Suggestions for an AM2+ mobo?

Discussion in 'Overclocking' started by ~misfit~, Jun 20, 2008.

  1. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Hey all,

    I'm Intel all the way at the moment. However, a friend bought a built-up
    'gaming machine' (I've mentioned it before here, it's been nothing but
    trouble) using an Asus M3A motherboard, a Phenom 9500 CPU, 1x2GB DDR2 module
    and a 9600GT.

    The machine's abeen a nightmare. Firstly it was supplied with a PSU that was
    barely capable of 300W (Tt 420W). I replaced it with a reasonable 510W PSU,
    reinstalled Windows (don't ask!), updated the BIOS and it seemed alright for
    a while. I showed him how to raise vcore if it kept crashing.

    Well, yesterday he rang me and asked about a replacement mobo. He's raised
    vcore all the way (!) in BIOS, 1.550V and it's still crashing. I expressed
    concern at the high voltage but he assured me that the two hardware
    monitoring apps I'd given him, HWMonitor and CPU-Z both say that the vcore
    is only 1.2xxV when in Windows. I also got him to raise VDIMM to (at the
    moment) 2.05V. He doesn't have another stick of DDR2 to try and I only have
    what's in this machine and I'm loathe to mess with it. My luck hasn't been
    great of late. :-/

    I've been sick so I advised him to get a single 1GB stick of DDR2 - 800 and
    try that alone. However, if that doesn't work he wants me to advise on a
    good mobo. (and fit it, reinstall Windows...) I like Asus personally
    (followed by Gigabyte) but the vanilla M3A model that he has, going by
    Googling, seems to have been a lemon. As I mentioned, I'm not au fait with
    current AMD boards or chipsets so a suggestion or two would be nice. :)
    He'll pay between NZ$200 and $300. (US$150 - $200 by the time it gets here?)
    Also, he's said that this is the last time he ever buys a PC on impulse.
    I've built the last two machines for him and they've been trouble-free. He's
    rather surprised that a PC can be this much trouble, LOL.

    Another thing, I've heard that the first Phenoms, the 9x00 range, were
    'flaky', that the 9x50 are much better. However, surely they're not *that*
    bad that he needs to replace his CPU?

    All input appreciated. He's desperate and is going to be calling me soon.
    I'll look around but anyone with a positive experience with an AM2+ mobo
    that they want to share would be great. Also, any comments on the above;
    RAM? CPU?

    The clowns that threw this machine together were, IMO, getting rid of
    troublesome or slow-moving stock. The PSU was a lemon, the mobo won't work
    with LAN drivers off the supplied CD, nobody's buying the 9x00 Phenoms now
    the 9x50 ones are around... These guys are that incompetent that they didn't
    remove the jumper from the Seagate 500Gb 7200.11 HDD that limits it to SATA
    I speed.

    Anyway, I digress. Suggestions appreciated. Oh, I'm in New Zealand so mobo
    availablility could be limited.

    TIA.
    --
    Shaun.

