Tablet PC Purchase Guide

Discussion in 'Tablet PC' started by Guest, Aug 18, 2004.

  1. Guest

    Guest Guest

    So ask yourself which kind of user you are:

    1. I want a Tablet PC that I can carry around with me wherever I go, and
    replace paper and pen in its true sense.

    2. I want a desktop replacement with pen functionality.

    3. I want to use pen features in rough or wet environments.

    4. I want to play cutting-edge games on a Tablet PC.

    There's been great simplifications involved to make up this list. For a
    comprehensive list of Tablet PC comparison check out
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/tabletpc/evaluation/tours/default.mspx

    If you are the type 1 user, the NEC LitePad is your bext bet. The upcoming
    one is just under 1kg. Hold it with one hand feels just like pad and paper.
    Don't expect the Acer TravelMate C110, the ViewSonic, or the HP to match
    this, they're too heavy to be considered true pad and paper replacements.
    Hold them with one hand and you'll feel the strain just after 5 minutes or
    so.

    If you are the type 2 user, Acer TravelMate C300 fits the bill. Contains all
    the features you can crave for: pen functionality, DVD burner, large 15"
    screen, and los more.

    If you are the type 3 user, there's the HP TR3000, Xplore, Walkabout, and
    the Itronix. Presumably you can drop them at about 5 feet. Some of them are
    water resistant, too.

    If you are the type 4 user, sorry, there's no Tablet PC that offers that
    kind of power. You may be able to barely run Doom 3 on the Toshiba M200, the
    one that contains the most powerful graphics card out of the Tablet PC
    compeititon, but it would still be slow and sluggish. So the Toshiba M200
    would be your closest choice.

    Good luck on your purchase!

    Guest, Aug 18, 2004

  2. Guest

    Oliver Sturm Guest

    On Wed, 18 Aug 2004 16:19:35 +1000, Eric wrote:

    > So ask yourself which kind of user you are:
    >
    > 1. I want a Tablet PC that I can carry around with me wherever I go, and
    > replace paper and pen in its true sense.

    Sure I want that!

    > 2. I want a desktop replacement with pen functionality.

    Not really. I have several desktop PCs and a normal laptop on which I do
    lots of software development. I don't really need the Tablet to do the same
    things with, it's rather meant as a comfortable means of taking notes,
    doing presentations, handling email ... I also have an iPaq PocketPC which
    I originally intended to use for much of the same, but it let me up with
    its small screen and software compatibility problems (with desktop
    software, that is).

    > 3. I want to use pen features in rough or wet environments.

    I'm not planning to do that.

    > 4. I want to play cutting-edge games on a Tablet PC.

    I don't even do that on my desktop PCs.

    > There's been great simplifications involved to make up this list. For a
    > comprehensive list of Tablet PC comparison check out
    > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/tabletpc/evaluation/tours/default.mspx

    Well, I did read that... only there's no real comparison anywhere, is
    there? I mean, as a novice in this sector, I just don't know which features
    are important and which aren't... they list all the features of all the
    models but they don't value them.

    > If you are the type 1 user, the NEC LitePad is your bext bet. The upcoming
    > one is just under 1kg. Hold it with one hand feels just like pad and paper.
    > Don't expect the Acer TravelMate C110, the ViewSonic, or the HP to match
    > this, they're too heavy to be considered true pad and paper replacements.
    > Hold them with one hand and you'll feel the strain just after 5 minutes or
    > so.

    So it seems I'm mainly your type 1 user... I haven't seen the NEC LitePad
    yet, I'll have a look at it. Out of curiosity, why don't you mention models
    like the Electrovaya Scribbler (which has outstanding battery power that's
    important to the type 1 user) or the Motion 1400 (seems to be mentioned
    about most of all in this group)?

    > If you are the type 2 user, Acer TravelMate C300 fits the bill. Contains all
    > the features you can crave for: pen functionality, DVD burner, large 15"
    > screen, and los more.

    At first glance, it seems to me that a 15" screen may just be too large
    already... isn't it? Plus, (nearly?) all models I have seen up to now have
    a rather small resolution of 1024x768, so enlarging the screen ever more is
    really only making the machine larger, isn't it?

    > Good luck on your purchase!

