Tablet pc as a tablet for a desktop.

Discussion in 'Tablet PC' started by rory lane, Oct 31, 2004.

  1. rory lane

    rory lane Guest

    Hi everybody.

    Can you use a tablet pc as a tablet display for a desktop?
    Can a tablet pc be a Cintiq for a desktop?

    I'm a computer artist. I have been waiting to get a tablet PC for some
    time and I'm torn between getting a tablet pc and a Wacom Cintiq. The
    Cintiq is overpriced, but one could use it with many computers over
    the years (like my current tablet). The tablet PC is going to be
    awesome, but it's a shame to think that a perfectly good (and
    expensive) tablet display will get thrown out when the rest of the
    computer is outdated in a few years. They're both terribly expensive,
    so I don't want to make any mistakes.

    If it is possible to use a tablet pc to function as a Cintiq then I'll
    get a tablet pc. Even if not then I'll probably get a tablet PC
    anyway, but it would be the coolest thing if it could. That'd be like
    getting a tablet pc AND a Cintiq for free.

    Also I'm thinking of getting a Toshiba Protoge M205. Has anyone heard
    anything about them?

    Also, do you thing that the docking station is worthwhile to get when
    getting a table pc?

    Finally, have you all found that they are fragile or inclined to
    break.
    Essentially, do you think that $300 insurance will be worth it?

    Thanks a ton.

    1. Advertising

  2. Chris H.

    Chris H. Guest

    Most Tablet PCs allow you to extend the desktop to an external monitor, if
    that's what you're asking, so you could "work" in the larger area while on
    the Tablet. You cannot use the Tablet screen as an additional screen for a
    desktop.

    A docking station depends on which model Tablet PC you would get, and
    whether you want the added expense of a docking station for the purpose of
    docking only (it isn't necessary on all Tablets).

    Insurance is a personal item. If you are traveling a lot and moving the
    Tablet around, through airports, etc., it would probably be wise. However,
    if you're only at home, never to take the Tablet outside, then it wouldn't
    be.
    --
    Chris H.
    Microsoft Windows MVP/Tablet PC

    "rory lane" <> wrote in message
    > Hi everybody.
    >
    > Can you use a tablet pc as a tablet display for a desktop?
    > Can a tablet pc be a Cintiq for a desktop?
    >
    > I'm a computer artist. I have been waiting to get a tablet PC for some
    > time and I'm torn between getting a tablet pc and a Wacom Cintiq. The
    > Cintiq is overpriced, but one could use it with many computers over
    > the years (like my current tablet). The tablet PC is going to be
    > awesome, but it's a shame to think that a perfectly good (and
    > expensive) tablet display will get thrown out when the rest of the
    > computer is outdated in a few years. They're both terribly expensive,
    > so I don't want to make any mistakes.
    >
    > If it is possible to use a tablet pc to function as a Cintiq then I'll
    > get a tablet pc. Even if not then I'll probably get a tablet PC
    > anyway, but it would be the coolest thing if it could. That'd be like
    > getting a tablet pc AND a Cintiq for free.
    >
    > Also I'm thinking of getting a Toshiba Protoge M205. Has anyone heard
    > anything about them?
    >
    > Also, do you thing that the docking station is worthwhile to get when
    > getting a table pc?
    >
    > Finally, have you all found that they are fragile or inclined to
    > break.
    > Essentially, do you think that $300 insurance will be worth it?
    >

    > Thanks a ton.

    1. Advertising

  3. Jan Wagner

    Jan Wagner Guest

    rory lane wrote:
    > Hi everybody.
    >
    > Can you use a tablet pc as a tablet display for a desktop?
    > Can a tablet pc be a Cintiq for a desktop?

    Nope, not directly. But it should be possible to run it like a Cintiq
    using a VNC client like http://www.tightvnc.com/ This gives you
    interaction with the desktop of the main machine on your tablet pc, and
    depending on the settings, without logging out the current user on the
    main PC. Not that I have actually tried this with my TabletPC, yet...

