SY-K7VTA PRO - USB ports not compatible w/USB2

Discussion in 'Soyo' started by Paul Marihew, Sep 30, 2004.

  1. Paul Marihew

    Paul Marihew Guest

    Hello all,

    I have an SY-K7VTA Pro / 1.2GHz AMD Athlon / XP Pro / 640 MB RAM.

    Connecting a USB2 device (Epson Printer) causes the "blue screen of death"
    and
    requires that I disconnect the printer from the USB port before a reset will
    complete.

    I've purchased a PCI USB2 card, however connecting this printer through the
    new USB2 port yields the
    same results (BSOD.) The printer works just fine, however, on my laptop
    (USB1) and another desktop
    (also USB1).

    I've seen one fix suggesting flashing the BIOS with the latest-I have done
    so
    but to no avail. Does anyone have any suggestions, ideas, direction??

    Thanks for reading
    Paul

    Paul Marihew, Sep 30, 2004

  2. Paul Marihew

    JimBob Guest

    Hello,
    Sorry to hear your having so much trouble. I have a Canon MP730 printer
    which works fine with my SY-K7VTA Pro motherboard. I have the kvtp2ba1.bin
    BIOS installed. My printer is for a USB1. I can only suggest your make sure
    in the BIOS under chipset features make sure the onchip usb is enabled and
    under pnp/pci configuration make sure assign irq for usb is enabled. I'm not
    familiar with the Epson but the Canon requires the printer driver to be
    installed before connecting the usb cable. You probably already know all
    this but thought I would mention it just in case. Good luck.

    JimBob, Sep 30, 2004

  3. Paul Marihew

    Paul Marihew Guest

    I have the kvtp2ba1.bin BIOS as well. My old Canon bubblejet ran flawlessly
    on this box also. The Epson manual made a *very* big deal of loading the
    print driver prior to connecting theUSB cable. I was aware of the onchip
    USB enable but didn't know about enabling the Assign IRQ for USB. Alas, it
    was already enabled and the problem remains. Thanks for your time.

    Paul

    Paul Marihew, Sep 30, 2004
  4. Paul Marihew

    JimBob Guest

    Hi,
    One other thing I forgot to mention. With my printer it also warned after
    installing the driver to not turn off the computer until all the setup of
    the printer was finished. By this I mean connecting the power cord to the
    printer, telephone cable if you have Fax, and installing the print head and
    inks and aligning the print head. After all that is accomplished then the
    very last thing is to connect the USB cable. Don't know how you printer sets
    up but thought I would mention this.

    JimBob, Oct 1, 2004
  5. Paul Marihew

    Jim B. Guest

    "Paul Marihew" <> wrote in message news:<>...

    If you bought the PCI USB2 card make sure you disable the onboard USB
    in your BIOS. If that doesn't get the PCI USB2 Card working then
    remove it and reboot the computer without either. Then shut down the
    computer and put the PCI USB2 card back in. It should now detect it as
    new hardware again. See if that helps your problem.

    You can not have two USB systems operating on one computer (onboard
    USB1 & PCI USB2 card)the system will only work with one.

    Jim B., Oct 1, 2004