Terratec DMX 6Fire: best card for both making music + playing games?!

Discussion in 'Soundcards' started by please.reply@in.groups, Sep 7, 2003.

  1. Guest

    Hi,

    Could anyone please tell me which is the best dual-purpose soundcard, so
    a card that is good for both making music and playing games?!

    So, for music making, it would need things like good ASIO 2 drivers with
    low latency for using VST instruments in Cubase, etc.. and for gaming it
    would need to support all the standards that are being used in today's
    games, like those from EASports which I play the most! And ofcourse I
    would want a card that runs perfect and doesn't give any annoying
    problems or whatever. Low CPU usage is also a good thing ofcourse. I
    will install it in a new Pentium 4 running Windows XP in case this info
    matters regarding drivers, OS related issues, etc..

    Would the Terratec DMX 6Fire 24/96 be my best choice then, or is it
    still best to get an Audigy since it has full game support and also has
    an ASIO driver? What's the latency time with the ASIO driver of the DMX
    6Fire by the way? To how low could I get it with a recent Pentium 4? I
    believe I've read an article that said that the Audigy had lower ASIO
    latency time then the DMX 6Fire? Is that correct? Or do you perhaps
    recommend another soundcard?..

    NOTE: Is it true that the DMX 6Fire, as opposed to the Audigy, doesn't
    have Direct3DSound or something, which can give problems in games?!
    Anybody can please clarify this?

    PS: does the DMX 6Fire have those small line out connectors on the back
    of the card to connect desktop monitors or does it only have the kind of
    outputs that you find on a hifi stereo equipment?

    Thanks in advance for all good feedback!!

    Mike.

    , Sep 7, 2003

  2. on Sun, 07 Sep 2003 06:37:20 GMT in news: told
    the world:

    > Would the Terratec DMX 6Fire 24/96 be my best choice then,

    I would certainly wait until Terratec is able and willing to produce
    drivers that work...

    --
    m i l e s

    m i l e s falcon, Sep 9, 2003

  3. Brian Jones Guest

    On this day of our lord, Sun, 07 Sep 2003 08:37:20 +0200,
    ps quilled:

    >Thanks in advance for all good feedback!!
    >
    >Mike.

    I think the Directsound3D hardware acceleration applies to their
    M-Audio Revolution and not the one you are looking at. Which is
    strange considering the M-Audio is geared more towards the mass
    market. I remember reading reviews for the M-Audio saying it doesn't
    support hardware accelerated DS3D but maybe that has changed in more
    recent drivers. I don't know.

    http://www.hardwarezone.com/reviews/sound/dmx/dmx.htm
    http://www.digit-life.com/articles2/terratecdmx6fire/

    Brian Jones, Sep 20, 2003
  4. Brian Jones Guest

    Ah, yes, I just found this chart and I am right. It is just the
    Terratec M-Audio Revolution that doesn't provide hardware Directsound
    or Directsound3D. Big oversight on their part as I would have bought
    one otherwise. The DMX you are looking at does provide hardware
    acceleration so you are fine in that area. Look at the chart in the
    middle of this page.

    http://www.tech-report.com/reviews/2003q2/maudio-rev/index.x?pg=1

    Brian Jones, Sep 20, 2003
  5. Fred Guest

    Brian Jones wrote:

    >Terratec M-Audio Revolution (...) doesn't provide hardware Directsound
    >or Directsound3D. Big oversight on their part as I would have bought
    >one otherwise. The DMX you are looking at does provide hardware
    >acceleration so you are fine in that area. Look at the chart in the
    >middle of this page.
    >
    >http://www.tech-report.com/reviews/2003q2/maudio-rev/index.x?pg=1

    Hi Brian,

    I have not had a look at the URL, but, while Terratec is indeed the
    maker of the DMX Fire, I can tell you for sure that Terratec does not
    make the 'M-Audio Revolution' USB card.

    Instead, the manufacturer of the Revolution is the company 'M-Audio'.
    M-Audio creates pretty sophisticated Audio recording cards/equipment,
    and more, like midi controllers (labeled 'midiman') etc. The Revolution
    is one of their latest and cheapest products.

    Terratec has its own line of external USB sound cards.

    Regards,
    Fred

    --
    the gloomy future of computing: TCPA/TCG/Palladium/NGSCB/DRM FAQ

    - english (original) http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~rja14/tcpa-faq.html
    - deutsch (transl.) http://moon.hipjoint.de/tcpa-palladium-faq-de.html

    Fred, Oct 9, 2003