SY-P4I865PE Plus Dragon 2 V1.0 problem

Discussion in 'Soyo' started by Rob, Nov 22, 2004.

  1. Rob

    Rob Guest

    Hey folks,

    I just put together a new system with the following components:

    SY-P4I865PE Plus Dragon 2 V1.0 motherboard (yes, because of the
    rebate)
    Intel P4 3.2E (prescott)
    eVGA GeForce 6800 GT
    2 x 512MB Patriot PC3200
    Windows 2000

    Now here's the problem. Everything seemed to go together fine, and the
    OS seemed to install fine, but if I try to run anything
    graphically-intensive (a game, a benchmark utility, etc.) the system
    slows down drastically and eventually hangs. When trying to run Star
    Wars: Knights of the Old Republic, I didn't even get to the main menu
    screen before it bogged down.

    I updated all my drivers and the MoBo bios, but no luck. I rechecked
    the heatsink and fan countless times, and reinstalled them, and they
    seem to be fine.

    According to MBM and Sandra, my voltages look fine but the CPU is
    running way hot, but I don't know how accurate they are. The MoBo bios
    says my temps are around 45-50degC, whereas MBM and Sandra say they're
    around 70degC! Clearly 70deg is too hot, so if in fact it is that
    warm, that could be the problem, but like I said, the heatsink and fan
    appear to be fine, so I don't know if it's really getting that hot
    that fast. It is a Prescott, so who knows.

    Unfortunately I don't have any other compatible parts (CPU, video
    card, etc.) I can swap in to try to trace the problem. I figure my
    options at this point are try a different CPU,. try a different MoBo,
    or try a watercooling system and see if it makes a difference.

    Any thoughts or similar experiences? Thanks.

    Rob

    Rob, Nov 22, 2004

  2. Rob

    peter Guest

    i can't help u with ur problem except to say i have the same mobo with a
    p4 2.4a prescott and i get the same temp readings (bios and mbm5) as u.
    i also don't know which temp to believe. does the temp rises as u
    play games or do other cpu intensive work or does it stay the same?

    tom's hardware ran a story about the 3.6 having thermal problems and
    throttling down performance. i don't know if it applies to your system,
    but here it is: http://www6.tomshardware.com/cpu/20041114/index.html

    peter, Nov 23, 2004