    like to be able to work on email on two seperate copies of outlook, but
    be able to sync any changes!

    Pete

    Pete Evans, Jun 6, 2005

  2. Pete Evans wrote:

    > I have two laptops. One I use as a "desktop", the other I take on my
    > travels.
    > Can I synchronise the data & apps between the two? Specifically, I'd
    > like to be able to work on email on two seperate copies of outlook, but
    > be able to sync any changes!

    An easy way to synchronize email is using the IMAP protocol instead of POP.

    Follow-ups set.

    Thor

    --
    http://www.anta.net/OH2GDF

    Thor Kottelin, Jun 6, 2005

  3. Pete Evans

    Joe Davis Guest

    Pete,

    There are a lot of programs that promise to synch Outlook, but I've not been
    very happy with any that I've tried. The biggest problem is when you get
    changes on both machines between synchs. Another problem is different
    versions of Outlook. Apparently MS changed the API between versions and
    some don't synch well with each other.

    If you truly just use the 2nd laptop when you travel, you might try creating
    a Briefcase (included with Windows) and putting all the Outlook files in
    there and then synching the Briefcase everytime you travel, assuming you
    have the same version of Outlook and the same version of Windows on both
    machines.

    I end up using about 4 or 5 different computers every month and am seriously
    considering going to a web-based service. Keeping all my Outlook-type info
    on the Web and accessing it with a browser. Has anyone tried using
    HyperOffice or MyOffice? Are there any other systems anyone would
    recommend? The problem so far seems to be that a secure socket system slows
    the performance down to where it really lags unless you have a fast
    connection.

    Joe Davis

    Joe Davis, Jun 7, 2005