    manual but it's not very helpful with this particular issue.

    Any ideas what it could be?

    TIA!

    Richard, Oct 2, 2009

  2. Richard

    keepanionme Guest

    On Oct 1, 11:52 pm, Richard <> wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > When I power on this system, cdrom lights up, system beeps 3 fast
    > beeps then turns off.
    >
    > I know it's not the power supply or RAM. I've also read the service
    > manual but it's not very helpful with this particular issue.
    >
    > Any ideas what it could be?
    >
    > TIA!

    I had this same issue with a Blade 1000 years ago. Once I replaced
    the NVRAM, it worked fine.

    keepanionme, Oct 2, 2009

  3. Richard

    Richard Guest

    On Oct 2, 12:20 pm, keepanionme <> wrote:
    > On Oct 1, 11:52 pm, Richard <> wrote:
    >
    > > Hi,

    > > When I power on this system, cdrom lights up, system beeps 3 fast
    > > beeps then turns off.

    > > I know it's not the power supply or RAM. I've also read the service
    > > manual but it's not very helpful with this particular issue.

    > > Any ideas what it could be?

    > > TIA!

    > I had this same issue with a Blade 1000 years ago.  Once I replaced
    > the NVRAM, it worked fine.

    Oh, where or how do you replace the NVRAM?

    Richard, Oct 9, 2009
  4. Richard <> writes:
    >On Oct 2, 12:20=A0pm, keepanionme <> wrote:
    >> On Oct 1, 11:52=A0pm, Richard <> wrote:
    >>
    >> > Hi,

    >> > When I power on this system, cdrom lights up, system beeps 3 fast
    >> > beeps then turns off.

    >> > I know it's not the power supply or RAM. I've also read the service
    >> > manual but it's not very helpful with this particular issue.

    >> > Any ideas what it could be?

    >> > TIA!

    >> I had this same issue with a Blade 1000 years ago. =A0Once I replaced
    >> the NVRAM, it worked fine.

    >Oh, where or how do you replace the NVRAM?

    http://www.squirrel.com/sun-nvram-hostid.faq.html

    Although its getting kinda long in the tooth for modern machines.

    You used to be able to get them from MemoryX.net for real cheap, don't
    know if they have any more left.

    Doug McIntyre, Oct 9, 2009
  5. Richard

    DoN. Nichols Guest

    On 2009-10-09, Richard <> wrote:
    > On Oct 2, 12:20 pm, keepanionme <> wrote:
    >> On Oct 1, 11:52 pm, Richard <> wrote:
    >>
    >> > Hi,

    >> > When I power on this system, cdrom lights up, system beeps 3 fast
    >> > beeps then turns off.

    >> > I know it's not the power supply or RAM. I've also read the service
    >> > manual but it's not very helpful with this particular issue.

    >> > Any ideas what it could be?

    >> > TIA!

    >> I had this same issue with a Blade 1000 years ago.  Once I replaced
    >> the NVRAM, it worked fine.

    > Oh, where or how do you replace the NVRAM?

    O.K. First off -- a Blade 100 and a Blade 1000 are very
    different machines:

    Blade 100 Blade 1000
    Disk interface: IDE FC-AL
    CDROM interface IDE SCSI

    and the NVRAM in the Blade 1000 is a serial eeprom (8 pin) with the
    TOD clock elsewhere, while the Blade 100 uses the old combined
    clock/EEPROM (battery-backed CMOS RAM).

    In the Blade 100 (which is what you need) the NVRAM is located
    at the upper left-hand corner of the system board if you hold the system
    so the back panel connectors are facing down. It is right below a
    connector marked as "J 16 ROMBO Connector" and is typically a 24-pin or
    28-pin (I forget which for the moment) socketed chip which looks about
    twice as tall as it should -- and may have a carrier/handle for pulling
    it, depending on the age of the machine.

    Another followup tells you where you may be able to get them
    programmed for the Sun (proper HostID and Mac address).

    Good Luck,
    DoN.

    --
    Email: <> | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564

    DoN. Nichols, Oct 10, 2009