  2. Brett Kline

    Brett Kline Guest

    ~misfit~ wrote:
    > Hey all,
    >
    > I'm Intel all the way at the moment. However, a friend bought a built-up
    > 'gaming machine' (I've mentioned it before here, it's been nothing but
    > trouble) using an Asus M3A motherboard, a Phenom 9500 CPU, 1x2GB DDR2 module
    > and a 9600GT.
    >
    > The machine's abeen a nightmare. Firstly it was supplied with a PSU that was
    > barely capable of 300W (Tt 420W). I replaced it with a reasonable 510W PSU,
    > reinstalled Windows (don't ask!), updated the BIOS and it seemed alright for
    > a while. I showed him how to raise vcore if it kept crashing.
    >
    > Well, yesterday he rang me and asked about a replacement mobo. He's raised
    > vcore all the way (!) in BIOS, 1.550V and it's still crashing. I expressed
    > concern at the high voltage but he assured me that the two hardware
    > monitoring apps I'd given him, HWMonitor and CPU-Z both say that the vcore
    > is only 1.2xxV when in Windows. I also got him to raise VDIMM to (at the
    > moment) 2.05V. He doesn't have another stick of DDR2 to try and I only have
    > what's in this machine and I'm loathe to mess with it. My luck hasn't been
    > great of late. :-/
    >
    > I've been sick so I advised him to get a single 1GB stick of DDR2 - 800 and
    > try that alone. However, if that doesn't work he wants me to advise on a
    > good mobo. (and fit it, reinstall Windows...) I like Asus personally
    > (followed by Gigabyte) but the vanilla M3A model that he has, going by
    > Googling, seems to have been a lemon. As I mentioned, I'm not au fait with
    > current AMD boards or chipsets so a suggestion or two would be nice. :)
    > He'll pay between NZ$200 and $300. (US$150 - $200 by the time it gets here?)
    > Also, he's said that this is the last time he ever buys a PC on impulse.
    > I've built the last two machines for him and they've been trouble-free. He's
    > rather surprised that a PC can be this much trouble, LOL.
    >
    > Another thing, I've heard that the first Phenoms, the 9x00 range, were
    > 'flaky', that the 9x50 are much better. However, surely they're not *that*
    > bad that he needs to replace his CPU?
    >
    > All input appreciated. He's desperate and is going to be calling me soon.
    > I'll look around but anyone with a positive experience with an AM2+ mobo
    > that they want to share would be great. Also, any comments on the above;
    > RAM? CPU?
    >
    > The clowns that threw this machine together were, IMO, getting rid of
    > troublesome or slow-moving stock. The PSU was a lemon, the mobo won't work
    > with LAN drivers off the supplied CD, nobody's buying the 9x00 Phenoms now
    > the 9x50 ones are around... These guys are that incompetent that they didn't
    > remove the jumper from the Seagate 500Gb 7200.11 HDD that limits it to SATA
    > I speed.
    >
    > Anyway, I digress. Suggestions appreciated. Oh, I'm in New Zealand so mobo
    > availablility could be limited.
    >
    > TIA.

    Gigabyte GA-MA770-DS3, GA-MA790FX-DS5 and the MSI K9N SLI-F V.2 are the
    only motherboards I've used with the Phenom.

    Some users have have had trouble with the 770/790FX chipset and memory
    faster than DDR2 800 (PC2-6400). Using Crucial part BL2KIT12864AA1065
    I've not had the same problems.

    Have you tried a single PC2-6400 module on the M3A?

    http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/FileList/MemorySupport/motherboard_memory_ga-ma790fx-ds5.pdf
    http://www.gigabyte-usa.com/FileList/MemorySupport/motherboard_memory_ga-ma770-ds3.pdf

