Terratec EWX 24/96 and Cubase: out of sync

Discussion in 'Soundcards' started by Taras, Aug 12, 2003.

  1. Taras

    Taras Guest

    Hi!

    I have a new computer AMD XP 2600, 512 Ram, ASUS a7n8x mobo
    and two soundcards: a new Terratec EWX 24/96 and my old Audigy Player.

    I use EWX for audio playback and Audigy for MIDI

    I installed a fresh Win2000 Pro with SP3, downloaded latest EWX drivers, but
    now
    I can't get reliable svnc in ASIO multimedia setup.
    When I press "Run simulation", i get the message that it wasn't succesful
    I tried with "Detect buffer size", I even increased buffer size manually but
    it didn't help,
    whenever i hit "check Buffers an Sync", it returns error.

    If i start Cubase and try to record something everything is out of time.

    I didn't install WIN2000 as StandardPC, because my board supports APIC which
    in theory should solve the IRQ problems with ACPI (in device manager EWX has
    its's own IRQ)
    In my previous installation of Win2000 however i went with the Standard PC,
    but there i noticed that Audigy an EWX were both on the same IRQ

    Please help!

    Taras

    Taras, Aug 12, 2003

  2. Taras

    Chris Sperry Guest

    Doesn't the Teratec have its own ASIO drivers? The sync tests etc. are
    for the MME and DIRECTX emulated ASIO drivers. Forget about them if you
    can use a decent ASIO driver.

    Chris Sperry, Aug 12, 2003

  3. Taras

    SD Guest

    Forget that bit and just go for the terratec ASIO driver in the VST
    multitrack options
    Once you have selected the Terratec driver you won't see the sync test again
    on startup

    The latency is too high with the multimedia drivers for it to be of any use
    to you.

    Steve.

    SD, Aug 12, 2003
  4. Taras

    Taras Guest

    I changed to EWX asio drivers in Audio Setup, but the problem didn't go
    away. When i record a MIDI track, it records tottaly wrong and out of time.
    Notes are everywhere but there where they should be.

    It seems like the problem with multimedia driver isn't the cause but the
    symptom.

    Could it be the ACPI? But if i install it as Standard PC i end up with IRQ
    problem.

    Regards, Taras

    Taras, Aug 13, 2003
  5. Taras

    Aphelion Guest

    On Wed, 13 Aug 2003 07:58:14 +0200, "Taras"
    <> wrote:

    >I changed to EWX asio drivers in Audio Setup, but the problem didn't go
    >away. When i record a MIDI track, it records tottaly wrong and out of time.
    >Notes are everywhere but there where they should be.
    >
    >It seems like the problem with multimedia driver isn't the cause but the
    >symptom.
    >
    >Could it be the ACPI? But if i install it as Standard PC i end up with IRQ
    >problem.
    >
    >Regards, Taras

    Cubase SX or VST32

    Aphelion, Aug 13, 2003
  6. Taras

    Taras Guest

    VST32 r5.1

    Taras, Aug 13, 2003
  7. Taras

    Aphelion Guest

    On Wed, 13 Aug 2003 09:43:38 +0200, "Taras"
    <> wrote:

    >VST32 r5.1

    I'm pretty sure you're going to track it down to ACPI then.

    Have you done the standard tweaks?

    Setup XP processor scheduling to background services
    and set Cubase system priority to "Normal2".

    Problem with ACPI is it assigns IRQs when needed... but it's like
    wading through a layer of mud.

    Ap

    Aphelion, Aug 13, 2003
  8. Taras

    Taras Guest

    > I'm pretty sure you're going to track it down to ACPI then.
    >
    > Have you done the standard tweaks?
    >
    > Setup XP processor scheduling to background services
    > and set Cubase system priority to "Normal2".
    >
    > Problem with ACPI is it assigns IRQs when needed... but it's like
    > wading through a layer of mud.

    tried it, didn't help.
    thanx, anyway.
    But i feel really pissed. i threw out so much cash but the damn thing still
    won't play as it should.

    i wonder, would switching to Win XP help? or should i go for Cubase SX?
    (It won't be easy though, i'm so used to old cubase, i've been using it
    since the good old atari times. On the other hand it has 16 VST
    instruments...)

    Taras, Aug 13, 2003
  9. Taras

    doug Guest

    preferred forum for diiscussing DAW music production?

    I'm responding to a post that was widely crossposted, hoping for some advice
    about which, if any, of these ng's are widely used for discussing DAW music
    production. So far I haven't stumbled upon any that are in much use. Perhaps
    there is a web based forum that someone can recommend?

    TIA,
    Doug

    doug, Sep 18, 2003