    Dale

    --
    Email:

    dale.j., Jul 8, 2004

  2. In article <-kc.rr.com>,
    dale.j. <> wrote:

    > I happened to be looking at adding some more memory to my 533 dual G4
    > and brought up system profiler to see what I have for open slots, I show
    > one, but what caught my eye was system profiler says I have PC 100
    > memory installed (640 Meg), when it should be PC133. This is OS 10.3.4,
    > system profile version 4.0.4. I still have the packing slip from
    > Crucial showing PC-133. I'll have to open it up and look on the memory,
    > but I'm sure that's what I put in a couple of years ago. Will the
    > computer even boot up with PC-100 memory when it should be PC133?
    >
    > The dual G4 533 has 133 mhz buss speed. What the heck gives, is system
    > profiler wrong maybe?

    Probably. You're right that the computer probably wouldn't boot up if
    it was PC100.

    Send only plain text messages under 32K to the Reply-To address.
    This mailbox is filtered aggressively to thwart spam and viruses.

    Jerry Kindall, Jul 8, 2004

  3. dale.j.

    Chas Guest

    Jerry Kindall wrote:

    > In article <-kc.rr.com>,
    > dale.j. <> wrote:
    >

    >>I happened to be looking at adding some more memory to my 533 dual G4
    >>and brought up system profiler to see what I have for open slots, I show
    >>one, but what caught my eye was system profiler says I have PC 100
    >>memory installed (640 Meg), when it should be PC133. This is OS 10.3.4,
    >>system profile version 4.0.4. I still have the packing slip from
    >>Crucial showing PC-133. I'll have to open it up and look on the memory,
    >>but I'm sure that's what I put in a couple of years ago. Will the
    >>computer even boot up with PC-100 memory when it should be PC133?
    >>
    >>The dual G4 533 has 133 mhz buss speed. What the heck gives, is system
    >>profiler wrong maybe?

    > Probably. You're right that the computer probably wouldn't boot up if
    > it was PC100.

    Yes it will. The OP *might* have a stick of RAM which is PC100 which'll
    cause the system to ramp the speed down to the lowest common
    denominator, likely in view of the amount of memory indicated - as there
    are only 3 RAM slots, you'd probably have 1 x 128 + 2 x 256, or 1 x 128
    + 1 x 512. PC100 will work just fine, albeit a tad slower.

    =:~)

    --
    "The day Microsoft makes something that doesn't suck is probably the day
    they start making vacuum cleaners." - Ernest Jan Plugge

    news at cdss dot fsnet dot co dot uk

    Chas, Jul 8, 2004
  4. On 2004-07-08 15:35:43 -0400, "dale.j. " <> said:

    > I happened to be looking at adding some more memory to my 533 dual G4
    > and brought up system profiler to see what I have for open slots, I
    > show one, but what caught my eye was system profiler says I have PC 100
    > memory installed (640 Meg), when it should be PC133. This is OS
    > 10.3.4, system profile version 4.0.4. I still have the packing slip
    > from Crucial showing PC-133. I'll have to open it up and look on the
    > memory, but I'm sure that's what I put in a couple of years ago. Will
    > the computer even boot up with PC-100 memory when it should be PC133?
    >
    > The dual G4 533 has 133 mhz buss speed. What the heck gives, is system
    > profiler wrong maybe?

    Yes. This is a known bug in System Profiler that it can report PC-133
    RAM as PC-100.

    - Chris

    Christopher Wolf, Jul 9, 2004
  5. dale.j.

    dale.j. Guest

    In article <2004070901161216807%cwolf@maccom>,
    Christopher Wolf <> wrote:

    > On 2004-07-08 15:35:43 -0400, "dale.j. " <> said:
    >
    > > I happened to be looking at adding some more memory to my 533 dual G4
    > > and brought up system profiler to see what I have for open slots, I
    > > show one, but what caught my eye was system profiler says I have PC 100
    > > memory installed (640 Meg), when it should be PC133. This is OS
    > > 10.3.4, system profile version 4.0.4. I still have the packing slip
    > > from Crucial showing PC-133. I'll have to open it up and look on the
    > > memory, but I'm sure that's what I put in a couple of years ago. Will
    > > the computer even boot up with PC-100 memory when it should be PC133?
    > >
    > > The dual G4 533 has 133 mhz buss speed. What the heck gives, is system
    > > profiler wrong maybe?

    > Yes. This is a known bug in System Profiler that it can report PC-133
    > RAM as PC-100.
    >
    > - Chris

    Funny they have not fixed it by now. Thanks for the info. I'm going to
    check though next time I turn it off.

    Dale

    --
    Email: