    "On both price and performance, laptops are so competitive
    now it's surprising they weren't able to catch up with
    desktops even earlier," said iSuppli analyst Peter Lin...

    css, Jan 8, 2009

  2. css

    S.Lewis Guest

    "css" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Reuters http://xrl.us/bebvq6
    >
    > The age of the desktop PC appears to be over as its more
    > portable cousin, the laptop, surges ahead with consumers
    > clamoring for light-weight computers in funky designs for
    > use at home, in cafes and on the train to work.
    >
    > Not a single desktop model was on Amazon.com's top 10
    > selling PC and hardware list http://xrl.us/Top25Comp
    >
    > It was yet another sign that the former dominance of
    > desktop PCs is fading as wireless advances and lower prices
    > make laptops the preferred option for millions of PC users
    > around the world.
    >
    > "On both price and performance, laptops are so competitive
    > now it's surprising they weren't able to catch up with
    > desktops even earlier," said iSuppli analyst Peter Lin...

    Yep. My guess is that in 5-10 years there'll be no "PC's (desktops or
    laptops)" for me to repair anymore and it will be time for yet another
    career change......

    .....unless I learn to repair iPods, PDA's, mobile phones and Garmins. g

    S.Lewis, Jan 8, 2009

  3. css

    Adrian C Guest

    S.Lewis wrote:
    > ....unless I learn to repair iPods, PDA's, mobile phones and Garmins. g

    Writing is on the wall for all of those. Broadband wireless devices will
    replace all and talk to the cloud.

    --
    Adrian C

    Adrian C, Jan 8, 2009
  4. css

    S.Lewis Guest

    "Adrian C" <> wrote in message
    > S.Lewis wrote:
    >> ....unless I learn to repair iPods, PDA's, mobile phones and Garmins. g

    > Writing is on the wall for all of those. Broadband wireless devices will
    > replace all and talk to the cloud.
    >
    > --
    > Adrian C

    Sure. But what will be the primary device(s) used by the end-user?

    We're already down to 9" netbooks. g

    S.Lewis, Jan 8, 2009
  5. Per S.Lewis:
    >Sure. But what will be the primary device(s) used by the end-user?
    >
    >We're already down to 9" netbooks. g

    I just bought one of those couple weeks ago.

    Does up to 19 x 12 on an attached monitor.

    No moving parts except for a little CPU fan that comes on
    occasionally.

    3 USB ports for "real" mouse/keyboard/whatever....

    5-6 honest hours of battery life.

    Once they get the horsepower up some with the same battery life I
    can see it as one's only PC.
    --
    PeteCresswell

    (PeteCresswell), Jan 9, 2009
  6. css

    Ben Myers Guest

    S.Lewis wrote:
    > "Adrian C" <> wrote in message
    >> S.Lewis wrote:
    >>> ....unless I learn to repair iPods, PDA's, mobile phones and Garmins. g

    >> Writing is on the wall for all of those. Broadband wireless devices will
    >> replace all and talk to the cloud.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Adrian C

    > Sure. But what will be the primary device(s) used by the end-user?
    >
    > We're already down to 9" netbooks. g

    SOME people are down to 9" notebooks. I can't squint well enough to
    read what is on a 9" screen. Some people will claim that my age makes
    me inflexible and unwilling to change. Not true. The eyes have it.

    I think there would be a bonanza for any name brand company (HPaq,
    Lenovo or Dell) with 12" (that's TWELVE INCHES, Michael Dell!) laptop
    powered by the Atom 330 chip. Think of a laptop the size of a Dell C400
    or an IBM/Lenovo X-series, and with really low power consumption, but it
    runs right quick... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Jan 9, 2009
  7. css

    S.Lewis Guest

    "Ben Myers" <> wrote in message
    > S.Lewis wrote:
    >> "Adrian C" <> wrote in message
    >>> Writing is on the wall for all of those. Broadband wireless devices will
    >>> replace all and talk to the cloud.
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> Adrian C

    >> Sure. But what will be the primary device(s) used by the end-user?
    >>
    >> We're already down to 9" netbooks. g

    > SOME people are down to 9" notebooks. I can't squint well enough to read
    > what is on a 9" screen. Some people will claim that my age makes me
    > inflexible and unwilling to change. Not true. The eyes have it.
    >
    > I think there would be a bonanza for any name brand company (HPaq, Lenovo
    > or Dell) with 12" (that's TWELVE INCHES, Michael Dell!) laptop powered by
    > the Atom 330 chip. Think of a laptop the size of a Dell C400 or an
    > IBM/Lenovo X-series, and with really low power consumption, but it runs
    > right quick... Ben Myers

    The smaller keyboards just don't work for me. The C400 was a little
    cramped, but workable. Can't imagine using a 10" or 9" netbook.

