SY-P4I865PE Plus

Discussion in 'Soyo' started by GuessWho, Oct 23, 2006.

  1. GuessWho

    GuessWho Guest

    From day one I've not been able to get the onboard NIC to work; so I threw
    in a PCI NIC that I had sitting around and ignored the problem.

    Now I'd like to get the onboard NIC working. I've installed the Realtek
    10/100 Onboard LAN driver for XP and the system found a TrendNet
    TE100-PCBUSR Cardbus PC card. I've plugged our broadband cable into the
    onboard slot but all I get is a network cable disconnected.

    If I plug broadband cable into the Netgear NIC I can connect to the
    internet. The onboard NIC doesn't have a MAC address, the Netgear card does
    and I just checked this MSI board with an onboard LAN and it doesn't have a
    MAC address either.

    Could someone explain what I might be doing wrong with the SOYO board, or
    point me in the right direction?

    TIA,

    Wayne

    I'm not real knowledgeable about a lot of this computer stuff, but I thought
    TrendNet made cards for laptop computers and checking their website I didn't
    see any desktop LAN products.
    GuessWho, Oct 23, 2006

  2. GuessWho

    doug Guest

    "GuessWho" <> wrote in message
    > From day one I've not been able to get the onboard NIC to work; so I threw
    > in a PCI NIC that I had sitting around and ignored the problem.
    >
    > Now I'd like to get the onboard NIC working. I've installed the Realtek
    > 10/100 Onboard LAN driver for XP and the system found a TrendNet
    > TE100-PCBUSR Cardbus PC card. I've plugged our broadband cable into the
    > onboard slot but all I get is a network cable disconnected.
    >
    > If I plug broadband cable into the Netgear NIC I can connect to the
    > internet. The onboard NIC doesn't have a MAC address, the Netgear card
    > does and I just checked this MSI board with an onboard LAN and it doesn't
    > have a MAC address either.
    >
    > Could someone explain what I might be doing wrong with the SOYO board, or
    > point me in the right direction?
    >
    > TIA,
    >
    > Wayne
    >
    > I'm not real knowledgeable about a lot of this computer stuff, but I
    > thought TrendNet made cards for laptop computers and checking their
    > website I didn't see any desktop LAN products.

    I don't think you'll get it to work. I have the same board - and the same
    problem! It's just a POS setup.
    I also have a PCI NIC and it's worked fine for 2 years. You'll cause
    yourself more aggravation than it's worth!

    doug
    doug, Oct 24, 2006

  3. GuessWho

    Andy Guest

    This board brings back bad memories of the Soyo rebate ripoff. The
    Realtek software has a Windiag folder that contains a diagnostic
    program W2kdiag. When I ran it, if I remember correctly, the LAN
    interface was able to received data, but couldn't transmit data.

    Andy, Oct 24, 2006
  4. GuessWho

    GuessWho Guest

    Thanx guys.

    I did get this board from Newegg on a FAR promo and I actually received my
    $75 in rebates after an email to SOYO and a resubmission via certified mail.
    The board has performed well although there isn't much in the way of
    overclocking capability. Since this is a third computer used at our Summer
    camp overclocking isn't an issue.

    Initially there was a need to get the machine up and running stable, but now
    it is just a challenge to get the onboard LAN working. We're retired; so I
    have a lot of time to fool around with these homebuilts, especially during
    our long Winters.

    Fooling around last night, I seem to have gotten the onboard LAN working but
    I have no idea just what I did to get it working.

    Wayne
    GuessWho, Oct 24, 2006
  5. "GuessWho" <> wrote in news:DAl%g.10514$0L1.963
    @twister.nyroc.rr.com:

    > Thanx guys.
    >
    > I did get this board from Newegg on a FAR promo and I actually received

    my
    > $75 in rebates after an email to SOYO and a resubmission via certified

    mail.
    > Fooling around last night, I seem to have gotten the onboard LAN working

    but
    > I have no idea just what I did to get it working.
    >

    > Wayne

    I also got the rebate but NewEgg had to intervene. The on-board NIC chip
    has worked for me from day 1. I am just lucky, I guess. I do use the
    driver set downloaded from RealTek. Don't know if that makes any
    difference?

    //rus\\
    Meander Holefield, Nov 30, 2006