    1. Advertising

  3. Paul

    Paul Guest

    ~misfit~ wrote:
    > Hey all,
    >
    > I'm Intel all the way at the moment. However, a friend bought a built-up
    > 'gaming machine' (I've mentioned it before here, it's been nothing but
    > trouble) using an Asus M3A motherboard, a Phenom 9500 CPU, 1x2GB DDR2 module
    > and a 9600GT.
    >
    > The machine's abeen a nightmare. Firstly it was supplied with a PSU that was
    > barely capable of 300W (Tt 420W). I replaced it with a reasonable 510W PSU,
    > reinstalled Windows (don't ask!), updated the BIOS and it seemed alright for
    > a while. I showed him how to raise vcore if it kept crashing.
    >
    > Well, yesterday he rang me and asked about a replacement mobo. He's raised
    > vcore all the way (!) in BIOS, 1.550V and it's still crashing. I expressed
    > concern at the high voltage but he assured me that the two hardware
    > monitoring apps I'd given him, HWMonitor and CPU-Z both say that the vcore
    > is only 1.2xxV when in Windows. I also got him to raise VDIMM to (at the
    > moment) 2.05V. He doesn't have another stick of DDR2 to try and I only have
    > what's in this machine and I'm loathe to mess with it. My luck hasn't been
    > great of late. :-/
    >
    > I've been sick so I advised him to get a single 1GB stick of DDR2 - 800 and
    > try that alone. However, if that doesn't work he wants me to advise on a
    > good mobo. (and fit it, reinstall Windows...) I like Asus personally
    > (followed by Gigabyte) but the vanilla M3A model that he has, going by
    > Googling, seems to have been a lemon. As I mentioned, I'm not au fait with
    > current AMD boards or chipsets so a suggestion or two would be nice. :)
    > He'll pay between NZ$200 and $300. (US$150 - $200 by the time it gets here?)
    > Also, he's said that this is the last time he ever buys a PC on impulse.
    > I've built the last two machines for him and they've been trouble-free. He's
    > rather surprised that a PC can be this much trouble, LOL.
    >
    > Another thing, I've heard that the first Phenoms, the 9x00 range, were
    > 'flaky', that the 9x50 are much better. However, surely they're not *that*
    > bad that he needs to replace his CPU?
    >
    > All input appreciated. He's desperate and is going to be calling me soon.
    > I'll look around but anyone with a positive experience with an AM2+ mobo
    > that they want to share would be great. Also, any comments on the above;
    > RAM? CPU?
    >
    > The clowns that threw this machine together were, IMO, getting rid of
    > troublesome or slow-moving stock. The PSU was a lemon, the mobo won't work
    > with LAN drivers off the supplied CD, nobody's buying the 9x00 Phenoms now
    > the 9x50 ones are around... These guys are that incompetent that they didn't
    > remove the jumper from the Seagate 500Gb 7200.11 HDD that limits it to SATA
    > I speed.
    >
    > Anyway, I digress. Suggestions appreciated. Oh, I'm in New Zealand so mobo
    > availablility could be limited.
    >
    > TIA.

    There is a list here, of boards with better Vcore regulators. But this
    would be more of an issue if you had a higher end processor (9850).

    http://event.asus.com/mb/140w/

    And when I checked the price on the M3A32, it was over the NZ$300 limit.
    I think it is also cursed by only having one PS/2 port (which matters
    to some people). I used this to get some pricing.

    http://www.pricespy.co.nz

    I notice that search engine only indexes by title line, so if you use
    "AM2" as a search term, it doesn't manage to list all the AM2 motherboards!

    You could go with something from the previous generation. The M2N-SLI Deluxe
    has a good set of connectors on the back. It is an AM2 board, but AM2+ processors
    are backward compatible (just need the right BIOS). The HT bus won't run as
    fast (no big deal) and the memory controller may not go to astronomical speeds.
    But it might be a cheaper solution. There are 1600 reviews on Newegg, so you
    should be able to get a good idea of how much of a dud it is.

    I don't really enjoy shopping for AM2/AM2+, because the reviews tend to
    be depressing.

    Another option, is to use this Motherboard Selector at AMD. It lists
    motherboards versus your processor selection.

    http://products.amd.com/en-us/RecommendedMBFilter.aspx

    Paul

  4. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarweb "Phil Weldon" typed:
    > 'Shaun' wrote, in part:
    >> I'm Intel all the way at the moment. However, a friend bought a
    >> built-up 'gaming machine' (I've mentioned it before here, it's been
    >> nothing but trouble) using an Asus M3A motherboard, a Phenom 9500
    >> CPU, 1x2GB DDR2 module and a 9600GT.