    S.Lewis, Jan 9, 2009
  8. css

    Ben Myers Guest

    S.Lewis wrote:
    > "Ben Myers" <> wrote in message
    >> S.Lewis wrote:
    >>> "Adrian C" <> wrote in message

    >>> Sure. But what will be the primary device(s) used by the end-user?
    >>>
    >>> We're already down to 9" netbooks. g

    >> SOME people are down to 9" notebooks. I can't squint well enough to read
    >> what is on a 9" screen. Some people will claim that my age makes me
    >> inflexible and unwilling to change. Not true. The eyes have it.
    >>
    >> I think there would be a bonanza for any name brand company (HPaq, Lenovo
    >> or Dell) with 12" (that's TWELVE INCHES, Michael Dell!) laptop powered by
    >> the Atom 330 chip. Think of a laptop the size of a Dell C400 or an
    >> IBM/Lenovo X-series, and with really low power consumption, but it runs
    >> right quick... Ben Myers

    > The smaller keyboards just don't work for me. The C400 was a little
    > cramped, but workable. Can't imagine using a 10" or 9" netbook.

    Yep. Eensy teeny tiny keyboards are a pain in the ass for anyone with
    larger fingers (i.e. post puberty) or who can touch type on a full sized
    IBM Model M clicky keyboard. I have a little trouble typing on my 12"
    Thinkpad X30... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Jan 9, 2009
  9. css

    Tom Lake Guest

    "css" <> wrote in message
    > Reuters http://xrl.us/bebvq6
    >
    > The age of the desktop PC appears to be over as its more
    > portable cousin, the laptop, surges ahead with consumers
    > clamoring for light-weight computers in funky designs for
    > use at home, in cafes and on the train to work.
    >
    > Not a single desktop model was on Amazon.com's top 10
    > selling PC and hardware list http://xrl.us/Top25Comp
    >
    > It was yet another sign that the former dominance of
    > desktop PCs is fading as wireless advances and lower prices
    > make laptops the preferred option for millions of PC users
    > around the world.

    There's a difference between not being dominant and not
    being at all. If you had titled this, "The End of Desktop Dominance"
    then I'd agree with you. There will always be a market for desktop
    sized systems where expandability is important. My desktop has
    three hard drives, two DVD burners, a Blu-Ray burner, a floppy drive,
    a tape drive, slots for SD cards and devices, twelve USB ports (of
    which nine are filled) a serial port with a device attached, a
    parallel port with a device attached and a PS/2 mouse and
    keyboard port with a bar code reader, keyboard and mouse
    attached. When a laptop can do all that, I'll switch but until then,
    I need my desktop!

    Tom Lake

    Tom Lake, Jan 9, 2009
  10. css

    BillW50 Guest

    In news:,
    (PeteCresswell) typed on Thu, 08 Jan 2009 19:38:29 -0500:
    > Per S.Lewis:
    >> Sure. But what will be the primary device(s) used by the end-user?
    >>
    >> We're already down to 9" netbooks. g

    > I just bought one of those couple weeks ago.
    >
    > Does up to 19 x 12 on an attached monitor.
    >
    > No moving parts except for a little CPU fan that comes on
    > occasionally.
    >
    > 3 USB ports for "real" mouse/keyboard/whatever....
    >
    > 5-6 honest hours of battery life.
    >
    > Once they get the horsepower up some with the same battery life I
    > can see it as one's only PC.

    How much horsepower do you need? As a 900MHz Celeron (underclocked to
    633MHz) is plenty fast enough for me. It keeps up with DVD movies and
    that is all the power I ask for. Anything more would be a waste. ;)

    --
    Bill
    2 Gateway MX6124 - Windows XP SP2

    BillW50, Jan 9, 2009
  11. css

    BillW50 Guest

    In news:gk6ahk$lm7$,
    Ben Myers typed on Thu, 08 Jan 2009 20:50:42 -0500:
    > SOME people are down to 9" notebooks. I can't squint well enough to
    > read what is on a 9" screen. Some people will claim that my age makes
    > me inflexible and unwilling to change. Not true. The eyes have it.
    >
    > I think there would be a bonanza for any name brand company (HPaq,
    > Lenovo or Dell) with 12" (that's TWELVE INCHES, Michael Dell!) laptop
    > powered by the Atom 330 chip. Think of a laptop the size of a Dell
    > C400 or an IBM/Lenovo X-series, and with really low power
    > consumption, but it runs right quick... Ben Myers

    I am using five 7 inch screens and I'm in my fifties. Although I am
    nearsighted and I can see tiny things just fine. I always have. Back in
    the luggable days, I used to use a Commodore SX-64 with a 5 inch color
    screen. That was fine for me too. ;)

    BillW50, Jan 9, 2009
  12. css

    BillW50 Guest

    In news:ivA9l.1528$,
    S.Lewis typed on Thu, 8 Jan 2009 22:44:17 -0600:
    > The smaller keyboards just don't work for me. The C400 was a little
    > cramped, but workable. Can't imagine using a 10" or 9" netbook.