    Thanks a lot for taking the time for this reply! Seems I'll have a close
    look at many things before buying...

    One other thing (I hope the others are reading this thread, too). I'm in
    London, UK. Does anybody have an idea where to go to actually look and feel
    TabletPCs?

    Oliver Sturm
    --
    omnibus ex nihilo ducendis sufficit unum
    MSN Jabber ICQ 27142619

    Oliver Sturm, Aug 18, 2004

  3. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Hello,

    From what you have told, it sounds like you would like the average
    convertable or slate style Tablet PC. That will make choosing the right
    machine much easier. From my experience, I'd like to advise you to do quite
    a lot of homework before you spend the cash. Yes, do go to a store a have a
    feel of the machines.

    For the type 1 user, which I am also, I look at three important things in a
    tablet:

    Weight
    Size
    Battery Life

    Weight - I can't emphasis enough how important weight is when it comes to
    replacing my own paper and pen. I've tried an Acer TravelMate C110 before
    and found its weight of 1.4kg uncomforable for holding with one-hand.
    Surprisingly, the Motion M1400 and Scribbler weight about the same as the
    Acer despite Acer has an integrated keyboard. Since you've mentioned about
    these other models, I assume that weight is not of major concern to you. I
    suggested the NEC because it's the lightest Tablet PC and weights about 1kg.
    I guess you could live with 1.5kg.

    Size - size matters when you want a Tablet PC that really can replace pad
    and pen. Any Tablets that have a 14" and above can be disregarded as they
    are almost certainly too big for true portability. Again, the LitePad is the
    thinnest in the entire Tablet PC category. The upcoming NEC LitePad is just
    1.1cm thin. The Fujitsu Stylistic, and Scribbler models are slightly
    thicker.

    Finally, battery life - Look for a model that gives at least 4 hours of
    battery life with one full charge of a battery. Acer fails with this, it
    gives about 2 1/2 of working hours. The Toshiba gives around 4 hours. And
    yes, the Scribbler is one of the most energy efficient tablets available
    yet, with up to 9 hours.

    If you only consider these three elements, The Scribbler sounds like what
    you want. Of course, there's much more to be considered:

    Performance
    Graphics
    Connectivity
    Expandability

    Performace - no issure for the Scribbler, it does have a Pentium M
    processor, so no worries at all. Except for playing WMV Professional videos
    may lag a little bit, but I doubt you would watch them on a tablet anyway.

    Graphics - you mentioned games are not your type, so the Intel Extreme
    Graphics is more than enough for Internet graphics and other less
    graphic-intensive games. It may be able to drive Longhorn's Aero interface
    too, but that's maybe. The Scribbler has a

    Connectivity - Again, Ethernet and Centrino both give you what you want, if
    you really want 802.11g performance, then make sure you it does have it.
    Don't worry about the upcoming 802.11n specification, it shouldn't be
    release anytime soon.

    Expandability - if you really want it, you could go for a docking station,
    which I don't its worth it. The Scribbler supports an external keyboard
    attachable to the machine, so it's quite flexible.

    Also, the Scribbler has a touchscreen and fingerprint scanner too. Pretty
    nice. : )

    Guest, Aug 18, 2004
  4. Guest

    Oliver Sturm Guest

    On Wed, 18 Aug 2004 19:27:53 +1000, Eric wrote:

    > Weight - I can't emphasis enough how important weight is when it comes to
    > replacing my own paper and pen. I've tried an Acer TravelMate C110 before
    > and found its weight of 1.4kg uncomforable for holding with one-hand.
    > Surprisingly, the Motion M1400 and Scribbler weight about the same as the
    > Acer despite Acer has an integrated keyboard. Since you've mentioned about
    > these other models, I assume that weight is not of major concern to you. I
    > suggested the NEC because it's the lightest Tablet PC and weights about 1kg.
    > I guess you could live with 1.5kg.

    I have had a look at the NEC and I got the impression that you get quite a
    lot of tradeoff with the weight... with a smaller display than many, small
    HD, small RAM, slow processor... I'm not sure I really saw the "new"
    product you have been referring to. The one I saw is here:

    http://www.nec-online.co.uk/Product/p_products.asp?Id_ProDis=2314

    Is that what you meant?