    As to how well the Tablet PC is suited for artist work, that you'll have
    to go and test for yourself...

    At least on my el-cheapo Acer C302Xmi (14" screen) photoshopping is a
    bit difficult because the tablet/pen is not very precise and the cursor
    usually is off by a radius of 0.5mm - 1.5mm from the pen tip, despite
    calibrating often (it helps, though). Especially bad on the screen
    edges. Murphys law says the pen obscures the cursor always when things
    get tricky, so it's not very helpful to only look at the cursor either.
    Well, I mean, the Tablet is overall pretty good for the occasional
    photoshop or illustrator, and note taking and everything MS inteded the
    Tablet PC for, plus web surfing, and lazier things like eBook reading,
    but not for 8+ hours per day of proff graphics work, at least IMHO. And
    on my Acer C302, specifically. Your mileage may vary.

    On some quality Tablet PC (that Toshiba you asked about?) matters might
    be much better. At least the viewing angle is pretty good on the Toshiba.

    Screen size / drawing surface area is also something to consider,
    10"..12" of a "typical" tablet pc and sxga, vs 15" and larger of those
    cintiq's.

    You'd get the best result if you try out (or, buy ;-) some Tablet's,
    when possible.

    cheers,
    - Jan

  4. In article <>,
    (rory lane) wrote:
    >Hi everybody.
    >
    >Can you use a tablet pc as a tablet display for a desktop?
    >Can a tablet pc be a Cintiq for a desktop?
    >
    >I'm a computer artist. I have been waiting to get a tablet PC for some
    >time and I'm torn between getting a tablet pc and a Wacom Cintiq. The
    >Cintiq is overpriced, but one could use it with many computers over
    >the years (like my current tablet). The tablet PC is going to be
    >awesome, but it's a shame to think that a perfectly good (and
    >expensive) tablet display will get thrown out when the rest of the
    >computer is outdated in a few years. They're both terribly expensive,
    >so I don't want to make any mistakes.
    >
    >If it is possible to use a tablet pc to function as a Cintiq then I'll
    >get a tablet pc. Even if not then I'll probably get a tablet PC
    >anyway, but it would be the coolest thing if it could. That'd be like
    >getting a tablet pc AND a Cintiq for free.
    >
    >Also I'm thinking of getting a Toshiba Protoge M205. Has anyone heard
    >anything about them?
    >
    >Also, do you thing that the docking station is worthwhile to get when
    >getting a table pc?
    >
    >Finally, have you all found that they are fragile or inclined to
    >break.
    >Essentially, do you think that $300 insurance will be worth it?
    >

    >Thanks a ton.

    When I'm not using it out in the field as a Tablet PC, I use my Motion
    1300 Tablet PC as an additional monitor for my desktop computer. That
    bit of magic is accomplished using MaxiVista, from
    http://www.maxivista.com .

    In my opinion, a docking station is essential to make a Tablet PC
    useful in the office. I use the Ethernet, USB, FireWire, and power
    supply connections on my Motion FlexDock. Without the docking
    station, I'd have to repeatedly connect and disconnect all of those
    items. With the docking station, the Tablet PC is truly "Grab and
    Go".

    I recently knocked my Tablet PC onto a concrete floor from a height of
    about 2 1/2 feet. It suffered no damage and has continued to work
    fine.
    --
    Best Wishes,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

  5. rory lane

    rory lane Guest

    Thanks for your replies

    With MAXIVISTA does the pressure sensitivity work?

