SY-5EHM [ORIGINAL] and K62/500

Discussion in 'Soyo' started by John Matlock, Jan 11, 2005.

  1. John Matlock

    John Matlock Guest

    Hello -

    would appreciate any help you can provide -

    I have my old SY-5EHM original version mobo installed in my parents' machine -
    went to upgrade the CPU to an AMD K6/2-500. I made the required jumper
    setting changes as spelled out in Soyo's latest quick install guide for that
    mobo, but it still sees the CPU as only a K6/2-400! Is this a BIOS upgrade
    issue? I also have 2 PC100 SDRAM DIMMs installed, 1 128mb and a 32mb.

    thanks!

    JJM

    1. Advertising

  2. AndyC

    AndyC Guest

    John Matlock wrote:
    > Hello -
    >
    > would appreciate any help you can provide -
    >
    > I have my old SY-5EHM original version mobo installed in my parents'

    machine -
    > went to upgrade the CPU to an AMD K6/2-500. I made the required

    jumper
    > setting changes as spelled out in Soyo's latest quick install guide

    for that
    > mobo, but it still sees the CPU as only a K6/2-400! Is this a BIOS

    upgrade
    > issue? I also have 2 PC100 SDRAM DIMMs installed, 1 128mb and a

    32mb.

    > thanks!
    >
    > JJM

    You said you changed the jumpers, but did you set the multiplier via
    dip switch SW1? For a 5X multiplier switches 1-2-3 need to be set at
    off-on-on.

    Andy

    1. Advertising

  3. JamMail

    JamMail Guest

    "John Matlock" <> wrote in message news:%DSEd.8021$...
    > Hello -
    >
    > would appreciate any help you can provide -
    >
    > I have my old SY-5EHM original version mobo installed in my parents' machine -
    > went to upgrade the CPU to an AMD K6/2-500. I made the required jumper
    > setting changes as spelled out in Soyo's latest quick install guide for that
    > mobo, but it still sees the CPU as only a K6/2-400! Is this a BIOS upgrade
    > issue? I also have 2 PC100 SDRAM DIMMs installed, 1 128mb and a 32mb.
    >
    > thanks!
    >
    > JJM

    You havent told us if you are running the bus @66Mhz or 100Mhz, and what your multiplier is...

    100Mhz x 5 is what it should be, but 66 x 7.5 will only give you 495Mhz. Upgrading the BIOS should not be done lightly, as it has the potential to hose your system. I only do that with the computer in question plugged into a battery backup, so there is no question that the power wont be removed from the system DURING the Flash.

  4. John Matlock

    John Matlock Guest

    I fixed the problem - once I figured out which version of the mainboard I was
    working with and got the correct quick install guide downloaded, I got the
    correct settings for 100mhz x 5 but it still only saw it as a 400mhz. The
    ultimate fix was to flash the BIOS to the latest version. Now all is well.