    A lot of people say the same thing. Although once they get used to it,
    many claim otherwise. A lot of people say this on those netbook forums.
    Funny I am at my desk right now with a 19 inch monitor and external
    keyboard / mouse. All I have to do is to plug two things in. Although I
    am using the tiny keyboard instead. Fingers don't have the travel so far
    is what I have come to love about them.

    BillW50, Jan 9, 2009
  13. css

    BillW50 Guest

    In news:gk6ng6$skm$,
    Ben Myers typed on Fri, 09 Jan 2009 00:31:50 -0500:
    > Yep. Eensy teeny tiny keyboards are a pain in the ass for anyone with
    > larger fingers (i.e. post puberty) or who can touch type on a full
    > sized IBM Model M clicky keyboard. I have a little trouble typing on
    > my 12" Thinkpad X30... Ben Myers

    I have large fingers. Although I always preferred to type with 2 to 3
    fingers per hand. And it works well on tiny keyboards as well.

    BillW50, Jan 9, 2009
  14. css

    Ben Myers Guest

    BillW50 wrote:
    > In news:gk6ahk$lm7$,
    > Ben Myers typed on Thu, 08 Jan 2009 20:50:42 -0500:
    >> SOME people are down to 9" notebooks. I can't squint well enough to
    >> read what is on a 9" screen. Some people will claim that my age makes
    >> me inflexible and unwilling to change. Not true. The eyes have it.
    >>
    >> I think there would be a bonanza for any name brand company (HPaq,
    >> Lenovo or Dell) with 12" (that's TWELVE INCHES, Michael Dell!) laptop
    >> powered by the Atom 330 chip. Think of a laptop the size of a Dell
    >> C400 or an IBM/Lenovo X-series, and with really low power
    >> consumption, but it runs right quick... Ben Myers

    > I am using five 7 inch screens and I'm in my fifties. Although I am
    > nearsighted and I can see tiny things just fine. I always have. Back in
    > the luggable days, I used to use a Commodore SX-64 with a 5 inch color
    > screen. That was fine for me too. ;)

    Well, you are nearsighted and I am very much farsighted. This explains
    why we see things very differently. Have fun with all the 7" screens...
    Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Jan 9, 2009
  15. css

    BillW50 Guest

    In news:gk7qkf$j4i$,
    Ben Myers typed on Fri, 09 Jan 2009 10:31:27 -0500:
    > Well, you are nearsighted and I am very much farsighted. This
    > explains why we see things very differently. Have fun with all the
    > 7" screens... Ben Myers

    Doesn't cheap drug store reading glasses help people like you, Ben?

    BillW50, Jan 9, 2009
  16. css

    Roy Smith Guest

    "BillW50" <> wrote in message
    > In news:gk6ahk$lm7$,
    > Ben Myers typed on Thu, 08 Jan 2009 20:50:42 -0500:
    >> SOME people are down to 9" notebooks. I can't squint well enough to
    >> read what is on a 9" screen. Some people will claim that my age makes
    >> me inflexible and unwilling to change. Not true. The eyes have it.
    >>
    >> I think there would be a bonanza for any name brand company (HPaq,
    >> Lenovo or Dell) with 12" (that's TWELVE INCHES, Michael Dell!) laptop
    >> powered by the Atom 330 chip. Think of a laptop the size of a Dell
    >> C400 or an IBM/Lenovo X-series, and with really low power
    >> consumption, but it runs right quick... Ben Myers

    > I am using five 7 inch screens and I'm in my fifties. Although I am
    > nearsighted and I can see tiny things just fine. I always have. Back in
    > the luggable days, I used to use a Commodore SX-64 with a 5 inch color
    > screen. That was fine for me too. ;)
    >
    > --
    > Bill
    > 2 Gateway MX6124 - Windows XP SP2
    > 3 Asus EEE PC 701G4 ~ 2GB RAM ~ 16GB-SDHC
    > 2 Asus EEE PC 702G8 ~ 1GB RAM ~ 16GB-SDHC
    > Windows XP SP2 ~ Xandros Linux - Puppy - Ubuntu

    I have one of those too! Though I hated that little 5" screen and always
    had it hooked up to my Commodore 1702 monitor. I still have it and it works
    great, though I just don't use it anymore...

