    I have two Sunfire x4240 with no operating system. I'd like to use
    these systems with virtualization software. What would be the best
    operating system, virtual server software for this hardware?

    Allen L., May 17, 2011

  2. Allen L. <> wrote:
    > I have two Sunfire x4240 with no operating system. I'd like to use
    > these systems with virtualization software. What would be the best
    > operating system, virtual server software for this hardware?

    I'd suggest novell netware, or banyan vines.

    Cydrome Leader, May 17, 2011

  3. Allen L.

    Adl Guest

    On May 17, 2:21 pm, Cydrome Leader <> wrote:
    > Allen L. <> wrote:
    > > I have two Sunfire x4240 with no operating system. I'd like to use
    > > these systems with virtualization software. What would be the best
    > > operating system, virtual server software for this hardware?

    > I'd suggest novell netware, or banyan vines.

    Why not pdp-11. It's solid. I would like a serious suggestion.

    Adl, May 17, 2011
  4. In article <>,
    Allen L. <> wrote:
    >I have two Sunfire x4240 with no operating system.

    Do you have the systems under support contracts?

    >I'd like to use
    >these systems with virtualization software. What would be the best
    >operating system, virtual server software for this hardware?

    I've not read a comparison review of the different offerings.

    Do you need to run multiple OSs?

    John

    John D Groenveld, May 18, 2011
  5. Allen L.

    Adl Guest

    On May 17, 5:34 pm, (John D Groenveld) wrote:
    > In article <..com>,
    >
    > Allen L. <> wrote:
    > >I have two Sunfire x4240 with no operating system.

    > Do you have the systems under support contracts?
    >
    > >I'd like to use
    > >these systems with virtualization software. What would be the best
    > >operating system, virtual server software for this hardware?

    > I've not read a comparison review of the different offerings.
    >
    > Do you need to run multiple OSs?
    >
    > John

    Yes, I'd like to run multiple operating systems. The system is under
    contract, but when it was purchased we were provided with an operating
    system that does not run on this system. So, I'm trying to work that
    out, while continue to look at other options, including opensource.

    Adl, May 18, 2011
  6. In article <>,
    Adl <> wrote:
    >Yes, I'd like to run multiple operating systems. The system is under
    >contract, but when it was purchased we were provided with an operating
    >system that does not run on this system. So, I'm trying to work that
    >out, while continue to look at other options, including opensource.

    I run Windows and SUSE as VirtualBox guests running inside
    Solaris 11 Express zones.
    <URL:http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/server-storage/solaris11/downloads/>
    <URL:http://www.virtualbox.org/>

    John

    John D Groenveld, May 18, 2011
  7. Allen L.

    Michael Guest

    Hi,

    On 05/18/11 12:01 AM, Adl wrote:
    > On May 17, 2:21 pm, Cydrome Leader<> wrote:
    >> Allen L.<> wrote:
    >>> I have two Sunfire x4240 with no operating system. I'd like to use
    >>> these systems with virtualization software. What would be the best
    >>> operating system, virtual server software for this hardware?

    >> I'd suggest novell netware, or banyan vines.

    > Why not pdp-11. It's solid. I would like a serious suggestion.

    PDP-11 is not an operating system its a computer architecture.

    /michael

    Michael, May 18, 2011
  8. Adl <> wrote:
    > On May 17, 5:34?pm, (John D Groenveld) wrote:
    >> In article <>,
    >>
    >> Allen L. <> wrote:
    >> >I have two Sunfire x4240 with no operating system.

    >> Do you have the systems under support contracts?
    >>
    >> >I'd like to use
    >> >these systems with virtualization software. What would be the best
    >> >operating system, virtual server software for this hardware?

    >> I've not read a comparison review of the different offerings.
    >>
    >> Do you need to run multiple OSs?
    >>
    >> John
    >>

    > Yes, I'd like to run multiple operating systems. The system is under
    > contract, but when it was purchased we were provided with an operating
    > system that does not run on this system. So, I'm trying to work that
    > out, while continue to look at other options, including opensource.

    for a real answer, I'd take a look at VMware virtual sphere 4 or whatever
    the hell ESX is now called.

    It's not cheap, but it works well. I actually bought licenses for it for
    my own use, as it's cheaper than colocation space for dozens of idle
    servers. Check the VMware HCL before even thinking about buying it, or
    trying it on your hardware.

    It runs on the hardware itself, so there's no other OS to get in the way
    of your virtual machines. Your uptime can be in years if you don't patch.

    There is "free" stuff like xen or whatever, but that it's a joke, and as I
    recall you can't mix and match guest OSes with it.

    If you want to install BeOS or something just as silly in vmware, you can
    do it, no problem.

    Cydrome Leader, May 19, 2011