    What is wrong with Soyo? Do they realize that their software
    does not work?

    eb
    Electro Brain, Feb 24, 2005

  2. Electro Brain

    SleeperMan Guest

    Electro Brain wrote:
    > Do any of the BIOS upgrades work? I wanted to put new 200 gig
    > hard drive in my system, so I upgraded the BIOS to b6. Windows
    > XP became very unstable, constantly crashing or locking up.
    >
    > I tried b7 also and the same thing. What is wrong with these
    > BIOS upgrades? (I did clear the CMOS after flashing).
    >
    > Has anyone successfully upgraded to the newest BIOS versions?
    > What is wrong with Soyo? Do they realize that their software
    > does not work?
    >
    > eb

    you should upgrade only to those versions which are listed under SOYO
    downloads. then only to latest ones. SO, if you have tbred CPU, get ver 9,
    if not get ver 7. I succesfully ran even ver 8, which was removed from d/l
    list, now i have ver 9 and it's OK. Do you have two RAM modules by any
    chance? If so, this is the reason for your instability.
    SleeperMan, Feb 25, 2005

  3. "SleeperMan" <> wrote in message
    > Electro Brain wrote:
    >> Do any of the BIOS upgrades work? I wanted to put new 200 gig
    >> hard drive in my system, so I upgraded the BIOS to b6. Windows
    >> XP became very unstable, constantly crashing or locking up.
    >>
    >> I tried b7 also and the same thing. What is wrong with these
    >> BIOS upgrades? (I did clear the CMOS after flashing).
    >>
    >> Has anyone successfully upgraded to the newest BIOS versions?
    >> What is wrong with Soyo? Do they realize that their software
    >> does not work?
    >>
    >> eb

    > you should upgrade only to those versions which are listed under SOYO
    > downloads. then only to latest ones. SO, if you have tbred CPU, get ver 9,
    > if not get ver 7. I succesfully ran even ver 8, which was removed from d/l
    > list, now i have ver 9 and it's OK. Do you have two RAM modules by any
    > chance? If so, this is the reason for your instability.

    Yes, I have two RAM modules, but I have had those since I put the
    system together and it has been very stable.

    Do the later BIOS versions have a problem with two SIMMs that the
    earlier versions didn't?

    Also, how to you put a Thunderbird core CPU in, I thought it supported
    the Palamino only?
    Electro Brain, Feb 25, 2005
  4. Electro Brain

    SleeperMan Guest

    Electro Brain wrote:
    > "SleeperMan" <> wrote in message
    >> Electro Brain wrote:
    >>> Do any of the BIOS upgrades work? I wanted to put new 200 gig
    >>> hard drive in my system, so I upgraded the BIOS to b6. Windows
    >>> XP became very unstable, constantly crashing or locking up.
    >>>
    >>> I tried b7 also and the same thing. What is wrong with these
    >>> BIOS upgrades? (I did clear the CMOS after flashing).
    >>>
    >>> Has anyone successfully upgraded to the newest BIOS versions?
    >>> What is wrong with Soyo? Do they realize that their software
    >>> does not work?
    >>>
    >>> eb

    >> you should upgrade only to those versions which are listed under SOYO
    >> downloads. then only to latest ones. SO, if you have tbred CPU, get
    >> ver 9, if not get ver 7. I succesfully ran even ver 8, which was
    >> removed from d/l list, now i have ver 9 and it's OK. Do you have two
    >> RAM modules by any chance? If so, this is the reason for your
    >> instability.

    > Yes, I have two RAM modules, but I have had those since I put the
    > system together and it has been very stable.
    >
    > Do the later BIOS versions have a problem with two SIMMs that the
    > earlier versions didn't?
    >
    > Also, how to you put a Thunderbird core CPU in, I thought it supported
    > the Palamino only?

    Many, if not all users did have problems when using two ram modules...
    although i did hear that one option is to try put them in slots 1 and 3 and
    leave middle one empty. But, best option is to replace two RAM's with one...
    I know i put two modules in and PC ran fine, but i noticed when burning ANY
    CDR, it burned fine, while data was corrupted...very strange, but true. But,
    generally many resellers would exchange two modules with one bigger, for
    maybe very small amount.

    This board does support tbred, but only if you apply the mod - this means
    some soldering skills...you must add one capacitor and remove one. if you
    intend to do it, i can send you more detailed info, but i doubt you'll
    still get any 133 MHz based CPU out there...but if you do, i was told that
    2400 was the biggest, since 2600 was quickly out of production. I made this
    change and my PC works fine now with 2400+, and i run it on 140MHz fsb, so
    it shows as 2600+.
    SleeperMan, Feb 26, 2005
  5. Before restoring my BIOS to the old version (v3, current v7) I thought
    I would poke around a bit. I noticed that the settings for the memory
    was set to "Manual." I don't remember what the exact manual settings were,
    but I changed it from "Manual" to "by SPD," which reads the setting from
    the SIMMs, and my system is running very solid again.

    I've done some soldering, but not enough to trust myself on the motherboard,
    so I'll stick with my current CPU.

    I just wish Half Life 2 would run a little better!

    Electro Brain, Feb 27, 2005
  6. Electro Brain

    SleeperMan Guest

    Electro Brain wrote:
    > Before restoring my BIOS to the old version (v3, current v7) I thought
    > I would poke around a bit. I noticed that the settings for the memory
    > was set to "Manual." I don't remember what the exact manual settings
    > were, but I changed it from "Manual" to "by SPD," which reads the
    > setting from the SIMMs, and my system is running very solid again.
    >
    > I've done some soldering, but not enough to trust myself on the
    > motherboard, so I'll stick with my current CPU.
    >
    > I just wish Half Life 2 would run a little better!

    Well, what can i say...good luck and a new mobo soon...
    BTW...try to set your FSB frequency to 140 MHz instead to default 133 - it
    will speed up your PC and it won't hurt...it's in COMBO part of BIOS.

    SleeperMan, Feb 28, 2005