    I have run a full scan of the disk with AVG free edition. It assures
    me that the system is clean.

    Any ideas what is wrong, and how to fix it?

    Jonathan Sachs, Nov 7, 2008

  2. Jonathan Sachs

    TomK Guest

    This is probably it => http://support.microsoft.com/kb/909095

    Had the same issue.

    Tom

    TomK, Nov 7, 2008

  3. Re: Suspend/hibernate problem: "Insufficient system resources tocomplete the API"

    >> Jonathan Sachs <<

    Curosity question: Is this the same Jonathan Sachs who wrote the
    world's best PocketPC utility? (StopTime)

    If so, thanks again!

    Beverly Howard [Microsoft MVP-Mobile Devices]

    Beverly Howard [Ms-MVP/MobileDev], Nov 7, 2008
  4. Juan I. Cahis wrote:

    > I understand that this is a WinXP problem that it appears when the
    > computer has *more* than one GB of memory. There was a sort of
    > "unofficial patch" for this problem from Microsoft, but you should
    > call them by phone in order to get it.
    >
    > The solution? If your computer has more than one GB of main memory,
    > reduce it to one GB or less.
    >
    > Absurd, isn't it? But it worked for me!!!!!!

    No. This would not be a solution!!
    I have had my tc1100 under XP with 1.5GB RAM.
    No problems.

    Rainald

    Rainald Taesler, Nov 9, 2008
  5. On Fri, 07 Nov 2008 12:33:29 -0600, "Beverly Howard
    [Ms-MVP/MobileDev]" <BevNoSpamBevHoward.com> wrote:

    >Beverly Howard [Microsoft MVP-Mobile Devices]

    No, not the same. There at least three people named Jonathan Sac[hk]s
    in the computer field: the original author of Lotus 1-2-3, a guy who
    works for Microsoft, and me.

    In the 1980's I wrote three popular computer books for Osborne-McGraw
    Hill (one of which actually was popular). Since then I've been
    knocking around doing programming and technical writing.

    Jonathan Sachs, Nov 9, 2008
  6. Re: Suspend/hibernate problem: "Insufficient system resources tocomplete the API"

    Thanks for the response... not sure which one he is, but

    http://home.comcast.net/~jonsachs/#StopTime 2.0

    If you have a winmobile pocketpc, all of his apps are great.

    Beverly Howard [Microsoft MVP-Mobile Devices]

    Beverly Howard [Ms-MVP/MobileDev], Nov 9, 2008
  7. Jonathan Sachs

    NewCx Guest

    On Nov 7, 12:35 pm, Jonathan Sachs <> wrote:
    > I have a Toshiba Portege M200, and a few weeks ago I began getting the
    > message "Insufficient system resources to complete the API" when I try
    > to make the system hibernate.  It doesn't happen all the time; the
    > first attempt after a reboot is rarely fails, the second usually
    > fails, and the third almost always fails.
    >
    > When I try to suspend, the results are even worse.  The system APPEARS
    > to suspend, but I get the error when I try to wake it up again.  Then
    > there appears to be no way to make the error box close, to unlock the
    > computer, or to restart in an orderly way.  The only way out is to do
    > a hard power-off and restart.
    >
    > I have run a full scan of the disk with AVG free edition.  It assures
    > me that the system is clean.
    >
    > Any ideas what is wrong, and how to fix it?

    Jonathan,

    I had this problem on my Acer when the free space on my hard drive was
    less than the amount of RAM in the system. You need at least enough
    free space to store the Hyberfile.sys file, which will be the same
    size as the amount of system memory. Windows does not compress this
    data, so as system RAM gets bigger, using that last few gigs of the
    hard disk gets harder.

    In my case I never wanted to use hibernate, but Acer's power control
    sets it up and won't let the user turn it off. This means that for me
    there was always a 2 GB Hyberfile.sys in the C: root. I came up with
    this XP command:

    powercfg.exe /H Off

    and put it in a batch file that I call from the Startup group in the
    Start Menu. This turns hibernate off on every restart and deletes the
    2GB file from the root.

    NewCx, Nov 11, 2008
  8. NewCx wrote:

    > In my case I never wanted to use hibernate, but Acer's power control
    > sets it up and won't let the user turn it off. This means that for
    > me there was always a 2 GB Hyberfile.sys in the C: root. I came up
    > with this XP command:
    >
    > powercfg.exe /H Off
    >
    > and put it in a batch file that I call from the Startup group in the
    > Start Menu. This turns hibernate off on every restart and deletes
    > the 2GB file from the root.

    So you really killed one of the most important features the OS provides
    for portable computers (and most useful for desktops too).

    Rainald
    (who's shaking his old head because of wondering <g>)

    Rainald Taesler, Nov 12, 2008
  9. On Sun, 9 Nov 2008 01:43:47 +0100, "Rainald Taesler" <>
    wrote:

    >> If your computer has more than one GB of main memory, reduce it to one GB or less.
    >> Absurd, isn't it? But it worked for me!!!!!!

    >No. This would not be a solution!!
    >I have had my tc1100 under XP with 1.5GB RAM.
    >No problems.

    Just because the problem does not affect every computer with more than
    1 GB RAM, does not mean it does not affect some.

    In this case I believe Juan identified the problem correctly, although
    his solution seems extreme. I was referred privately to a Microsoft
    update described at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/909095, which
    appears to have fixed the problem. After I applied it I lost my
    wireless connection when I reactivated the computer, and had to
    restart, but that only happened once, and may not be related at all.

    Jonathan Sachs, Nov 15, 2008
  10. Re: Suspend/hibernate problem: "Insufficient system resources tocomplete the API"

    >> Please forgive me for my bad English, I am trying to improve it! <<

    Time to stop apologizing... tis better than most Americans.

    Beverly Howard [Microsoft MVP-Mobile Devices]

    Beverly Howard [Ms-MVP/MobileDev], Nov 16, 2008
  11. Jonathan Sachs wrote:

    >>> If your computer has more than one GB of main memory, reduce it
    >>> to one GB or less. Absurd, isn't it? But it worked for me!!!!!!

    >> No. This would not be a solution!!
    >> I have had my tc1100 under XP with 1.5GB RAM.
    >> No problems.

    > Just because the problem does not affect every computer with more
    > than 1 GB RAM, does not mean it does not affect some.

    I would not at all deny that:
    I was just objecting to the recommendation to leave the computer with
    1GB RAM only.

    > In this case I believe Juan identified the problem correctly,
    > although his solution seems extreme. I was referred privately to a
    > Microsoft update described at
    > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/909095, which appears to have fixed
    > the problem. After I applied it I lost my wireless connection when
    > I reactivated the computer, and had to restart, but that only
    > happened once, and may not be related at all.

    Thanks for posting the reference!

    Rainald

    Rainald Taesler, Nov 18, 2008
  12. Jonathan Sachs

    R. Keesk Guest

    Re: Suspend/hibernate problem: "Insufficient system resources to c

    Jonathan:
    Unfortunately, downloaded patch failed to install, effectively saying Sp3
    was newer and problem is already fixed.
    Which is not true as I still experience the problem.
    Does anyone else still have it, also?

    --
    Komputers

    R. Keesk, Jan 12, 2009