    "Steve Winograd [MVP]" <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > In article <>,
    > (rory lane) wrote:
    > >Hi everybody.
    > >
    > >Can you use a tablet pc as a tablet display for a desktop?
    > >Can a tablet pc be a Cintiq for a desktop?
    > >
    > >I'm a computer artist. I have been waiting to get a tablet PC for some
    > >time and I'm torn between getting a tablet pc and a Wacom Cintiq. The
    > >Cintiq is overpriced, but one could use it with many computers over
    > >the years (like my current tablet). The tablet PC is going to be
    > >awesome, but it's a shame to think that a perfectly good (and
    > >expensive) tablet display will get thrown out when the rest of the
    > >computer is outdated in a few years. They're both terribly expensive,
    > >so I don't want to make any mistakes.
    > >
    > >If it is possible to use a tablet pc to function as a Cintiq then I'll
    > >get a tablet pc. Even if not then I'll probably get a tablet PC
    > >anyway, but it would be the coolest thing if it could. That'd be like
    > >getting a tablet pc AND a Cintiq for free.
    > >
    > >Also I'm thinking of getting a Toshiba Protoge M205. Has anyone heard
    > >anything about them?
    > >
    > >Also, do you thing that the docking station is worthwhile to get when
    > >getting a table pc?
    > >
    > >Finally, have you all found that they are fragile or inclined to
    > >break.
    > >Essentially, do you think that $300 insurance will be worth it?
    > >

    > >Thanks a ton.

    > When I'm not using it out in the field as a Tablet PC, I use my Motion
    > 1300 Tablet PC as an additional monitor for my desktop computer. That
    > bit of magic is accomplished using MaxiVista, from
    > http://www.maxivista.com .
    >
    > In my opinion, a docking station is essential to make a Tablet PC
    > useful in the office. I use the Ethernet, USB, FireWire, and power
    > supply connections on my Motion FlexDock. Without the docking
    > station, I'd have to repeatedly connect and disconnect all of those
    > items. With the docking station, the Tablet PC is truly "Grab and
    > Go".
    >
    > I recently knocked my Tablet PC onto a concrete floor from a height of
    > about 2 1/2 feet. It suffered no damage and has continued to work
    > fine.
    > --
    > Best Wishes,

    > http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

  6. In article <>,
    (rory lane) wrote:
    >> When I'm not using it out in the field as a Tablet PC, I use my Motion
    >> 1300 Tablet PC as an additional monitor for my desktop computer. That
    >> bit of magic is accomplished using MaxiVista, from
    >> http://www.maxivista.com .
    >>

    >Thanks for your replies
    >
    >With MAXIVISTA does the pressure sensitivity work?

    With MaxiVista running, the pen isn't used, because the main
    computer's mouse and keyboard control things. Tapping the screen
    causes the MaxiVista window to minimize, allowing access to other
    programs running on the Tablet PC.
    --
    Best Wishes,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

  7. Chris H.

    Chris H. Guest

    :cool: When the pen isn't used, the is no way to do anything but emulate "ink"
    because the Tablet PC digitizer is not active - so the user is back to the
    situation of faking handwriting by using a mouse. The experience is quite
    poor.

    However, using the Tablet PC as the main computer with an extended, external
    monitor, the digitizer is in full use.
    --

    > In article <>,
    > (rory lane) wrote:
    >>> When I'm not using it out in the field as a Tablet PC, I use my Motion
    >>> 1300 Tablet PC as an additional monitor for my desktop computer. That
    >>> bit of magic is accomplished using MaxiVista, from
    >>> http://www.maxivista.com .
    >>>

    >>Thanks for your replies
    >>
    >>With MAXIVISTA does the pressure sensitivity work?

    > With MaxiVista running, the pen isn't used, because the main
    > computer's mouse and keyboard control things. Tapping the screen
    > causes the MaxiVista window to minimize, allowing access to other
    > programs running on the Tablet PC.
    > --
    > Best Wishes,

    > http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

  8. romy

    romy Guest

    Tablet pc as a tablet... artist thoughts

    I use my Gateway a lot to paint in Photoshop, but I do feel VERY cramped by
    small screen size with lots of palettes open. However, if I am working on
    plant art, for eg., I take the Tablet with me to the greenhouse-- which is
    worth a lot. Mine is old enough model that ambiant light can be a problem
    on the screen (reflection, etc.)-- especially fluorescents. If you do most of
    your work in the office, I think a top-notch drawing tablet accessory is
    where your money should go. Plus, that gives you Mac and PC functionality,
    and most artists I know are cross-platform. But if you want to work on site,
    the Tablet is great.

    --romy