SY-KT333 UP Raid Problem

Discussion in 'Soyo' started by Rick Hallman, May 29, 2006.

  1. Rick Hallman

    Rick Hallman Guest

    I recently decided to create my first Raid 1 array on my SY-KT333 UP. I
    have been using this motherboard for 2 years and I liked the idea of having
    a redundant HD incase something mechanical occurred to the first HD. Well I
    reinstalled my operating system on a new Seagate 120GB HD with a second
    identical Seagate drive running as a Hidden mirror drive. After a few days
    I had my computer restored with all my software running again. Everything
    seemed fine for about a week and then I started getting messages on boot up
    concerning "recovering the registry" or requesting that Scandisk be run on
    my HD. I sucessfully ran Scandisk but the request would popup again a few
    days later. I could see that some files were being deleted or corrupted
    because some things just quit working. I disconnected the second HD a week
    ago and Broke the mirrored array. I have not had any additional problems
    with the drive I am using alone now. I would like to try a raid 1again but
    not if it is going to be unreliable again.
    My motherboard uses a Highpoint 372 controller, I downloaded the last
    Highpoint drivers and software from the Soyo website and installed them, The
    2 Seagate 120GB drives were both Masters on the 2 separate IDE channels 3&4.
    I created the array before installing the operating system and then let
    Windows XP Pro install on the array as if it were a single hard drive. The
    hidden drive was only viewable from the Highpoint management in Windows or
    when you pressed Control-H during the boot up process.
    I was using some round after-market IDE cables for the original raid
    setup and I will change to the Seagate provided ribbon cables if I do
    reinstall the HD's in a raid configuration again. Do you have any other
    suggestions. Are there Raid issues with this motherboard that I am not
    aware of?

    Rick Hallman, May 29, 2006