    --
    Roy Smith
    http://roysmith1959.spaces.live.com/

    Roy Smith, Jan 9, 2009
  17. css

    BillW50 Guest

    In news:,
    AJL typed on Fri, 09 Jan 2009 09:34:47 -0700:
    > "BillW50" <> wrote:
    >
    >> How much horsepower do you need? As a 900MHz Celeron (underclocked to
    >> 633MHz) is plenty fast enough for me. It keeps up with DVD movies and
    >> that is all the power I ask for. Anything more would be a waste. ;)

    > You are obviously not a gamer. My grandkids would laugh at your dinky
    > underpowered EeePC (they do mine)... ;)

    No I am not much of a gamer. I do play with flight simulators though (I
    used to be a pilot and I still fly RC too). Most modern laptops will
    hold up well running them. Although I never tried with these netbooks
    yet. Maybe this would be too much for them, I don't know. I should try
    this someday. ;)

    BillW50, Jan 9, 2009
  18. css

    BillW50 Guest

    In news:gk7ve1$v4g$,
    Roy Smith typed on Fri, 9 Jan 2009 10:53:16 -0600:
    > "BillW50" <> wrote in message

    [...]
    >> I am using five 7 inch screens and I'm in my fifties. Although I am
    >> nearsighted and I can see tiny things just fine. I always have. Back
    >> in the luggable days, I used to use a Commodore SX-64 with a 5 inch
    >> color screen. That was fine for me too. ;)

    > I have one of those too! Though I hated that little 5" screen and
    > always had it hooked up to my Commodore 1702 monitor. I still have
    > it and it works great, though I just don't use it anymore...

    I had other Commodores too, so I didn't look at it very much. I used it
    as a portable though and I did burn a lot of EEPROMs with it. I still
    have all of my older stuff too.

    BillW50, Jan 9, 2009
  19. In comp.sys.hp.hardware Tom Lake <> wrote:

    > "css" <> wrote in message
    >> Reuters http://xrl.us/bebvq6
    >>
    >> The age of the desktop PC appears to be over as its more
    >> portable cousin, the laptop, surges ahead with consumers
    >> clamoring for light-weight computers in funky designs for
    >> use at home, in cafes and on the train to work.
    >>
    >> Not a single desktop model was on Amazon.com's top 10
    >> selling PC and hardware list http://xrl.us/Top25Comp
    >>
    >> It was yet another sign that the former dominance of
    >> desktop PCs is fading as wireless advances and lower prices
    >> make laptops the preferred option for millions of PC users
    >> around the world.

    > There's a difference between not being dominant and not
    > being at all. If you had titled this, "The End of Desktop Dominance"
    > then I'd agree with you. There will always be a market for desktop
    > sized systems where expandability is important. My desktop has

    According to the fads 10+ years ago, we'd all be using "thin clients" now.
    That never happened either.

    Cydrome Leader, Jan 9, 2009
  20. css

    BillW50 Guest

    In news:gk88ff$26b$,
    Cydrome Leader typed on Fri, 9 Jan 2009 19:27:43 +0000 (UTC):
    > In comp.sys.hp.hardware Tom Lake <> wrote:
    >>

    >> "css" <> wrote in message
    >>> Reuters http://xrl.us/bebvq6
    >>>
    >>> The age of the desktop PC appears to be over as its more
    >>> portable cousin, the laptop, surges ahead with consumers
    >>> clamoring for light-weight computers in funky designs for
    >>> use at home, in cafes and on the train to work.
    >>>
    >>> Not a single desktop model was on Amazon.com's top 10
    >>> selling PC and hardware list http://xrl.us/Top25Comp
    >>>
    >>> It was yet another sign that the former dominance of
    >>> desktop PCs is fading as wireless advances and lower prices
    >>> make laptops the preferred option for millions of PC users
    >>> around the world.

    >> There's a difference between not being dominant and not
    >> being at all. If you had titled this, "The End of Desktop Dominance"
    >> then I'd agree with you. There will always be a market for desktop
    >> sized systems where expandability is important. My desktop has

    > According to the fads 10+ years ago, we'd all be using "thin clients"
    > now. That never happened either.

    You mean like thin laptops? If so, netbooks are really thin and only
    thick enough to hold the ports on the side. Any thinner and the ports
    have to be removed.

    BillW50, Jan 9, 2009