    > Size - size matters when you want a Tablet PC that really can replace pad
    > and pen. Any Tablets that have a 14" and above can be disregarded as they
    > are almost certainly too big for true portability. Again, the LitePad is the
    > thinnest in the entire Tablet PC category. The upcoming NEC LitePad is just
    > 1.1cm thin. The Fujitsu Stylistic, and Scribbler models are slightly
    > thicker.

    Most of the current models seem to have a 12" screen, which I think could
    suite me. According to the technical data, a Scribbler should be about
    1.9cm thick. Certainly, the thinner it is the better it'll look :) But I
    wonder if thickness is really important unless you have really small hands.

    > Finally, battery life - Look for a model that gives at least 4 hours of
    > battery life with one full charge of a battery. Acer fails with this, it
    > gives about 2 1/2 of working hours. The Toshiba gives around 4 hours. And
    > yes, the Scribbler is one of the most energy efficient tablets available
    > yet, with up to 9 hours.

    Battery life is certainly a major aspect for me. I reckon that as usual,
    the models that list something like 4 hours will probably go back to three
    after some time of use... that's certainly one strong argument for the
    Scribbler.

    > Graphics - you mentioned games are not your type, so the Intel Extreme
    > Graphics is more than enough for Internet graphics and other less
    > graphic-intensive games. It may be able to drive Longhorn's Aero interface
    > too, but that's maybe. The Scribbler has a

    I guess there's something missing here?

    As for graphics: I usually have Matrox G550 cards (or similar Matrox
    models) in desktop PCs for their ability to work with multi screen setups
    comfortably. I've never cared much about hardcore 3d capabilities in normal
    PCs... my wife has a PC that's a little better suited for gaming and for
    everything else we favor gaming consoles. So that's really not a concern of
    mine and if saving on the graphics power can mean more battery power, I'd
    always go the latter way.

    > Expandability - if you really want it, you could go for a docking station,
    > which I don't its worth it. The Scribbler supports an external keyboard
    > attachable to the machine, so it's quite flexible.

    I don't think I'll need a real docking station. Having an external keyboard
    and mouse will be nice on occasion and I can always attach a USB hub.

    > Also, the Scribbler has a touchscreen and fingerprint scanner too. Pretty
    > nice. : )

    Yes, I like the Scribbler... one problem seems to be getting one, though...
    I haven't found any info yet on availability in the UK (or anywhere apart
    from Canada and the USA, for that matter) and my mail to their sales
    department asking for that info went unanswered up to now. Well, I'll see.
    At the moment I'm not prepared to seriously consider any device I haven't
    laid my hands on at least once, so I'll visit some stores and look around
    first.

    Thanks a lot for your help!

    Oliver Sturm

    Oliver Sturm, Aug 18, 2004
  5. Guest

    Chris H. Guest

    Beware the battery "life," reports, Eric. Users can manage their battery
    usage for squeezing as much time out of it as possible by doing some simple
    things like turning off unnecessary devices (Bluetooth, software modems,
    infrared, etc.) and trimming the extra processes run by the CPU, however,
    when claims of an extended battery performance are made, I'd like to see
    their tests in person. :cool:
    --
    Chris H.
    Microsoft Windows MVP/Tablet PC

    Chris H., Aug 18, 2004
  6. Guest

    Guest Guest

    True, I found out that turning on WiFi and Bluetooth usually drains about an
    hour out of the maximum battery life.

    Sounds like Lithium batteries have reached their maximum rate, at around
    three or four hours, and that fuels cells are required to reach out more
    hours. I believe that the Scribbler uses a Polymer type battery, forgot the
    actual name, sorry. :)

    Guest, Aug 18, 2004
  7. Guest

    Cheryl Wise Guest

    Small correction, the Acer c300 line has a 14" screen not 15". I really like
    mine until it turned out I had a lemon. I do like the lighter weight of the
    Toshiba m205 I replaced the bum Acer with but sort of miss the internal
    combo drive. Forgot yesterday and took a pack of graphics cds with me to
    browse while I was out but I'll get used to the change sooner or later. ;-)

