upgraded three systems using another brand
    motherboard, stuck in 4 gig of ram, and ran smack into the
    "motherboard mapping stuff into the memory space" bit.

    Having used Supermicro boards before and having been satisfied with
    them; also, knowing that Supermicro has Xeon boards that can support
    up to 16GB of memory; and not being able to get a straight answer from
    our local Intel rep, I ask this:

    Would a server board (say, built around an E7501 chipset) exhibit the
    same problem? If one were to put 4GB of memory in, would the system
    actually see (and use) 4 gigs?

    1. Advertising

  2. daytripper

    daytripper Guest

    On Fri, 01 Apr 2005 21:38:52 GMT, (Joe
    Schmuckatelli) wrote:

    >I've got a customer who upgraded three systems using another brand
    >motherboard, stuck in 4 gig of ram, and ran smack into the
    >"motherboard mapping stuff into the memory space" bit.
    >
    >Having used Supermicro boards before and having been satisfied with
    >them; also, knowing that Supermicro has Xeon boards that can support
    >up to 16GB of memory; and not being able to get a straight answer from
    >our local Intel rep, I ask this:
    >
    >Would a server board (say, built around an E7501 chipset) exhibit the
    >same problem? If one were to put 4GB of memory in, would the system
    >actually see (and use) 4 gigs?

    IO is memory mapped, something has to give.
    If this is Windows, only PAE Mode will let you see more than ~3.5GB of memory.

    1. Advertising

  3. On Fri, 01 Apr 2005 22:17:41 -0500, daytripper
    <> wrote:

    >IO is memory mapped

    I understand that. I didn't know whether or not the server chipsets
    (as opposed to those used in desktop boards) were able to map memory
    around the areas reserved for IO. I gather you're saying the answer
    is no.