tecra 8100 no boot

Discussion in 'Laptops' started by tonydix@worldonline.co.uk, Jun 3, 2005.

  1. Guest

    My Toshiba Tecra 8100 completely fails to boot. It does not even reach
    the Toshiba splash screen. There is some activity namely the HDD led
    comes on briefy and you can here the CD rom power up but then HDD led
    goes out and computer on led remains on with no further activity.
    Pressing the reset button just repeats the whole process.
    Pressing and holding power button for 5 secs does power down the
    machine.
    Pressing power button with F12 depressed sometimes gets to the upgrade
    BIOS screen but sometimes the screen is garbled with random characters.
    Any ideas would be greatfully recieved
    Thanks
    Tony

    1. Advertising

  2. Andrew

    Andrew Guest

    wrote:
    : My Toshiba Tecra 8100 completely fails to boot. It does not even reach
    : the Toshiba splash screen. There is some activity namely the HDD led
    : comes on briefy and you can here the CD rom power up but then HDD led
    : goes out and computer on led remains on with no further activity.
    : Pressing the reset button just repeats the whole process.
    : Pressing and holding power button for 5 secs does power down the
    : machine.
    : Pressing power button with F12 depressed sometimes gets to the upgrade
    : BIOS screen but sometimes the screen is garbled with random characters.
    : Any ideas would be greatfully recieved

    Bad memory chip? Could be a lot of things. Getting the service manual
    for the laptop would help - there are probably diagnostic procedures in
    there.

    Andrew
    --
    ----> Portland, Oregon, USA <----