    They have a new version the tm250pc that should handle newer games if you
    allocate more ram to the video but I do't really consider it to be a tablet
    pc. The weight is more than some of the 17" wide screen laptops and the
    battery life is pretty pathetic.
    http://global.acer.com/products/tablet_pc/tm250pe.htm

    --
    Cheryl D. Wise
    MS-MVP-FrontPage

    Cheryl Wise, Aug 18, 2004
  8. Guest

    Oliver Sturm Guest

    > Yes, I like the Scribbler... one problem seems to be getting one, though...
    > I haven't found any info yet on availability in the UK (or anywhere apart
    > from Canada and the USA, for that matter) and my mail to their sales
    > department asking for that info went unanswered up to now. Well, I'll see.
    > At the moment I'm not prepared to seriously consider any device I haven't
    > laid my hands on at least once, so I'll visit some stores and look around
    > first.

    Well, I did that now... went up and down Tottenham Court Road in London,
    but I managed to see only two Tablet PCs, the Toshiba M200 and an Acer (111
    or something), both convertible models. I hear they don't stock that stuff
    because nobody wants it anyway... well.

    And about the Scribbler: I got replies to my mail now, but to the negative.
    They offer to ship me one to the UK if I want that, but they have no
    distributor they could refer me to. So I'll start looking a little harder
    at the M1400, I think. That has made the best overall impression to me up
    to this point.

    Thanks to everybody offering information, alos on the other thread!

    Oliver Sturm

    Oliver Sturm, Aug 19, 2004
  9. Guest

    Howard Cross Guest

    Mine 1400 was delivered today. Much nicer than the 1200. :))

    --
    howard

    Howard Cross, Aug 19, 2004
  10. Guest

    Oliver Sturm Guest

    On Thu, 19 Aug 2004 14:41:42 -0500, Howard Cross wrote:

    > Mine 1400 was delivered today. Much nicer than the 1200. :))

    Say, I read something about the M1400 being quite hot qhile in use... can
    you say anything about that?

    Oliver Sturm

    Oliver Sturm, Aug 19, 2004
  11. Guest

    Howard Cross Guest

    My 1200 ran a little warm but not something that I would consider a health
    hazard. I've only had my 1400 since 11:00 this morning and frankly it's
    spent most of that time in the docking station. I'll let you know in a day
    or so.

    --
    howard

    Howard Cross, Aug 20, 2004
  12. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Just because it doesn't have them in stock doesn't mean the tablets are not
    good. Currently the Tablet PCs and not in high demand so it is not
    surprising that they are overstocked.

    By the way, did you ask them to let you try those tablets out? I think it's
    important as you can really experiment what kind of tablet you ready want.
    Things like whether the screen looks alright outdoors, overall look and
    feel, weight, and performance.

    Sorry about your expereience on the Scribbler, I think it's one of the best
    tablets in its class and hopefully you can find other means for the
    delivery.

    By the way, here's a link to the manufacturer's website, hope that could
    help you a bit.

    Guest, Aug 20, 2004
  13. Guest

    Howard Cross Guest

    I've been using it in my lap with the hard cover on the back and short
    pants. I haven't noticed anything unusual. I don't normally wear shorts when
    I'm working so I suspect that it's operating at what I would consider to be
    a normal temperature range. As customary, user mileage may vary...

    --
    howard

    Howard Cross, Aug 20, 2004
  14. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Oh, and make sure you purchase and apply some form of screen protection
    before you ever start using your pen. I've tried sticking on an inexpensive
    plastic transparent book Covers and it would fine. It's a good choice if you
    don't want to spend too much on those dedicated screen protectors. I've
    scratched my first Tablet screenwith the pen tip and eraser and at that time
    I was quite annoyed. Lucky me there were enough dead pixels to warrant me a
    free LCD screen replacement, instead of paying US $500.

    So remember, get the screen protected, it's much cheaper replacing the
    protector than the LCD itself. Good luck on the Motion Computing, they have
    resellers in UK, so it's much easier to get one.

    Guest, Aug 20, 2004
  15. Guest

    Howard Cross Guest

    Hi Eric, I've used my M1200 heavily for 18 months in industrial settings
    w/out any screen protection and there's no apparent damage. I just may be
    lucky I guess. Now the case is a different story, it's beat all to hell!
    Scratches and nicks but none of them cross onto the display.