    > _____
    >
    > Intel Q6600 + motherboard for less than $200 US on sale; course you
    > probably want to throw away the motherboard B^(
    > Even not on sale, an Intel Q6600 is $7 US less than an AMD Phenom
    > 9600 Quad and $30 US than an Intel E6600!
    >
    > 1. Sell the current CPU for a decent price, sell the current
    > motherboard for what you can get.
    > 2. Buy an Intel Q6600 (if your friend really needs quad cores);
    > there are a number of quad core 1066/1333 MHz FSB Intel manufactured
    > Core 2 Quad capable motherboards for around $100 US (Intel has gone
    > over to the dark side and now builds motherboards that are
    > overclocking friendly.)
    > So you could get rid of this problem smoothly by spending $200 US
    > (CPU) + $100 US (Intel motherboard) - $75 US (sell Phenom 9500) - $30
    > US (Asus M3A) = $195 US net cost.

    LOL, it's what I would do. However, that's the flaw in the plan, *I'd* be
    doing it, as a favour.

    Currently he's bought a single 1GB stick of DDR2 800 RAM per my instructions
    and fitted it in place of the 2GB stick that was there. That was two days
    ago and I haven't heard from him. I take it that his silence is a good
    thing, that the machine is now functioning as intended. <fingers crossed>

    Cheers Phil.
    --
    Shaun.

> [...]
    >> on the above; RAM? CPU?
    >>
    >> The clowns that threw this machine together were, IMO, getting rid of
    >> troublesome or slow-moving stock. The PSU was a lemon, the mobo
    >> won't work with LAN drivers off the supplied CD, nobody's buying the
    >> 9x00 Phenoms now the 9x50 ones are around... These guys are that
    >> incompetent that they didn't remove the jumper from the Seagate
    >> 500Gb 7200.11 HDD that limits it to SATA I speed.
    >>
    >> Anyway, I digress. Suggestions appreciated. Oh, I'm in New Zealand
    >> so mobo availablility could be limited.
    >>
    >> TIA.
    >> --
    >> Shaun.
    >>
    >> DISCLAIMER: If you find a posting or message from me
    >> offensive, inappropriate, or disruptive, please ignore it.
    >> If you don't know how to ignore a posting, complain to
    >> me and I will be only too happy to demonstrate... ;-)

  5. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarweb "Brett Kline" typed:
> [...]
    >> soon. I'll look around but anyone with a positive experience with an
    >> AM2+ mobo that they want to share would be great. Also, any comments
    >> on the above; RAM? CPU?
    >>
    >> The clowns that threw this machine together were, IMO, getting rid of
    >> troublesome or slow-moving stock. The PSU was a lemon, the mobo
    >> won't work with LAN drivers off the supplied CD, nobody's buying the
    >> 9x00 Phenoms now the 9x50 ones are around... These guys are that
    >> incompetent that they didn't remove the jumper from the Seagate
    >> 500Gb 7200.11 HDD that limits it to SATA I speed.
    >>
    >> Anyway, I digress. Suggestions appreciated. Oh, I'm in New Zealand
    >> so mobo availablility could be limited.
    >>
    >> TIA.

    > Gigabyte GA-MA770-DS3, GA-MA790FX-DS5 and the MSI K9N SLI-F V.2 are
    > the only motherboards I've used with the Phenom.

    Thanks. I take it you recommend them all?

    > Some users have have had trouble with the 770/790FX chipset and memory
    > faster than DDR2 800 (PC2-6400). Using Crucial part BL2KIT12864AA1065
    > I've not had the same problems.
    >
    > Have you tried a single PC2-6400 module on the M3A?
    >

    > http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/FileList/MemorySupport/motherboard_memory_ga-ma790fx-ds5.pdf
    > http://www.gigabyte-usa.com/FileList/MemorySupport/motherboard_memory_ga-ma770-ds3.pdf

    See my reply to Phil. I think that the RAM may have been the problem. I'm
    loathe to call him, I'm pretty sure he'd have got back to me if there were
    still problems.

    Cheers,
    --
    Shaun.

