System hangs on boot after BIOS upgrade

Discussion in 'Asus' started by Glenn, Nov 19, 2009.

  1. Glenn

    Glenn Guest

    Hello,

    I've just upgraded my bios to 2302 on my M2A-VM HDMI board.

    The upgrade seemed to go OK and I got a message saying "Rebooting in 5
    seconds". The system rebooted but I don't get the POST screen.

    I backed up my previous bios version which I have on a boot cd but the
    POST doesn't even get that far. I have a black screen and the HDD
    light on the front of my system stays on continuously.

    I've tried a CMOS reset but no joy there.

    I saw something about a hardware bios reset which I thought might help
    but I can't see how to do this.

    Any suggestions to help me please?

    Thanks
    Glenn
    Glenn, Nov 19, 2009

  2. Glenn

    Glenn Guest

    I meant bios 2203.

    Glenn, Nov 19, 2009

  3. Glenn

    Paul Guest

    Glenn wrote:
    > I meant bios 2203.
    >

    > On Nov 19, 4:25 pm, Glenn <> wrote:
    >> Hello,
    >>
    >> I've just upgraded my bios to 2302 on my M2A-VM HDMI board.
    >>
    >> The upgrade seemed to go OK and I got a message saying "Rebooting in 5
    >> seconds". The system rebooted but I don't get the POST screen.
    >>
    >> I backed up my previous bios version which I have on a boot cd but the
    >> POST doesn't even get that far. I have a black screen and the HDD
    >> light on the front of my system stays on continuously.
    >>
    >> I've tried a CMOS reset but no joy there.
    >>
    >> I saw something about a hardware bios reset which I thought might help
    >> but I can't see how to do this.
    >>
    >> Any suggestions to help me please?
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >> Glenn

    A CMOS reset (with all power removed), was one possibility, but you've
    already tried that.

    http://img.tomshardware.com/us/2007/12/26/phenom_motherboards/asus-m2a-vm-hdmi-board.jpg

    It looks like that board doesn't have a socketed BIOS chip ? The chip near
    the SATA plugs, looks like it could be the BIOS chip. Sometimes this will
    have a paper label stuck on it, with the BIOS release number printed on it.
    I don't see the usual PLCC socket there, to make the chip easy to remove.
    If the chip was removable, you could order another chip from badflash.com .
    Some Intel boards now, use serial flash, which is soldered to the board,
    and if you had a board like that, you'd be screwed. If the BIOS chip is
    soldered to the board, then you can't (easily) replace the chip to get
    out of this situation. (Having done some soldering work on a few motherboards,
    I don't recommend it to others. The copper foil is poor quality, and easy
    to lift by accident. Fortunately for me, I never damaged anything critical
    to motherboard operation. The circuit boards my company used to make,
    were as hard as rock, and could take a lot more abuse than a motherboard
    can.)

    Section 2.1.6 of your user manual, claims the board has "CrashFree BIOS 3".
    The BIOS is split into two sections. If the flash update did not erase
    the boot block, then the boot block could look for a CD in the CD drive,
    and reflash the BIOS based on finding a BIOS file at the root level
    of the CD. That is the closest feature you've got, to a hardware reset.
    If the boot block was erased by the flash tool you used, then there
    is nothing at all to POST with.

    BIOS designs should be such, that they *never* erase the boot block.
    That is the whole idea of "boot block recovery", that there
    is one section of BIOS which is never touched, allowing you to
    bootstrap yourself out of a mess. But Asus has on many occasions,
    updated both boot block and main BIOS in an update, so on those
    occasions, the user has no recovery mode if the flash update fails
    somewhere in the middle.

    Maybe you'll be lucky, and your board will be different, and have
    a brown socket holding a flash chip. If so, there is some possibility
    of replacing the flash with another one.

    If I had your motherboard, and I noticed the BIOS chip was not
    socketed, you would not catch me updating the BIOS! And if I needed
    a BIOS update, to use the processor I bought to go with the new motherboard,
    I would have sent the motherboard back. I think shipping motherboards
    with BIOS chips soldered to the motherboard, is reprehensible.
    Only cheesy manufacturers do that.

    Paul
    Paul, Nov 19, 2009
  4. Glenn

    Glenn Guest

    Glenn, Nov 23, 2009
  5. "Glenn" <> wrote in message
    On Nov 19, 7:12 pm, Paul <> wrote:
> [...]

    > is one section of BIOS which is never touched, allowing you to
    > bootstrap yourself out of a mess. But Asus has on many occasions,
    > updated both boot block and main BIOS in an update, so on those
    > occasions, the user has no recovery mode if the flash update fails
    > somewhere in the middle.
    >
    > Maybe you'll be lucky, and your board will be different, and have
    > a brown socket holding a flash chip. If so, there is some possibility
    > of replacing the flash with another one.
    >
    > If I had your motherboard, and I noticed the BIOS chip was not
    > socketed, you would not catch me updating the BIOS! And if I needed
    > a BIOS update, to use the processor I bought to go with the new
    > motherboard,
    > I would have sent the motherboard back. I think shipping motherboards
    > with BIOS chips soldered to the motherboard, is reprehensible.

    Paul,

    Yup, the bios chip is soldered on to the board and it seems that the
    bios has been erased.

    Oh well, new motherborad.

    Glenn

    Curious, what is it that you were trying to gain with the update??
    W****n S***********g, Nov 23, 2009