    etc. - and would like to tweak them :)

    TIA

    Triffid

    Triffid, Dec 16, 2004

  2. I always thought Solaris was enough of an adventure in itself :)

    Shoeboxes are quite popular & valuable on Ebay incidentally,
    they are a nice enclosure design, quite well made, ok PSU/cooling.
    They don't particularly like being stuffed with super-hot SCSI tho.

    Overclocking on Suns is probably limited to swapping processors.
    --
    Dorothy Bradbury

    Dorothy Bradbury, Dec 16, 2004

  3. Triffid

    Triffid Guest

    Dorothy Bradbury wrote:

    > I always thought Solaris was enough of an adventure in itself :)

    Can be ;-)

    > Shoeboxes are quite popular & valuable on Ebay incidentally,
    > they are a nice enclosure design, quite well made, ok PSU/cooling.
    > They don't particularly like being stuffed with super-hot SCSI tho.

    Somewhat surprising given they tend to be rather heavy, therefore costly
    to ship. There seems to be healthy demand locally - if I can avoid
    packing them, I will ;-)

    > Overclocking on Suns is probably limited to swapping processors.

    Actually, it turns out there are hidden boot PROM commands which allow
    changes to the processor speed. The machine I experimented with briefly
    had no problem running 10% faster than standard.

    Let the tweakfest begin :)

    Triffid, Dec 17, 2004
  4. > Actually, it turns out there are hidden boot PROM commands which allow changes to the
    > processor speed. The machine I experimented with briefly had no problem running 10%
    > faster than standard.
    > Let the tweakfest begin :)

    Ironic that SUN are now the overclocking toy :)
    Nice machines.

    Yes the shoeboxes are heavy, not a bad industrial design either.
    --
    Dorothy Bradbury

    Dorothy Bradbury, Dec 17, 2004
  5. Triffid

    Triffid Guest

    Dorothy Bradbury wrote:
    >>Actually, it turns out there are hidden boot PROM commands which allow changes to the
    >>processor speed. The machine I experimented with briefly had no problem running 10%
    >>faster than standard.
    >>Let the tweakfest begin :)

    > Ironic that SUN are now the overclocking toy :)
    > Nice machines.

    Indeed - but why ironic?

    Quality design and manufacturing always leaves adequate headroom to
    ensure individual component variations do not compromise the ability of
    completed units to meet specifications under worst-case conditions. IMHO
    there's no reason end users should not determine and utilise the maximum
    performance capabilities of individual units under local conditions -
    especially when any warranties have long expired.

    > Yes the shoeboxes are heavy, not a bad industrial design either.

    After spending the day swapping parts between various models in order to
    match the systems to my requirements, I have a renewed appreciation for
    the cleverness of Sun's industrial designs :)

    Triffid, Dec 18, 2004