SY-KT880 Dragon 2 Power Up Problem

Discussion in 'Soyo' started by Me, Jul 26, 2004.

  1. Me

    Me Guest

    Hi,

    Just wondering if anyone else has seen this problem with the SY-KT880 Dragon
    2 motherboard, or if anyone else has any ideas of what may be causing it?

    I replaced my SY-KT400 with this board and once powered up it all works
    fine, but on power on it will often (usually?) run for a few seconds and
    then turn off again. It also sometimes does the same and powers off on
    system reset or restart. I thought it was a faulty board so I retuned it for
    a replacement, but the new one does the same, although apparently not so
    frequently. I'd guess that it will successfully power up on in two attempts
    (the first one was maybe 1 in 4) and once powered up it runs just fine.

    Everthing else in the system was working fine on the old board before it
    died. I have an Enermax 480Watt CoolerGiant PSU, and tried switching it out
    for a different one with no effect. I also tried disconnecting all the
    drives, CD-ROMs etc, again with no effect. I also switched out the processor
    fan in case there's a problem with the fan detection, but there's no warning
    beep so I doubt that's the cause anyway.

    Any ideas?

    Ian
    Me, Jul 26, 2004

  2. Me

    Frank Howell Guest

    I have the same board, but I have not experienced what you have. I have been
    running it for about a month. I did have a problem on boot up durning the
    first week on setting up this board. The problem was it would boot up with
    no video. It did it about 3 times during a 5 day period. I reseated the
    video card, but I know it did it one more time after reseating, so I can't
    claim that reseating solved the problem. It just went away. Been about 3
    weeks since last seen. Have you tried fail safe settings?

    Frank Howell

    Frank Howell, Jul 26, 2004

  3. I'm not really having that problem. The problem I seem to be having is
    that my computer randomly reboots and when Windows starts back up, I
    get a bunch of serious device failures. I updated the chipset drivers
    from Soyo's website and I'm waiting to see if that fixed it. Anybody
    else have this problem?

    ==============
    PraiseChaos2026, Aug 12, 2004
  4. Me

    Jim B Guest

    Sounds like FOC is kicking in to me. The cpu fan is not running as fast as
    the board needs so the speed sensor is shutting the board down. There should
    be a setting in the BIOS to turn off FOC, setting it to disabled should fix
    the problem. Other option is to change your cpu fan to one that runs at a
    faster speed.

    Jim B, Aug 12, 2004
  5. Me

    Jim B Guest

    Your problem sounds more memory related to me, what brand of memory are you
    running? Download and run memtest to see if it shows any problems. Soyo
    motherboards have always been very picky on memory. Cheap memory causes many
    of the problems you list.

    "PraiseChaos2026" <-spam.invalid> wrote in
    message news:...
    > I'm not really having that problem. The problem I seem to be having is
    > that my computer randomly reboots and when Windows starts back up, I
    > get a bunch of serious device failures. I updated the chipset drivers
    > from Soyo's website and I'm waiting to see if that fixed it. Anybody
    > else have this problem?
    >
    > ==============

    troubleshooting newsgroups.
    Jim B, Aug 12, 2004
  6. Me

    kazikmazik Guest

    I am having a similar problem with a SY-P4VTP. It would power up the fans
    and stop. First I tried another PSU and the same thing happened. Then I took
    it out of the case and tried booting with a minimum of things connected and
    the same thing happened. Then I connected everything plus a few extra old
    hard drives without the data cables and to my surprise it went longer. Then
    a couple more hard drives on y cables and it actually booted. It runs about
    40 minutes or so and spontaneously shuts off. This is a powmax psu that came
    with the case and the other psu was also a powmax cpu. I think something in
    these psu's is goofy. I think I have to get a high price psu next.

    kazikmazik, Aug 17, 2004