Switching to a Slate?

Discussion in 'Tablet PC' started by Wait, Aug 7, 2003.

  1. Wait

    Wait Guest

    Currently I use a Toshiba 3505 and really like the speed. But when I use it
    as a tablet for note taking and the like, the thickness of the device and
    the screen glare are real impediments, as is the weight. As a result, I find
    myself using it as an ultraportable notebook more than a tablet. It is a
    great notebook, but consequently I am missing some of the benefits I wanted
    from the tablet.

    So, I'm thinking about switching to a slate. I find the NEC intriguing
    because of its light weight and the Fujitsu because of its antiglare
    feature. I would use the tablet primarily for calendaring, planning, email
    and web browsing, mainly in an office conference rooms and at home on a
    wireless network, but also in some travel and on airplanes. I don't really
    plan to use the machine outside, but I would like something very comfortable
    to use as a replacement for a note pad and planner. I'd really appreciate
    hearing from experienced slate users as to recommendations and thoughts.

    TIA.

    1. Advertising

  2. terri

    terri Guest

    As of right now, only the Motion M1300 offers a slate with Centrino. The
    Centrino with the Pentium-M is faster than a Pentium III-M. A 1.6Ghz
    Pentium-M is 13% faster than a 2.4 Pentium 4M according to Intel.

    --
    Terri Stratton
    http://thetabletpc.net

    "David Cleland" <> wrote in message

    > > Currently I use a Toshiba 3505 and really like the speed. But when I use

    > it
    > > as a tablet for note taking and the like, the thickness of the device

    and
    > > the screen glare are real impediments, as is the weight. As a result, I

    > find
    > > myself using it as an ultraportable notebook more than a tablet. It is a
    > > great notebook, but consequently I am missing some of the benefits I

    > wanted
    > > from the tablet.

    > It looks as if you are at the same crossroads I am :) I have spent about a
    > week looking into this and I keep coming back to my toshiba. According to
    > much of the benchmarking being done the tosh does very well, it has sd,

    cf,
    > bluetooth, wifi, and the bonus of being also a laptop. Although as you say
    > heavy to lug around.
    >
    > If you are like me you will want the power of the tosh in slate mode and
    > that is not around yet it seems - there is a new tablet from hp being
    > announced soon so I would hang tight. I know that is what I have decided

    > do :)
    >
    > David

    1. Advertising

  3. Jim

    Jim Guest

    I own an compaq TC1000. It's perfect for the office,
    conference rooms, notetaking, home on the wireless
    network. Seriously, it is a gem.

    Unfortunately, it is slow. I'm looking forward to the
    next version from Compaq.

    I have made several calls to technical support, and each
    time they have been extremely helpful. Compared to my
    last 12 years of Toshiba's laptop support, I'd buy an
    HP/Compaq tablet again, just for that reason.

    In summary, wait for the next version of HP/Compaq then
    do a reevaluation.

    jim