  6. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarweb "Paul" typed:
> [...]
    >> soon. I'll look around but anyone with a positive experience with an
    >> AM2+ mobo that they want to share would be great. Also, any comments
    >> on the above; RAM? CPU?
    >>
    >> The clowns that threw this machine together were, IMO, getting rid of
    >> troublesome or slow-moving stock. The PSU was a lemon, the mobo
    >> won't work with LAN drivers off the supplied CD, nobody's buying the
    >> 9x00 Phenoms now the 9x50 ones are around... These guys are that
    >> incompetent that they didn't remove the jumper from the Seagate
    >> 500Gb 7200.11 HDD that limits it to SATA I speed.
    >>
    >> Anyway, I digress. Suggestions appreciated. Oh, I'm in New Zealand
    >> so mobo availablility could be limited.
    >>
    >> TIA.

    > There is a list here, of boards with better Vcore regulators. But this
    > would be more of an issue if you had a higher end processor (9850).

    S'funny, the Asus specs page for the M3A has "*Supports CPUs up to 95W."
    written there in what looks like an addition to the original specs. It's in
    a larger font. The 9500 *is* 95W, therefore, by the leter of Asus site,
    unsupported. However, in a contradiction, the Asus supported CPU list for
    the M3A lists some 125W CPUs. I think that they've changed the specs page
    but haven't got around to changing the supported CPU page. The board is a
    lemon.

    > And when I checked the price on the M3A32, it was over the NZ$300
    > limit. I think it is also cursed by only having one PS/2 port (which
    > matters
    > to some people). I used this to get some pricing.
    >
    > http://www.pricespy.co.nz

    Alas, I gave up on NZ Pricespy a long time ago. Fully 70% of deals that
    sound too good tobe true are. They claim no stock or similar. However, I
    very much appreciate your time and effort Paul.

    > I notice that search engine only indexes by title line, so if you use
    > "AM2" as a search term, it doesn't manage to list all the AM2
    > motherboards!
    > You could go with something from the previous generation. The M2N-SLI
    > Deluxe has a good set of connectors on the back. It is an AM2 board, but
    > AM2+ processors are backward compatible (just need the right BIOS).
    > The HT bus won't run as fast (no big deal) and the memory controller may
    > not go to
    > astronomical speeds. But it might be a cheaper solution. There are
    > 1600 reviews on Newegg, so you should be able to get a good idea of
    > how much of a dud it is.

    Thanks.

    > I don't really enjoy shopping for AM2/AM2+, because the reviews tend
    > to be depressing.

    Yeah. Part of the reason I'm using Intel again after several years with AMD.

    > Another option, is to use this Motherboard Selector at AMD. It lists
    > motherboards versus your processor selection.
    >
    > http://products.amd.com/en-us/RecommendedMBFilter.aspx

    Much appreciated, thanks. However, in my reply to Phil I've mentioned that
    it's probably working fine using a single 1GB stick or RAM (at least I
    haven't heard).

    Thanks again Paul, you're an asset to this group. :)
    --
    Shaun.

  7. Brett Kline

    Brett Kline Guest

    ~misfit~ wrote:

    > Somewhere on teh intarweb "Brett Kline" typed:
    >> ~misfit~ wrote:

    >> Gigabyte GA-MA770-DS3, GA-MA790FX-DS5 and the MSI K9N SLI-F V.2 are
    >> the only motherboards I've used with the Phenom.

    > Thanks. I take it you recommend them all?

    All are decent IME with the GA-MA790FX-DS5 being the most fully featured.

    >> Some users have have had trouble with the 770/790FX chipset and memory
    >> faster than DDR2 800 (PC2-6400). Using Crucial part BL2KIT12864AA1065
    >> I've not had the same problems.
    >>
    >> Have you tried a single PC2-6400 module on the M3A?

    > See my reply to Phil. I think that the RAM may have been the problem.
    > I'm loathe to call him, I'm pretty sure he'd have got back to me if
    > there were still problems.

    Hopefully it was the RAM after all.