    One must considered the environment. Others in the NG may caution otherwise
    but I'm not planning changing this practice.

    --
    howard

    Howard Cross, Aug 20, 2004
  16. Guest

    Chris H. Guest

    Eric, I've been using various Tablet PCs for nearly two years, and have yet
    to scratch a screen. Even had one of the cats sleep on the screen of a
    slate model while it was on, and his claws didn't do any damage when he woke
    up. (And could you please quote the message to which you're responding?)

    Chris H., Aug 20, 2004
  17. Guest

    Guest Guest

    "Eric, I've been using various Tablet PCs for nearly two years, and have yet
    to scratch a screen. Even had one of the cats sleep on the screen of a
    slate model while it was on, and his claws didn't do any damage when he woke
    up. (And could you please quote the message to which you're responding?)"

    Yikes sorry again for forgetting to put the things in. ;)

    Wow, which Tablet PC is that?! I'll have a serious look at that model,
    probably a very high in sratch resistance screen using some special
    material. I would guess the Rugged models to be like that, but I guess you
    have one of the normal models. One of my tablets, especially the Acer one,
    recieved scratches from using the pen's tip. And like some other people
    quoted, dirt on the pen's tips can cause scratches. My other Motion M1200
    got a scratch on the screen by drawing too hard.

    Thanks.

    Guest, Aug 20, 2004
  18. Guest

    terri Guest

    Hi, Eric,

    I have a Motion M1200 that I used almost constantly until I got the M1300.
    I also have a Toshiba M205 and none have even a minor scratch on them. I
    also have an Acer C100 that's had some trials and travels and it doesn't
    have a scratch, either.

    I'm sure that those who use screen protectors use them for a reason. I
    tried one on a Fujitsu I had and it just wasn't comfortable for me to use .
    I know Fujitsu recommends screen protectors, but few other manufacturers do.

    If a user is comfortable with a screen protector, it's an extra layer of
    protection and certainly not a bad idea.
    --
    Terri Stratton
    Editor / Owner

    terri, Aug 20, 2004
  19. Guest

    Guest Guest

    "I have a Motion M1200 that I used almost constantly until I got the M1300.
    I also have a Toshiba M205 and none have even a minor scratch on them. I
    also have an Acer C100 that's had some trials and travels and it doesn't
    have a scratch, either."

    Interesting... sounds like I'm the unlucky user... : (

    "I'm sure that those who use screen protectors use them for a reason. I
    tried one on a Fujitsu I had and it just wasn't comfortable for me to use .
    I know Fujitsu recommends screen protectors, but few other manufacturers
    do."

    Is it glare that makes it uncomfortable? Or is it that it makes the display
    look less than perfect that makes it feel bad? So far I've tried book covers
    and dedicated screen protectors. The former makes the screen feel a little
    bit more like real paper (less smooth than the actual display), but is prone
    to dirt and the annoying air-bubbles when you apply them (fingerprints and
    dust). I recommend people to *thoroughly* clean the screen to avoid dirt
    trapped beneath the cover (which makes popped spot after applying) and use a
    ruler to scan through the screen to avoid air bubbles. On the other hand, I
    find dedicated ones quite easy to install, but I think it makes the screen
    dimmer and costs quite a bit more.

    "If a user is comfortable with a screen protector, it's an extra layer of
    protection and certainly not a bad idea."

    Certainly. I was quite depressed when my screen got scratched and found out
    the cost to replace it is about half the price of the whole machine. : )

    By the way, do you find the Cross Executive Pens to be more accurate than
    the ones supplied with the tablets? It looks modern too. :)

    Thanks.

    Guest, Aug 20, 2004
  20. Guest

    Chris H. Guest

    :cool: We'll get you trained yet, Eric. :cool: Actually, I had a Fujitsu early
    on that one of the boys (cats, two of 'em) liked for some reason. They've
    pretty much left my Motion 1300 alone, although I do have it in the base a
    lot of the time.

    One of the first thing I did with the Fujitsu was to rip off the protective
    sheet. It didn't feel natural to me at all. Sort of like trying to write
    on stale Jello. :cool:

    Chris H., Aug 20, 2004