System Won't Boot With Connect3D 9600XT

Discussion in 'AOpen' started by Andrew Manore, Feb 13, 2004.

  1. A newly purchased Connect3D ATI Radeon 9600 XT is not booting in the
    AGP slot of my AOpen AX3SP Pro motherboard (Intel 815EP chipset).

    The AGP slot is 4X compliant, so it should be working with this card.
    The card requires a 1.5V 4X or 0.8V 8X AGP slot.

    The AX3SP Pro is equipped with "Dr. BIOS", or somesuch, which notifies
    the user of problems with a (rather lousy) synthesized voice. It tells
    me: "Your AGP may have a problem". The monitor doesn't appear to be
    receiving a signal.

    There is only one relevant BIOS settings for AGP; an option to set the
    slot at 'Auto' or '2X'. The slot is currently set at 'Auto'.

    This is the second 9600 XT I've received from this manufacturer. I had
    the same problems with the first one, which caused me to return it for
    an exchange.

    I've had a Radeon 9000 and an Nvidia GeForce FX 5200 installed in this
    AGP slot, and both worked fine. As far as I know, the FX 5200 requires
    at least a 4X AGP slot.

    Any ideas?

    Thanks!

    --
    Andrew Manore

    Andrew Manore, Feb 13, 2004

  2. Andrew Manore

    Nystagmus Guest

    "Andrew Manore" <> wrote in message
    > A newly purchased Connect3D ATI Radeon 9600 XT is not booting in the
    > AGP slot of my AOpen AX3SP Pro motherboard (Intel 815EP chipset).
    >
    > The AGP slot is 4X compliant, so it should be working with this card.
    > The card requires a 1.5V 4X or 0.8V 8X AGP slot.
    >
    > The AX3SP Pro is equipped with "Dr. BIOS", or somesuch, which notifies
    > the user of problems with a (rather lousy) synthesized voice. It tells
    > me: "Your AGP may have a problem". The monitor doesn't appear to be
    > receiving a signal.
    >
    > There is only one relevant BIOS settings for AGP; an option to set the
    > slot at 'Auto' or '2X'. The slot is currently set at 'Auto'.
    >
    > This is the second 9600 XT I've received from this manufacturer. I had
    > the same problems with the first one, which caused me to return it for
    > an exchange.
    >
    > I've had a Radeon 9000 and an Nvidia GeForce FX 5200 installed in this
    > AGP slot, and both worked fine. As far as I know, the FX 5200 requires
    > at least a 4X AGP slot.
    >
    > Any ideas?
    >
    > Thanks!
    >

    > --
    > Andrew Manore

    Did you uninstall all previous video drivers?
    Did you clear the BIOS? For some reason I have had to clear the BIOS
    whenever I installed new hardware.

    Nystagmus

    ---

    Nystagmus, Feb 13, 2004

  3. Andrew Manore

    Rojo Habe Guest

    Is the 9600 the renamed 8500 range? There was a problem with the 8500DV
    where the machine wouldn't boot unless you disabled the firewire port. If
    your card has a firewire port you can test this. There'll be a little red
    jumper link on the card. If the PC boots with this link removed, there's
    the problem. In most cases this was solved by a BIOS update for the
    motherboard (or you could just leave the jumper off if you don't need to use
    the firewire port).

    If your card has a firewire port, look into this. I'm sorry I don't have a
    picture of the card to show you where the link is; maybe someone else on
    this board could supply this?

    Rojo Habe, Feb 13, 2004
  4. Andrew Manore

    Piers James Guest

    9600 range is not the renamed 8500 AFAIK.

    Piers James, Feb 13, 2004
  5. "Nystagmus" <> wrote in message

    > Did you uninstall all previous video drivers?
    > Did you clear the BIOS? For some reason I have had to clear the BIOS
    > whenever I installed new hardware.

    I uninstalled the previous card's drivers, and reset all BIOS settings
    to setup defaults. Unfortunately, that didn't work. I tried removing
    the CMOS battery and unplugging the system, but still no results with
    the card.

    I'd try the card in a different motherboard, but I don't have one with
    a compliant AGP slot in working condition.

    --
    Andrew Manore

    Andrew Manore, Feb 14, 2004
  6. Andrew Manore

    Rojo Habe Guest

    I stand corrected. Does the XT have a firewire port? If so, this could
    still apply.

    Rojo Habe, Feb 14, 2004
  7. Andrew Manore

    Randy Guest

    Make the card snaps in completely and if the card has a power plug that it's
    plugged into the power supply. I'm sure you did this but it always helps to
    double check.

    Randy

    Randy, Feb 14, 2004